corner corner Making History

Making History
by Stephen Fry | Literature & Fiction
Registered by hAnG-gLiDiNg-1 of La Follette, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 13, 2005

status (set by Fifna): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by hAnG-gLiDiNg-1 from La Follette, Tennessee USA on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Book#2...Wow! what a read; my mind was spinning with the detail as well as the writing skill of this brilliant man! A very good read, one that makes us realize that all things happen for a reason, and that (if we could) changing something in the past isn't necessarily beneficial for the present.

Journal Entry 2 by hAnG-gLiDiNg-1 from La Follette, Tennessee USA on Monday, November 21, 2005

WELCOME TO THE MAKING HISTORY (STEPHEN FRY!!!!!)INTERNATIONAL BOOK RING

This ring is now underway - as of (To be announced)

Members are as follows - member in bold currently has possession of the book: (If you wish to join, please PM me and I will add you!)

MEMBER / LOCATION:

10. LyekkaMarengo  Pennsylvania
  11. Lorelei03  New York
  12. veruca  Texas

This is how it works:
If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
Note that you must be prepared to mail internationally.
We will kick off once we have 5 members.
You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address!
It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can, other people are dying to read it too.
Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it!)
If you're the last person on the list (i.e. we run out of members) the book comes back to me until there are more interested parties...

_______________________________________

BOOK DESCRIPTION: (From the back cover)What if Hitler had never been born? Michael Young is a graduate student who is reading history at Cambridge and finishing his dissertation on the early life of Adolf Hitler. Leo Zuckerman is an aging German physicist and Holocaust survivor. Together they embark on an historical experiment to change the course of history. But will it create a better world? With characteistic brilliance and wit,(DEFFO!) Stephen Fry presents an alternate history that is black comedy at its very best. Both trenchant and deeply affecting, this is his most controversial and profound work to date.

Journal Entry 3 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, April 24, 2006

Yippee! It's finally here. Thanks, hAnG-gLiDiNg-1.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 22, 2006

Excellent book! Stephen Fry certainly has a way with words. This piece of writing is brilliant.

Thanks again, hAnG-gLiDiNg-1. I'll post this off to hshah tomorrow morning, 23/5/6.

Journal Entry 5 by wingcatsalivewing from Rooty Hill, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 22, 2006

Correction, I will be sending this to samulli tomorrow as hshah has purchased a copy.

Journal Entry 6 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Thursday, July 27, 2006

After a long and, no doubt, arduous journey, Mr. Fry finally arrived at my place. Well, not exactly himself obviously, but the book atleast.
It is next on my Mt. TBR, I just have to finish "Eragon" before I can get to it. I'll try not to keep it too long.

Journal Entry 7 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wow, great book.
But then again, I didn't expect anything else from Mr. Fry. The beginning was a bit slow, especially since Micheal was a bit of an asshole at first. I'm glad he changed a lot in the course of the book.
Being a german myself, I was of course especially interested in the premise of this book and was very curious what Fry would make of it. A thing I found very interesting was his constant use of german words or phrases (often without a translation). I wonder if people from other countries will understand all the time what they mean?
But in any case it is a great read and I wish I could read it again.
I already PMed sobergirl for her address and will send the book out as soon as I can.
Thanks for organizing this ring. It was definitely worth the wait. ;-)

Journal Entry 8 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Monday, August 07, 2006

I got sobergirls address today and the book will finally be on its way to Finland tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, August 24, 2006

The book arrived in Finland today!

Journal Entry 10 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, September 07, 2006

I'm so sorry but I won't have time to read this.. The Anna Karenina readalong is taking up all my reading-time.

I'm sending this book to Semming today.

Journal Entry 11 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Oh dear, this is a big book... I've got another ring book to finish before I can start this one, but I'll try to be quick.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, October 22, 2006

What a wonderful book! It looks massive and I absolutely hate the cover (I kept getting weird looks when reading on trains etc.), but I've definitely enjoed the reading experience. I had no idea what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised to lay my hands on a clever alternative reality story with a human touch. A sweet book with chilling ideas and lively characters. Can't say much without spoiling the plot, but I can say that I will certainly read more Fry!

