corner corner A Friend of the Family - Bookring

A Friend of the Family - Bookring
by Lisa Jewell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Amberkatze of Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Wednesday, October 19, 2005

status (set by allbookedup): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Decided to make this a bookring!

Synopsis
Meet the Londons, a family in need of a friend. Gerry and Bernie London are proud parents of Tony, Sean and Ned, three wayward lads whose lives have suddenly reached crisis points: Newly divorced Tony is fantasizing about someone he really shouldn't; prize-winning novelist Sean's got a hot new girlfriend and a dose of writer's block; and Ned's just back from Australia, without the girl he took with him or a clue what he's going to do with his life. If that wasn't enough for one household, the Londons also have a new lodger a mysterious rockabilly called Gervase. Will he turn out to be a friend or foe to the family?

*******************************

Please make a journal entry as soon as you recieve the book and also when you send it to the next person. Then we know where the book is!

When you are finished with the book please PM the next person on the list and ask for their address so you can send it on to them!

Also let us know what you thought of the book but don't give too much away!

Lastly if you have nicer bookcrossing labels or stickers then decorate the book a little! Also stick a postcard from your country in with a message! Could be fun :)

This Bookring is still open! Pm if you would like to join!

Here is the bookring order so far!

1 - Blaisezabini12 in Romania. <-- Completed!
2 - em64 in Finnland. <-- Completed!
3 - xallroyx in Italy till January then the USA. <-- Completed!
4 - LindyLouMac in Italy. <-- Completed!
5 - katybean in the UK <-- Completed!
6 - Kiki66 in Germany <-- Completed!
7 - Needsun in Canada. <-- Completed!
8 - HallieK in the USA <-- Completed!
9 - Katayoun in Iran. <-- Completed!
10 - Cheeky42 in Italy. <-- Completed!
11 - lulubookish in the UK. <-- Completed!
12 - Back to me in Austria <-- Coming home!

The order may change to accommodate for the postal preferences of the ring members.

Journal Entry 2 by Amberkatze at Bookring in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Wien Austria on Saturday, October 22, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (10/24/2005 UTC) at Bookring in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Wien Austria

Bookring started!!

Posted to Blaisezabini12 in Romania.

Journal Entry 3 by blaisezabini12 from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, November 03, 2005

Picked up today from the post office together with 4 other wonderful books:) Thank you Amberkatze for organising this ring and for mailing the book to Romania. Will post more comments after reading!

10 November 05: the book got me through this school week - it was great to be able to read something nice and relaxing whenever I had a little break.
My favorite character was Millie and from the 3 brothers I preferred Ned.
As for Gervase...he was like a modern Mary Poppins:)
Thank you again Amberkatze for offering this book as a bookring - now I have to put some more Lisa Jewell on my wishlist!
I will pm the next participant!

18 November 05: finally mailed today! Sorry for the delay! Hope the next reader will enjoy the book as much as I did:)

Journal Entry 4 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The book arrived yesterday, thanks! Will start reading it as soon as possible - meaning today :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Sunday, December 04, 2005

At first I was a bit disappointed as the first 60 pages were only for introducing the characters (perhaps that can't be avoided when you have to introduce a whole family...). But after that I was enjoying the book a lot (though, at some point I was getting a bit annoyed with the author dwelling on a little bit too long in the triangle drama of Tony, Sean and Millie). This was the third book by Lisa Jewell and perhaps the one I have liked the best. And the end was also something that I liked, perhaps a bit fairytalelike but somehow it fitted perfectly to this season, Christmas coming and all that :-)Und Amberkatze, vielen Dank für das Organisieren dieses Bookrings!

Waiting for xallroyx to get back with the address.

Journal Entry 6 by wingem64wing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The book will be mailed today to xallroyx. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 7 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Friday, December 23, 2005

got in the mail today--THANKS!!!

Journal Entry 8 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I wasn't sure what to expect and I'm really glad I read this. i thought it would be like chick lit, but it was more like lad lit, written by a woman. A mysterious man moves in with an older couple and changes the lives of their three sons. The characters were all good and they progress in a believable way. I really liked it!!! I liked the mom character the best :)
I have pm'd the next person on the list and await an address.

Journal Entry 9 by xallroyx at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 29, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (12/29/2005 UTC) at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sending on the bookring!!

Journal Entry 10 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Arrived yesterday and will be read when I finish my current book.
Unfortunately it arrived with me from the USA so I had to pay the horrid customs tax of E5.50. It had better be worth it!

Journal Entry 11 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, February 09, 2006

As an earlier reader commented 'lad lit' written by a woman. Interesting characters which developed well during the story. A fairly average read, plotwise.
Thanks to Amberkatze for including me in this bookring. Now waiting to hear from Cheeky42 so I can send it on. Update-Only heard from cheeky42 13.02.06 and she has asked to be moved down list so will now contact katybean

Journal Entry 12 by LindyLouMac at Post Office in Vetralla to UK, Bookring-Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 16, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (2/15/2006 UTC) at Post Office in Vetralla to UK, Bookring-Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

En route to Katybean in the mail.

