corner corner Screening Party

Screening Party
by Dennis Hensley | Entertainment
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/27/2002

status (set by naughtyzoot): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, October 27, 2002

This is an absolutely hilarious collection of (sort of) movie reviews, but with a twist. Somewhat in the fashion of Mystery Science Theater 3000, the author and several of his friends gather 'round the VCR (later upgraded to DVD for the benefit of the bonus tracks on "Coyote Ugly") and lambaste the film of the week. The charm of it all, though, has more to do with the personal lives of the review team; it's not clear to me how much (if any) of the details are true, but all I could think while reading was that I'd like to go to their place and watch movies with them. [Or start up a themed move-dissecting party myself... Hmmmm!] The characters banter, complain about their jobs or their love lives - in one case, a screening-party member actually breaks up with his boyfriend over "Basic Instinct" - and sometimes discuss the films. (There's a field trip to an actual movie theater near the end of the book; it's full of lively incidents, and the Skittles affair alone had me laughing out loud.) I recommend this one if you enjoy popular culture and the trashing thereof.

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, October 31, 2002

Too good to keep to myself, so I gave this to a friend.

*** Later (as in 4/26/03): The book's back in my hands - it's been read and enjoyed by at least two people (neither of whom choose to journal {ahem!} but they both said they loved it).

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, May 29, 2003

Starting a bookray for this one. Here's the mailing order:

grover3d (Charleston, WV)
rmg (Exeter, UK)
TramGirl (Melbourne, Australia) (and Hawkette)
Beatchik (San Diego, CA)
Rampallion (Evanston, IL)
mozzfan (Chicago, IL)
mojosmom (Chicago, IL)
kayters (Marietta, GA) [book last heard of here]

Starry-Starry (Powys, Wales) [sent another copy of the book]
Mom-of-one (Butler, PA) [dropped - no response to PMs re other books]
notbob (Omaha, NE) [found his own copies!]

I'll ask each person to journal the book when they receive it, PM the next person in line for their mailing address, read the book relatively promptly, and journal again when you've read it and are ready to pass it along. Hope you all enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, June 02, 2003

Controlled release:

I'm sending this to BCer grover3d in West Virginia, to start the bookray.

Journal Entry 5 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Received this one today - it was on my wish list, so I'm really anxious to read it. I have an embarrassment of BC riches here right now (5 bookring/ray books) but I'm spending every spare second reading, so I'll move this one along as soon as possible. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 6 by grover3d from Charleston, West Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 25, 2003

How, oh how, to express my love for this book? I never wanted it to end. I wanted to sit in Dennis and Tony's living room forever. How can I convince Dennis that SCREENING PARTY must have a sequel? I will promise to bring my own tasty treats. I will promise to pore over obscure tomes for fun facts. I will buy a full price ticket to Ross's movie. I will swear, upon my honor, never to use any type of pronoun when speaking about Dr. Beaverman, and will always refer to Dr. Beaverman by Dr. Beaverman's full name.

Needless to say - I loved it. I'm going to buy a copy for myself and a copy of Hensley's MISADVENTURES IN THE (213). Great, great fun....thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Journal Entry 7 by rmg from Exeter, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, July 05, 2003

Book has arrived safely in the UK. I'll read it next week while my boyfriend is working away. :-)

Journal Entry 8 by rmg from Exeter, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, August 03, 2003

I have completely loved this book! I think my favourite moments were when Tony's pretentious boyfriend Tad walks out in a big strop because everyone else is making fun of Basic Instinct (Imagine! Waxing lyrical over Verhoeven!) and Ross's demonstration of why you should follow your dreams illustrated with sachets of sugar. I am a little worried that I may have inadvertantly contributed to the demise of "British Premier" by subscribing to "Empire" instead.

Journal Entry 9 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Friday, August 15, 2003

Received this in the post today (15/8). Am really looking forward to reading it, around the 3 assignments I'm meant to working on at the moment!!

