corner corner Devil's Bargain (Bombshell)

Devil's Bargain (Bombshell)
by Rachel Caine | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Morgaine77 of Allschwil, Baselland Switzerland on Thursday, October 27, 2005

status (set by CandyDarling): available

Journal Entry 1 by Morgaine77 from Allschwil, Baselland Switzerland on Thursday, October 27, 2005

I rescued this book from a trash can at the Tramstation. I was walking by on my way home, and there it was, lying amongst old newspapers and empty coke bottles. I grabbed it and it looked fairly new, read once at the most. Also, the description on the backcover actually sounded like I would enjoy this book... Therefore it's going to my TBR pile...

"Never trust a man bearing red envelopes. Jazz Callender - don't ever call her Jasmine - is an ex-cop with a goal: opening her own private detective agency and proving her former partner is innocent of murder. Too bad no one will lend her the money. Until a sexy lawyer with the devil's own grin appears with an offer she can't refuse...
$100'000. A savvy new partner. And an agreement to make any case arriving via red envelope a top priority. But if Jazz accepts, there's no turning back. Because once she opens that envelope, all hell's gonna break loose...
Red Letter Days - You'll never believe what's inside"

edit after reading the book:
... and I knew I would like this book! :-) It's entertaining (and yes, that's basically all I ask of a book! LOL) and I like the main character, Jazz. She's a kick-ass girl! Of course there's a lot of introduction of the various characters going on - but it's not disturbing the story. We have action, mystery and of course some romance! The whole idea behind the Red Letters is quite interesting. I mean... you never know... could be... I'm looking forward to the sequel of this book. Should be interesting!

Journal Entry 2 by Morgaine77 from Allschwil, Baselland Switzerland on Thursday, November 17, 2005

This book will be made into my very first BOOKRAY! :-)

Here's the list of the participants in shipping order:
1. bilbi France(prefers to ship within Europe, int'l. if necessary)
2. Nell-Lu Scotland (prefers to ship within UK or Europe)
3. sadogs UK(prefers to ship within UK or Europe)
4. Potat1556 Switzerland(prefers to ship within Europe)
5. Annadlx Germany(ships international)
6. sidney2259 Australia(prefers to ship within AU)
7. catsalive Australia(prefers to ship within AU, int'l if necessary)
8. NeedSun Canada(prefers to ship to US)
9. BunnyLady Wisconsin, USA (prefers to ship within US)
10. colebear Florida, USA(prefers to ship within US)
11. phactcapella Florida, USA(ships intl.) --> cannot be reached
12. SandDanz USA
13. MaplesFlowers USA
14. CandyDarling FI

Some rules for the Bookray:
- Please journal the book when you receive it, again when you've read it and let us know how you liked it and please also journal when you ship it off to the next participant.
- Try to not keep it for longer than 4 -8 weeks. (I guess that's reasonable?)
- For the last person on this list who receives the book: Please feel free to continue the Ray!
- And most important: Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by Morgaine77 at on Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (12/7/2005 UTC) at

I finally got around to ship the book for the bookray off... Sorry it took me so long!
It's on its way to Bilbi now... Enjoy! :-)

Journal Entry 4 by wingbilbiwing from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, December 10, 2005

Received today ! A silhouette book ??!!? A contemporary romance ??!!? That would be a first... Don't tell anyone ;-) I do enjoy female detective story so I'm looking forward to meeting Jazz Callender.
Thanks morgaine77. Two books to read before opening this one.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbilbiwing from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Thursday, December 15, 2005

Thanks for sharing this book ! I'm afraid I was a little disappointed about the "chess thing" of the Red enveloppes. Well, it was really unexpected. Jazz and Lucia are great detectives, real tough girls ;-)
I'll PM Nell-Lu to let the 'ray travel on...

Journal Entry 6 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, December 22, 2005

This just arrived - thanks, bilbi, for sending it on and for the postcard. Thanks also, Morgaine77, for starting the ring.

I'm going away for Christmas, so I'll read this and many other books over the break. I won't have a chance to make a journal entry and send this on to the next person until I get back on 04 January 2006, sorry about that.

Happy Christmas!

Journal Entry 7 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Not really my sort of thing, I'm afraid, but thanks for sharing anyway. It was an education for me - I didn't know "Silhouette Bombshell" books existed (maybe they aren't available in the UK?) so it has introduced me to a whole new concept! The writing was readable and flowed reasonably well. I did wonder whether the author might actually be a man writing under a psuedonym - did anyone else get that feeling? Characters/plot were weak, but not as bad as they could be (the excerpt from Touch of the White Tiger at the end made it very clear that Devil's Bargain is pretty high quality for its genre!). Overall, I won't look out for the sequel, but this wasn't too bad a novel. I appreciate the opportunity to read something different; thanks Morgaine77.

I'll post it off to Sadogs this afternoon - happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by sadogs from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 06, 2006

Book has arrived today - have one book on the go so will read this afterwards.

Journal Entry 9 by sadogs from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Well I really enjoyed this one - a lot of action and adventure and a bit of suspense thrown in for good measure. A nice quick and easy read - nothing to intellectual which is good at this time of the year!! Thanks Morgaine77. Will be sending onto Potat1556 asap.