Journal Entry 13 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 17, 2006

Just to let everyone know that the book arrived safely this morning - thanks!!

I'll journal again when I'm done - shouldn't be too long as unusually I'm not in possession of many bookrings :o)

Katybean

Journal Entry 14 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, February 23, 2006

I've just finished this, and thought it was great!! I loved the way it was written about boys rather than girls, makes a fresh change (think the other book of hers I read 'Ralphs Party' was also male focused??).

I could see quite a few things happening - like I guessed whose Tony's fantasy lady was!

I did think though that Gervais (kept thinking of Ricky Gervais LOL)was going to end up being a long lost brother or something??

A great story, with a nice ending - I do love it where everything is left neat and tidy so you know what happened to everyone!

Thanks for sharing!

PS. Couldn't find one with flames down the side, but here you are.... (doesn't actually look too small does it?)

Journal Entry 15 by katybean from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 24, 2006

The book is now on it's way to Kiki66

Journal Entry 16 by kiki66 from Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, March 13, 2006

Got this book today! thanks..
Unfortunately the wrapping was torn but the post put the book into a plastic envelope
so there wasn't any damage...

Will read quite soon!

Journal Entry 17 by kiki66 at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany on Monday, April 03, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (4/3/2006 UTC) at BookRing in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

Went on its way to Canada and NeedSun today!
airmail so it shouldn't take too long...

I quite enjoyed reading this book though it was nothing too special... somehow I expected a bit more about Gervase and his secrets.. but it was a nice read..

Journal Entry 18 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, April 19, 2006

This book arrived yesterday. Thanks so very much. I still have a few books to read before I can get to this one but it won't be too too long.

Journal Entry 19 by NeedSun from Perth Road, Ontario Canada on Thursday, May 18, 2006

Interesting family. I would have like to know alot more about Gervais but oh well.

I'll edit this entry as soon as I get this book into the mail.

Edit May 31: Sent airmail on May 25

Journal Entry 20 by HallieK from Austin, Texas USA on Monday, June 05, 2006

Got this in the mail on Friday and am looking forward to reading it as soon as I finish the book I'm in the middle of now!

I've had this for too long and I apologize. Life has happened and I just haven't had a chance to even start it. I'm PMing for the next address and will get this in the mail ASAP.

Mailed out on 7/15/06.

Journal Entry 21 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Saturday, October 28, 2006

I hope this book hasn't got lost! It is taking a lon time getting to where it was going....

Journal Entry 22 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Sunday, November 05, 2006

it's here!!! i was checking on rings to come just yesterday and got worried that i might have been lost and it showed up today!! hurrah and thanks amberkatze and halliek. the book has also collected a bunch of bookmarks, notes and cards from it's journey! i've got one book on hand and then it's this, will update when i start reading.

Journal Entry 23 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Tuesday, November 14, 2006

have started reading it today, and i have also got Cheeky42's address for the book's next hop. will update when i have finished the book.

Journal Entry 24 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

sorry for a bit of delay, but the book was mailed today to Cheeky42. hopefully it should be there in 2-3 weeks, touch wood! touch wood!
as for the book, i enjoyed it though it was different from the usual chicklit and so it was different from what i was expecting and therefore needed a bit of getting used to. thanks so much Amberkatze and HallieK and all the rest that got the book to me!! :)

Journal Entry 25 by cheeky42 on Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I got it today! Since I have some ring waiting for me, it will have to wait a bit before I'll manage to start it... but hopefully holidays are approaching and I will find some more time to read! Thank you!

Journal Entry 26 by cheeky42 on Sunday, February 04, 2007

I really loved this book! I found it so fascinating from the very beginning: it took me a bit before I started reading it (I had - and stilll have- huge amounts of bookring waiting on the top of my tbr shelf, but as soon as I begun it, I simply wasn't able to drop it. I love the charachter of Ness, always smiling and shining, so strong... and so unlucky. But the one I really fell for was Ned, coming back from Australia and finding everything so changed, except of himself. And still, trying so hard to restart.
Thank you for this ring, I really enjoyed it! I'll ask for the next address and will let the book continue its travel.

Journal Entry 27 by Amberkatze from Wien Bezirk 10 - Favoriten, Wien Austria on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Another Bookring has made it home!!!

Thank you so much everyone for taking part and making this bookring successful! I love it when a book comes back to me!!!

Journal Entry 28 by Amberkatze at Aera in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria on Sunday, December 02, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (12/4/2007 UTC) at Aera in Wien Bezirk 01 - Innere Stadt, Wien Austria

Releasing at the English Bookcrossing Meet-up!

Journal Entry 29 by allbookedup from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I got it at the English meetup tonight.
Wow this book has travelled a lot!!
Thanks!