Journal Entry 10 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Sunday, August 24, 2003

I loved this book! It was funny, intelligent and certainly made me look at the movies in a totally different way! There were a couple of movies which I hadn't heard off but I read those stories anyway b/c all of the people just make me laugh with their comments, also I didn't want to miss out on anything that was happening in the personal lifes! Overall I loved this book and would recommend it to everyone, it has made me want to see the movies again so I can look at them from the screening party perspective!

Journal Entry 11 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, August 25, 2003

This book, and this group of people watching these movies, are hilarious! I had wanted to sign up for this one, but TramGirl beat me to it, so I have read it whilst it is at our house. And loved it!
The commentry on The Bodyguard and Armagedden and the butchery of Mariah for Glitter was laugh out loud!

Journal Entry 12 by TramGirl from Ballarat, Victoria Australia on Friday, September 12, 2003

Posted on to Beatchik (11/9). I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else has!

Journal Entry 13 by Beatchik from Orange, California USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2003

I just got this the other day & have already started reading it. So far, it's really funny & I can't believe I didn't write this book first. It's like a dead Friday night at my house with my friends. I'm sure this will be a quick read & then on to the next person.

Journal Entry 14 by Beatchik from Orange, California USA on Saturday, October 25, 2003

I loved this book to pieces! Some of it was a little slow, but the number of times I laughed out loud made up for it (I can't tell you how many times I woke up my husband with my giggling while reading this in bed). I wish that I could have Dr. Beaverman & Tony at my house to watch TV with all the time. The chapter on The Sound of Music still has me giggling.

This book is ready to fly to Rampallion now.

Journal Entry 15 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Thursday, November 13, 2003

Arrived today. I have been in a Movie Dictator Club with about a dozen friends for years now, so I'm eager to read this book! Thanks, all, for passing this on.

Journal Entry 16 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Thursday, November 20, 2003

Excellent! Got up early this morning to finish it. Will write more later.

Journal Entry 17 by mozzfan from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, November 21, 2003

OK so technically mojosmom is before me on the list, but hey, Rampallion works with me, so there's a bit of switcheroo going on for the sake of postage/silliness. I will blow through this one over the weekend and get it to MJM stat!

"The Straight Man's Guide to Cruising" is the headline on the cover that grabbed me, I can't wait to dive in!

Journal Entry 18 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, November 21, 2003

I think my favorite part of this book was the double whammy of comments during _Jaws,_ when Roy Scheider's character tries to defend himself against an enormous shark using a pointy stick:
"That's like trying to fend off an elephant with a crayon."
"Roy Scheider, acupuncturist of the sea."

I also loved it when the movie gang goes to a gay bar:
Dr. Beaverman: "Bear Night? What's Bear Night?"
Ross: "It means I'm the belle of the f---ing ball."

I knew I would enjoy the movie reviews, but I was surprised how much the moviegoers interested me. Hensley is quite a writer.

The Movie Dictator Club I'm in is different because (a) we rotate hosts, (b) people generally aren't told what the movies will be, and (c) we don't have a novelist to write down all our rude comments for inclusion in magazine articles. Also, nobody's ever vomited or had a tantrum. But in case you are interested in starting a Screening Party tradition of your own, we've had success with these movies:

Leave Her to Heaven * The Best of Everything * The Women * Gentlemen Prefer Blondes * The Worst Witch * The Craft * Johnny Guitar * a Batman and Robin serial from the 1940s * Wing Chun * The Miracle of Morgan's Creek * Steamboat Bill, Jnr. * The Maltese Falcon * Casablanca * The Pirate Movie * Dracula (1930s Spanish version) * What's Up, Tiger Lily? * Logan's Run * Soylent Green * Dr. Strangelove * that movie where Chuck Heston fights mutants and wears a lace dickey, I forget what the film's called * Purple Rain * Cannibal: The Musical * The Best Little Wh-rehouse in Texas * Change of Habit * Some 1950s monster movie where giant living rocks kill people * Funny Lady * Ma and Pa Kettle Go to Town * I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang * Dames * Martin * Forbidden Planet * Xanadu

Journal Entry 19 by mozzfan from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, November 24, 2003

I want the Screening Party gang to be my very bestest friends forever and ever. They are ruthless with Glitter but sensitive towards the nostalgia of The Sound of Music!

