corner corner A Passage to India (Penguin Modern Classics)

A Passage to India (Penguin Modern Classics)
by E.M. Forster | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Jethro-Frog of Hayling Island, Hampshire United Kingdom on 10/1/2005

status (set by laura0141): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Jethro-Frog from Hayling Island, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 01, 2005

This is a classic book, beautiful and thoroughly engrossing. It was made into a film some time ago starring Judy Davis, which was also good but let down by some very un-PC casting.

Journal Entry 2 by Jethro-Frog from Hayling Island, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Time for a bit of a book clear-out. Hope you like this one Laura!

Journal Entry 3 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 15, 2005

Thank you very much for this lovely surprise!

Mt TBR B3

Journal Entry 4 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, February 09, 2006

Offered as BookRing

Journal Entry 5 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 10, 2006

BookRing:

Fire-Dragon - uk - intl
coolboxuk - uk - uk
bluejazzyfish - UK - INtl
laura0141 - uk - ENDS

Journal Entry 6 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 09, 2006

PMed coolboxuk for addy

Journal Entry 7 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, June 12, 2006

coolboxuk asked to be skipped and added further down the list so PMing Fire-Dragon for addy.

Journal Entry 8 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 13, 2006

On way to Fire-Dragon with permission to keep as long as necessary.

Journal Entry 9 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, September 14, 2006

I have just realised that I didn't journal this book when it arrived - I'm sorry about that! It's taken me a while to read it and I think my boyfriend is currently halfway through it so I'll check if he plans to finish it and then PM the next in line. I'm glad this is a leisurely ray!

A Passage to India was published in 1924, as India stood on the threshold of great changes. The portrait it paints of Anglo-India (the British in India) is quite damning and the portrayal of the Indians is not especially flattering either. The Brits were nearly all close-minded snobs and the natives were overly emotional and inclined to value form and courtesy over truth and genuine compassion.

I felt claustrophobic reading this novel as if I were forced to choose between the tiresome and confined world of the Anglo-Indians or the grinding poverty and daily humiliation of the Indians. There was no sense of openness or freedom; everything seemed narrow and closed.

To be completely honest, I found this book a hard slog. I didn't find any of the characters especially sympathetic, the plot was hardly gripping and the device of Adela's psychological condition after the incident in the caves felt contrived and untrue. The novel covers rich thematic territory but without the emotional engagement it all felt a bit abstract.

I know Forster is rated very highly and I would be willing to try again with some of his other novels such as Howard's End or A Room with a View. I am not saying that A Passage to India is a bad novel and indeed I can see why others might like it. However, it is my personal response to literature that matters to me and ultimately this novel neither moved nor interested me.

I read this as part of my list of top 100 books of the 20th century - see www.bookcentury.blogspot.com.

Journal Entry 10 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 08, 2006

I'm terribly sorry that I have kept this book so long. I didn't expect 'as long as necessary' to be four months. My boyfriend is halfway through the book but seems to have lost interest. If he doesn't pick it up and finish it this week, I will post it on anyway.

Journal Entry 11 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 04, 2007

There was a delay in receiving replies over Christmas but unfortunately both coolboxuk and bluejazzyfish have asked to be skipped. Now PM-ing laura0141.

Journal Entry 12 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 18, 2007

Received with thanks.

Journal Entry 13 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm having a very ruthless clear-out and have decided to let this one continue it's adventure with another reader.

BookMooch

Availables Box N3

Journal Entry 14 by laura0141 from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Released via BookMooch