corner corner The Favorite Game

The Favorite Game
by Leonard Cohen | Literature & Fiction
Registered by marko167 of Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Saturday, October 08, 2005

status (set by marko167): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Saturday, October 08, 2005

A wonderful book by one of the gods of modern music.

Written in 1963 it recounts the growth of a young jewish boy in Montreal, through adolescence to adulthood. Being Cohen much of the book deals with relationships and being 1963 there is a lot of sexual exploration (nothing graphic).

Although I enjoyed the story, I would encourage the reader to read it as a poem. Cohen's ability with words allows him to write prose with the rhythm and flow of a master poet.

I'm glad I came across the book now rrather than 10 years ago. I fear I would not have had the patience then nor the experience to appreciate it.

Journal Entry 2 by marko167 at postal mail in postal mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 10, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (10/19/2005 UTC) at postal mail in postal mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Ray now closed.

Released as Bookray : Here are the members.
Libahunt - Finland
JohnSteed - Switzerland
Pirullina - Italy
Hellie - UK
flowergirl68 - UK
****Rossella05 - UK - Asked to be skipped.
BenjyMouse - New Zealand
titihood - Canada
Cocobarks - USA
Labmomnm - USA
Jare - USA
4-lele - USA
WingedMan - USA

Journal Entry 3 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What a wonderful morning receiving Leonard Cohen's book and cd in the mail.

Journal Entry 4 by Libahunt from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, May 04, 2006

I took me the whole first half of the book to get into it but after that it was pure pleasure reading it. I can't say that Cohen is oen of my favourite author although I love his songs and poems but this was so lyrical I could just concentrate on the language and enjoy it.

Journal Entry 5 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Friday, August 25, 2006

The book has reached my place.

When I have a quiet moment I will insert a Cohen CD, fill me a glass of good red wine and start reading.

Journal Entry 6 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ouch! I've finished this weeks ago. Due to a severe case of Bookcrossing-Sickness (too many books...)and high demand at work and family I simply did put the finished book on another pile and forgot all about it. My apologies.

Cohen has certainly a great way with words. But I dare say that he's no novelist. He should stick to shorter pieces. There are too many variations of speed and style. The book simply doesn't "flow". He was quite young when he wrote it and I guess that he was still trying. And it shows. He tried too hard though (to show up with his skills..)

I'm sure glad that Cohen concentrated on his music.

Journal Entry 7 by marko167 from Sant Pere de Ribes, Barcelona Spain on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

STALLED BY JohnSteed.

Apologies to those who were further along especially WingedMan as this was to be a RABCK.