EDIT 24.10. I've got the book packed and ready for mailing, but lately it's been absolutely chucking it down and I don't really fancy a bicycle ride to the post office in pouring rain and darkness (yes, I'm near-sighted)... I'll mail this and another ring book as soon as possible!

25.10. Finally it stopped raining and I took a bag of parcels to the post office. The book has been mailed today!

Journal Entry 13 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Sunday, November 05, 2006

Received safely. I have got a few rings before this one but will get round to it soon.

Journal Entry 14 by beekeeper40 from Hoveton, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, November 09, 2006

When I received this book I thought it was huge and I was never going to get through it. Well once started I couldn't put it down. It was brilliant! The plot was very clever and I can only wonder at Stephen Fry's imagination! I shall definitely be looking out for some more of his books.

Have pmed next reader for their address.

Journal Entry 15 by beekeeper40 at to a fellow bookcrosser in Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (11/16/2006 UTC) at to a fellow bookcrosser in Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

Have mailed to Storychaser as andthings never replied to my PMs and xanapq wishes to be skipped.

Journal Entry 16 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 18, 2006

Arrived today, thank you. Will start it as soon as I finish my current book.

Journal Entry 17 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006

A most excellent and fun book, the blend of fact and fiction worked perfectly. Stephen Fry is a master of wit, I just love his writing style and his characters are always so well portrayed I feel I know them personally. It is quite mind-boggling to imagine all the alternative realities that could happen if one tiny detail is changed in the past. A brilliant story, so good I may have to buy my own copy just so I can read it again. Thanks so much hAnG-gLiDiNg-1 so starting this booking:)

LyekkaMarengo has asked to be skipped, so I am just waiting for Lorelei03's address so I can send it on its merry way.

Journal Entry 18 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 18, 2006

Lorelei03 has asked to be skipped too, so just waiting for veruca's address.

22/12/06 No word from veruca yet, have PM'd again.

Journal Entry 19 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 06, 2007

I have been trying to contact both veruca and hAnG-gLiDiNg-1, but have had no answer from either of them. I do not know what to do next.....

Journal Entry 20 by StoryChaser from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 27, 2007

I have decided to let this book continue on its journey, so am starting a bookray.

Participants:

DSP - UK
yorkshire-lass - UK
martinboro - UK
taniazed - Australia

Journal Entry 21 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The book has arrived safely in Brussels.
Thank you StoryChaser!

Journal Entry 22 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Saturday, December 01, 2007

Exquisitely intelligent! One of the best novels I've read this year. Thank you StoryChaser for sharing!
On its way to bookmaniac70. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 23 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Saturday, December 15, 2007

Received with three other bookrings:-)). I hope to spend more time reading during the holidays and to catch up with everything.

Journal Entry 24 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Started reading.

Journal Entry 25 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Thursday, January 31, 2008

I think it`s better to give up on this book. I managed about 170 pages but the plot didn`t grab me. Sorry for being such a disappointment!

I will PM Fifna and pass the book.

Journal Entry 26 by bookmaniac70 at bookring in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, February 10, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (2/8/2008 UTC) at bookring in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Fitna.

Journal Entry 27 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, February 14, 2008

Arrived safely, thanks bookmaniac70!

Journal Entry 28 by wingFifnawing from Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, March 23, 2008

This was a great read! Can't say too much without spoiling the plot, but I certainly enjoyed it, thanks for sharing, Storychaser!

Storychaser has kindly allowed me to hang on to the book a little while longer, so my husband can read it too. Will journal again as soon as he's finished.

Journal Entry 29 by wingFifnawing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 24, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/24/2008 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Apologies for taking so long to send this on. The birth of my son brought my bookcrossing to a halt for a while. Sent the book to Cyzaki today.