Journal Entry 10 by Potat1556 from Oberweningen, Zürich Switzerland on Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Just received today in the mail. Have a copuple of books ahead of it, so will read as soon as possible. Hopefully soon.

Journal Entry 11 by Potat1556 from Oberweningen, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, February 05, 2006

I enjoyed the book as I found Jazz a real Kick-ass kinda gal. However, I must say at times it seemed to get real boring and was dragged along...but on the whole, was a very fun read. I am sooo lookign forward to the sequel now.
Enjoy, you all!! Thanks for letting me be a part of this ray.
Sending out to Annadlx as soon as I get address.

Journal Entry 12 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Friday, February 24, 2006

received the book this week. Will start reading it tonight and hopefully finish it over the weekend.

Journal Entry 13 by Annadlx from Wiesbaden, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I finished the book last night and was surpised to learn that the book has sequels. I couldn't really get into the book. The idea of the red envelopes is good, but I was rather dissappointed with the theory behind it. Like Jazz I couldn't believe it. I still can't. What really disappointed me was the ending. It was rather sudden.
So... I guess I would have liked it better if the story would've really found a good ending and not just the end of a part of the story.

Thank you for the ring. The book will start its journey to Australia tonight. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 14 by sydney2259 on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

This one arrived last week. Thanks :)

Journal Entry 15 by sydney2259 on Saturday, August 05, 2006

I am so sorry to have held up this bookray.... I moved house recently and the book was sitting with others that had not yet been unpacked. I simply forgot about it. My apologies to Morgaine77 for the delay and for holding things up...... I will be posting the book off to catsalive on Monday morning.

Happy Reading :)

Journal Entry 16 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Book received, thanks sydney2259.

Journal Entry 17 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 12, 2006

I found this book quite entertaining but I was sick of the constant aggression from Lucia & Jazz about 1/3 of the way through. The constant gainsaying & naysaying got on my nerves. Yes, the premise was farfetched & not at all believable but they were already in the middle of it all so why not just get on with the job instead of arguing the point all the time. I didn't like the way the ending left things incomplete either. Still not a bad read though.

Thanks Morgaine77. I'll get this off to NeedSun ASAP.

Journal Entry 18 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, August 20, 2006

Posted to NeedSun today.

Journal Entry 19 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Yea! Arrived today.

Thanks everyone.

Journal Entry 20 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 11, 2006

Wow...I am surprised to see some of the ratings here. I loved this book and wanted to read the next one immediately. The ending was way too abrupt and left the reader hanging.

Thanks for sharing it with us, Morgaine77 and for mailing it to me Catsalive.

I'll ask for bunnylady's address right now and try to get it into the mail this week.

Edit Sept 25: Sent by air on Sept 21.

Journal Entry 21 by BunnyLady from Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, September 28, 2006

Rec'd this 9/27/06. Already on page 62 and have PMed Colebear for her addy. Should be off again real soon.

10/3/06 Off to Colebear!

Journal Entry 22 by colebear from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Monday, November 06, 2006

Just pulled this one out of the mailbox. It either came today or Saturday. I've currently got a ring going, so I'll start this one as soon as I finish the current book. Hope to get to it soon and it looks like a quick read.

Thanks for sending it, Bunnylady and; for starting the ray, thanks Morgaine77.

Journal Entry 23 by colebear from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Friday, November 10, 2006

Well, I have to say that I don't usually read 'Silhouette Bombshell' books (in fact this was a first). In the past, I've read and enjoyed Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series so I had high hopes Devil's Bargin, even if it was a romance. I agree with other posters that Jazz's violent tendancies quickly got old. I mean, how many guys fall for a girl who constantly beats them up?

The premise is interesting, but not as good as the Weather Wardens, and I like a strong leading lady, but I have to admitt, I prefer Lucia to Jazz. I'm signed up for NeedSun's ring for the sequel, Devil's Due, which I understand is staring Lucia, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for including me in the ray, Morgaine77 and for mailing it to me, BunnyLady.

Journal Entry 24 by colebear from Jacksonville, Florida USA on Monday, December 04, 2006

Well, after many unsuccessfull attempts to contact phactcapella, Morgaine77 & I decided to move on down the list. I shipped this 1st class to SandDanz today.

Journal Entry 25 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Friday, December 22, 2006

I could've sworn I journalled this when I received so I apologize for having not done so. I will be starting this book soon and then passing it on. Thanks for sharing Morgaine! :)

And if you see this NeedSun... I ended up finding a copy of Devil's Due for $1 so I can be taken off of that ray. ;)

Journal Entry 26 by MaplesFlowers from Nashville, Tennessee USA on Monday, February 26, 2007

Wow, today was my day to get Bookring books! Got this one opened & opened the next envelope - it had Devil's Due in it! I will try to get these books read as quickly as possible. I've got a few in front of it though. :o) More books to read!! LOL

Ok, read this first book. I've never read anything by Rachel Caine before. It was an ok story, nothing earthshaking, but ok. I do have her Weather Warden books on my wishlist, which I have heard are very good. We'll see... Thanks to everyone involved in sharing this with me. Next off to CandyDarling, once I get her address.

Journal Entry 27 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, May 18, 2007

Received the book today, thanks! It'll be interesting to see what I think of this. I have read one book by Rachel Caine before (Glass Houses, book 1 in the Morganville Vampires series), and I loved it.