corner corner Castaways of the Flying Dutchman

Castaways of the Flying Dutchman
by Brian Jacques | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Phoenix, Arizona USA on 11/14/2005

status (set by PepperVL): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Monday, November 14, 2005

What happened to the boy and his dog who were trapped aboard the "Flying Dutchman", the legendary ghost sailing ship with its mad captain?

Journal Entry 2 by tabby-cat-owner at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Bookrelay, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/13/2006 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser in Bookrelay, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

mailed to yourotherleft of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania as part of the "Transportation" book relay on bookrelay.com.

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006

This came in the mail today. I'm excited, I've been wanting to read it for awhile! Thanks!!

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 15, 2007

This wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it was still an enjoyable little mystery story. Ben and Ned's relationship as friends who've been together hundreds of years is sweet. The mystery is engaging if on occasion a bit predictable. My biggest complaint about this book is that it's a bit cheesy. I can be a bit more forgiving about Jacques' slight tendency toward cheesiness in the Redwall books because of their being fantasy, but that doesn't carry over well into a story about "real" people. Here's a crowd of people desperately worried about the demise of their village and in the process of solving a complicated puzzle to save it, yet they seem all too willing to put their task on hold to enjoy large and frequent meals and desserts and teas of all sorts. I realize this book is aimed at a younger crowd then say me, but I feel like even ten years ago I would have felt a bit condescended to by this book. Nevertheless, I can't seem to help myself enjoying Jacques' books even in all the cynicism of my "advanced" age. He creates lovable whole communities of characters and always manages to keep you enough in suspense that you don't want to put the book down.

This will be headed out to CdnBlueRose who took it out of the Teen VBB. Sorry for the wait!

Journal Entry 5 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Received today, thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by CdnBlueRose from Lynden, Washington USA on Thursday, August 16, 2007

Duplicate - mailing to PepperVL today - owed from a swap - ENJOY!

Journal Entry 7 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Thursday, August 23, 2007

This arrived the other day and I forgot to journal it. Oops. *blush* Thanks for passing it on!

Journal Entry 8 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, September 08, 2007

This was a cute book, but again, not what I was expecting. I guess I thought it would have more to do with the Flying Dutchman than just using it as a jumping off point.

The mystery was, admittedly, a bit cheesy, and I didn't quite feel that the lesser characters were quite as believable (they were about to loose their homes and they did nothing?) but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Journal Entry 9 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, September 09, 2007

This is going (back) into the Teen VBB on <a href="http://www.bookobsessed.com>BookObsessed.