The Pretty Woman segment was what had me howling though. The Garry Marshall impersonation was priceless, plus, during the "Julia tries on clothes" montage:
"I want her to get in the mirror and pantomime sex acts as she shops," says Tony, "like getting down on all fours. She's like, 'These pants really give at the knee. I'll take 'em.'"

I am buying a copy of this for my boss for Christmas - and will probably buy a copy for myself too! It's off to mojosmom now - enjoy!

Journal Entry 20 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Friday, November 28, 2003

Following a slight change of plan, this arrived from mozzfan today. I can't imagine that I won't laugh a lot!

Journal Entry 21 by mojosmom from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, December 06, 2003

This book is absolutely wonderful! And you don't need to be a movie buff to enjoy it. I'd rather hear these follks "review" a movie than Siskel & Ebert any day! I want MORE!

It's not just the movie commentary, bitchy and delightful as it is, that makes this book so much fun. There's actually substance, and drama! Will Dennis make it with the Accidental Boyfriend? Will Ross recover from his (Hissy)(Conniption)(Shit)Fit? What kind of cupcakes will Marcus make today?

Speaking as someone who can't stand it when people gab in the movie theatre, these guys can gab in any movie theatre I'm at, as long as I get to participate, too!

I can't choose my favorite - every chapter had me laughing out loud.

Journal Entry 22 by mojosmom at on Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Released on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Being mailed to Kayters today.

Journal Entry 23 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, December 10, 2003

We interrupt this bookray for a brief commercial message: As some of you have expressed interest in picking up copies of the book [which makes me very, very happy; you like it, you really like it! {grin}], you might be interested to know that the publisher, Alyson Books, currently has "Screening Party" on sale for $4.95 [plus non-trivial postage, but it's still a bit cheaper than the current price at the major bookstores]; click here if interested. [I've bought from Alyson on several occasions and have been happy with the transactions. I don't know how long this sale - or the quantity available - will last, fwiw!]

We now return you to your previously scheduled bookray.

Journal Entry 24 by mojosmom at on Thursday, December 11, 2003

Gory's "brief commercial message" took the book out of the wild before kayters actually got it, so I'm releasing it to put the little running book back where it belongs ;-)

Journal Entry 25 by kayters from Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Sunday, January 11, 2004

Great! Just when I had gotten the massively huge pile of rings and rays down to a manageable level - another herd stampedes in! Aargh.

Journal Entry 26 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 08, 2005

Update: the book seems to have stalled with kayters, from whom I haven't heard anything since last October - hope things are OK there. Anyway, I did find another copy of the book, which I've offered to Starry-Starry, who's the sole remaining participant. [Since my post will fiddle with the status-code setting, I'll leave it at "traveling" until it's heard from again. Kayters, if you're there, just make a new entry to restore the status to "as set by" you!]

Later (March, 2008): Got your PM, kayters; glad the book resurfaced! I replied to say that you were welcome to do as you wanted with the book, as the others in the ray got hold of other copies; don't know if the message got through, so I'm posting here just in case!

Journal Entry 27 by kayters at via PaperBackSwap.com in Belchertown, Massachusetts -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 17, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/17/2008 UTC) at via PaperBackSwap.com in Belchertown, Massachusetts -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 28 by naughtyzoot at Belchertown, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Just a delightful read. One of the few actual laugh-out-loud books I've read.

Journal Entry 29 by naughtyzoot at Columbia, South Carolina USA on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (10/18/2012 UTC) at Columbia, South Carolina USA

Controlled release to a friend who may be in need of a laugh