corner corner A Suitable Boy

A Suitable Boy
by Vikram Seth | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Hawkette of Melbourne, Victoria Australia on 10/2/2005

status (set by fushmush): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, October 02, 2005

I have wanted to read this one for a long time! A find from my wishlist on the tables of books at South Bank, London, yesterday.

Journal Entry 2 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I borrowed this from Hawkette ages ago but it appears that I didn't journal this at the time. Sorry about that!

At 1474 pages, this is not a 'light' read. Despite its bulkiness I decided I needed to take it on the Tube if I were to stand a chance of actually finishing it. It worked; I have now finished it but it is a little more well-loved than when I started. Sorry, Hawkette! I will replace it with a nice new copy if you like.

It took me about six months to read this in total, although I read many other things during that time as well. It's well worth the effort. The characters slowly seeped into my consciousness and took life. Although not a lot happens in terms of plot to justify the length, amazingly by the end I wanted more. It is like a long-running soap opera with endless twists and turns and joy in the minutiae of life. It was never predictable and there are many surprises in store.

This is as much a story of India as it is of Lata and Maan and the other characters. It is set shortly after independence from the British and the time of India's first general election and it is a fascinating portrait of the preoccupations of the fledgling nation and the society at the time, especially on the important issue of accommodation of both Hindus and Muslims.

It's quite different to Seth's other novels, such as the wonderful An Equal Music, one of my all-time favourites.

To be returned to Hawkette with my thanks and my apologies for the less than pristine condition of the book.

I read this for my project to read the top 100 books of the 20th century - see http://bookcentury.blogspot.com/2006/07/suitable-boy-by-vikram-seth.html for full review.

Journal Entry 3 by Hawkette from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, November 16, 2006

I have received this back from Fire-Dragon, but alas, I am not going to be able to read it, nor cart it home with me to Australia at the moment. I am passing it onto fushmush to bolster her London TBR pile...so, till we meet again, unread book!

Journal Entry 4 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

cleaning up my shelves and planning on releasing this one soon.

Journal Entry 5 by fushmush at Holland House Youth Hostel in Holland Park, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 13, 2009

Released 7 yrs ago (8/13/2009 UTC) at Holland House Youth Hostel in Holland Park, Greater London United Kingdom

Left at the book exchange at Holland Park Youth Hostel.