corner corner MORVERN CALLAR

MORVERN CALLAR
by ALAN WARNER | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingshnedwardswing of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 18, 2005

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A girl steals her boyfriend's novel after he commits suicide and pretends it's her own. Then becomes the darling of the publishers and the critics. Really beautiful in a pared-down, ice-cold kind of way.

Journal Entry 2 by wingshnedwardswing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 14, 2006

To be released as part of the Bad Girls bookbox

Journal Entry 3 by mrspopoff from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Didn't get round to reading this, so into Jaycee 1972's bookbox it must go - E I E I E I O!

Journal Entry 4 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, February 16, 2007

taken out of the bookbox to read, thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, March 06, 2009

Picked this off Mt. TBR. It was a quick read but not a really satisfying one. The first lines are eye-catching but it's one of those books you either 'click' with or not. The style of writing could, in some cases drive you bonkers but I found it rather lyrical - makes up for the lack of plot somewhat IMO.

Journal Entry 6 by Sterile at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, March 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (3/16/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Passing on to Caroley as RACBK. To read and then furnish the 1001 library in my place! 2nd Class 16th March 2009

Journal Entry 7 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Received today, thanks very much!

I'll donate it to the library as soon as I've read it.

Journal Entry 8 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, April 11, 2009

If I had to choose one word to describe this book it would probably be 'bonkers'. Having said that, I did really like it. Not sure what that says about me...

I'd have liked more detail in some parts of the book but that'd be my only criticism. Some of the things Morvern says or does in the book are so outrageous that I had to read them twice before laughing out loud.

Thanks again for sending it to me Sterile. I'll add it to the 1001-library now and hopefully send it off on its travels.

Journal Entry 9 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation Caroley!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 10 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (6/16/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted airmail to Soffitta1

Journal Entry 11 by soffitta1 from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, June 19, 2009

Cool! I have been curious about this one for a while and was running out of 1001 books, thanks for sending ;)

I did enjoy this, though at times it was (to steal a word) bonkers! I read it in one sitting, never knowing what would happen next.

Back to the library.

Journal Entry 12 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, August 04, 2009

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing sofitta1:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 13 by soffitta1 from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, August 14, 2009

Reserved for Jaynereader.

Sent 07/09.

Journal Entry 14 by jaynereader from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 10, 2009

Received safely thanks. Looking forward to this 'bonkers' book.

Journal Entry 15 by jaynereader from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 13, 2010

I really liked the character Morvern. She's wants to experience life and grabs her dead boyfriend's money as a chance to go and do just that. It really captures that 'hey let's do this' mentality that was around in the 90s. I like the language in which it is written and there are lots of funny bits.
thanks soffitta1 and everyone else for sharing, this is now going back to the library

Journal Entry 16 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, March 14, 2010

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing jaynereader:)

Journal Entry 17 by jaynereader at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 11, 2011

This has been requested as part of a virtual book box. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 14, 2011

Thank you jaynereader, that was super quick!

Journal Entry 19 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 24, 2011

A great read up to a point, but unfortunately that point arrived too early. Once Morvern went into rave mode, for me the story deteriorated and became very banal compared to the opening. Probably wouldn't put me off reading some more Alan Warner though just as a comparsion. Going back to 100-library for the present.

Journal Entry 20 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, April 25, 2011

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Cassiopaeia:)