corner corner The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1)

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1)
by Phillip Pullman | Children's Books
Registered by NomiJo of Scarsdale, New York USA on 11/1/2005

status (set by symphonicca): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by NomiJo from Scarsdale, New York USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I dunno, I didn't want to rate this book because I found it maddening and fascinating and also sometimes dull all in turn. Then I talked with some friends who had read it, and decided not to finish the book, get sucked in to reading the rest of the trilogy. Life is too short. But I suspect that the character of Lyra (and teh golden compass) will haunt me for a while...

from amazon.com:

Amazon.com
Some books improve with age--the age of the reader, that is. Such is certainly the case with Philip Pullman's heroic, at times heart-wrenching novel, The Golden Compass, a story ostensibly for children but one perhaps even better appreciated by adults. The protagonist of this complex fantasy is young Lyra Belacqua, a precocious orphan growing up within the precincts of Oxford University. But it quickly becomes clear that Lyra's Oxford is not precisely like our own--nor is her world. For one thing, people there each have a personal daemon, the manifestation of their soul in animal form. For another, hers is a universe in which science, theology, and magic are closely allied:
As for what experimental theology was, Lyra had no more idea than the urchins. She had formed the notion that it was concerned with magic, with the movements of the stars and planets, with tiny particles of matter, but that was guesswork, really. Probably the stars had daemons just as humans did, and experimental theology involved talking to them.
Not that Lyra spends much time worrying about it; what she likes best is "clambering over the College roofs with Roger the kitchen boy who was her particular friend, to spit plum stones on the heads of passing Scholars or to hoot like owls outside a window where a tutorial was going on, or racing through the narrow streets, or stealing apples from the market, or waging war." But Lyra's carefree existence changes forever when she and her daemon, Pantalaimon, first prevent an assassination attempt against her uncle, the powerful Lord Asriel, and then overhear a secret discussion about a mysterious entity known as Dust. Soon she and Pan are swept up in a dangerous game involving disappearing children, a beautiful woman with a golden monkey daemon, a trip to the far north, and a set of allies ranging from "gyptians" to witches to an armor-clad polar bear.
In The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman has written a masterpiece that transcends genre. It is a children's book that will appeal to adults, a fantasy novel that will charm even the most hardened realist. Best of all, the author doesn't speak down to his audience, nor does he pull his punches; there is genuine terror in this book, and heartbreak, betrayal, and loss. There is also love, loyalty, and an abiding morality that infuses the story but never overwhelms it. This is one of those rare novels that one wishes would never end. Fortunately, its sequel, The Subtle Knife, will help put off that inevitability for a while longer. --Alix Wilber

Journal Entry 2 by NomiJo from Scarsdale, New York USA on Monday, November 07, 2005

This book is sailing slowly to Switzerland and Griete.

Journal Entry 3 by Griete from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, December 15, 2005

Arrived from New York today :))) Thanks a lot, seems like the perfect Holiday book!

Journal Entry 4 by Griete from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, January 06, 2006

I didn't really know what to expect when I opened this book. But I was immediately caught up in the story and just couldn't put it down, it was that good. Beautifully yet clearly written, it is a great, great story, both terribly exciting and moving at the same time. I had to go and buy the other two at once and hope this one gets read by someone who will enjoy it as much as I did!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 22, 2006

This book arrived from Switzerland today. Thank you ever so much for trading, Griete and also many thanks for the beautiful postcard you sent me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, May 19, 2006

This sure was a captivating story, keeping me on the edge of my seat all the time. I really rooted for Lyra. She is a wonderful heroine, spirited, resourceful and very brave. Some parts of the story are really heartrending, especially the part about the intercision procedure. Poor Tony Makarios! I very much liked the concept of daemons and keep wondering what kind of daemon I myself would have. The book is also very rich in atmosphere. The descriptions of Bolvangar and Svalbard with its panserbjorne conjure up the image of a dark, cold and empty world with all kinds of eerie lights up in the sky. Really spooky! Thanks for giving me the chance to read this, Griete.

Journal Entry 7 by wingSuzy26wing from Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I would like more people to enjoy this wonderful story, so this is going to be an international bookring.

Participants:

AnnevO (Netherlands)
Fifna (Netherlands)
chocdrop (UK)
catsalive (Australia)
RockDg9 (Australia)
babsdotter (Missouri, USA)(prefers US postage)
Bibliocrates (Alabama, USA)(would like to ship to Africa)
nrrdgrrl (South Africa)--> has her own copy now, so asked to be skipped
symphonicca (Peru)

you?

Journal Entry 8 by wingSuzy26wing at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 20, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (8/21/2006 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book is on its way to AnnevO. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, August 24, 2006

The book arrived in Rotterdam today. Thanks Suzy26, it looks like a great read!

Journal Entry 10 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, September 01, 2006

This book was truly captivating. I couldn't stop reading this book, even though I was distracted a lot this week. I realy liked the story and am very curious about the other books in this series.

This book will be given to Fifna tomorrow.

Journal Entry 11 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Got the book from AnnevO at the meetup in Capelle today, thanks!

Journal Entry 12 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I really enjoyed this book and I loved the characters, especially Lyra and Iorek Byrnison!
As soon as I have chocdrop's address I'll send in on its way.

Journal Entry 13 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, September 25, 2006

Mailed the book to chocdrop yesterday. Suzy26, thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 14 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 29, 2006

This book arrived today - thanks, Fifna.

I have one other ring book to read before I get to this one.

Journal Entry 15 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 13, 2006

This is a wonderful book. It is truly a rollercoaster ride - at times moving and heartbreaking, but at other times it is brutal and terrifying!

I can't wait to read the other books in the trilogy - I want to know what lies in store for Lyra next. I also hope that at some point she is reunited with Iorek.

Thank you, Suzy26 for sharing this book with me. I will get it in the post to catsalive tomorrow.

Journal Entry 16 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 21, 2006

I have this book. Thanks, chocdrop.

Journal Entry 17 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 04, 2006

What a nice story. At first I didn't like Lyra but once the story got moving I changed my mind. Iorek's a great character. I look forward to reading the other books too.

Thanks Suzy26. I'll get this off to RockDg9 ASAP.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 05, 2006

Posted this morning.

Journal Entry 19 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Arrived here today - It's great timing as I just finished a really great book this morning, so can start this one tonight! It looks good.

Journal Entry 20 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 14, 2006

This was a beautifully crafted story, with a fantastic fusion of fantasy and sci-fi which I've never encountered in another book. I liked the fact that the world was very similar to our own, and that the characters names were quite normal! It's one thing that bugs me about fantasy, why do they have to have strange names - it makes it harder to keep track.

I have PMd babsdotter for an address.

Journal Entry 21 by RockDg9 from Toowoomba, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Posted today.

Journal Entry 22 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Saturday, November 25, 2006

It's here. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 23 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Friday, December 22, 2006

I liked this and will recommend the trilogy for those Eragon/Eldest fans who don't have anywhere else to go. It does leave you hanging, so I'll be looking for book 2. Have pmed bibliocrates for the address and it will be going there soon.

Journal Entry 24 by babsdotter from Sparta, Missouri USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's on it"s way to bibliocrates today.

Journal Entry 25 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Saturday, January 06, 2007

I got it! Thanks for sending it my way babsdotter. I will get to it soonish. My boys may want to read this one too.

Journal Entry 26 by axonn from Trinity, Alabama USA on Sunday, February 25, 2007

I borrowed this book from my mom. My favorite character is Iorek Byrnison, the armored bear.

Journal Entry 27 by Bibliocrates from Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your ring Suzy26. I will ship this book to symphonicca shortly.

Journal Entry 28 by Bibliocrates at on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/11/2007 UTC) at

This book is finally on its way to symphonicca in Peru to continue the ring. I have been financially challenged lately, sorry! I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 29 by symphonicca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 10, 2007

Holy Shamolies! :)

I kinda forgot about this bookring, and am now SUPER excited to have it in my grubby little hands. This book has been recommended to be a few times, so i am looking forward to reading it! And also, since i am getting low on English reading material, i am very happy to have something to beef up Mount (mole hill?) TBR. :) And thanks to Bibliocrates for the tea bag. I freeze most of the time up here in the andes, so herbal teas are a great thing! :)

Will journal more when i have gotten into it!

__________________

Started reading May 15, 2007

Journal Entry 30 by symphonicca from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Monday, May 28, 2007

Okay. So i am hooked.

Great story--- he really is a great story-teller. And while this is meant for young adults, it really is for anyone. Lyra was a refreshingly adept, curious and strong character--- I really enjoyed reading about her adventures, but also about her reflections and musings on the world generally. I also liked that although this book is meant for kids, the good and bad stuff is not so clear cut--- i like shades of grey, especially in children's books.

The book had some twists and turns, but frankly they were not hard to see coming. What was more engaging was the purely fictional stuff--- the dust, the bears, etc... Excellent read, and i look forward to reading more of Phillip Pullman very soon.

______________

Passing on to a friend in Huancavelica--- enjoy!

Journal Entry 31 by Davo1984 from Huancavelica, Huancavelica Peru on Saturday, June 02, 2007

A great quick read. Adventure, suspence, and armored bears, what more could you want? Although now I'm stuck in small Peruvian town without the next two books.

Journal Entry 32 by symphonicca at Hostal El Reducto, 761 Ricardo Palma, Miraflores in Lima, Lima Peru on Saturday, June 16, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (6/16/2007 UTC) at Hostal El Reducto, 761 Ricardo Palma, Miraflores in Lima, Lima Peru

Left this in the book exchange shelf under the stairs, in the front lobby. Enjoy!