corner corner Slow Man

Slow Man
by J.M. Coetzee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by woosang of Picton, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 30, 2005

status (set by woosang): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 30, 2005

From Amazon.co.uk

A masterful new novel from one of the greatest writers alive. Paul Rayment is on the threshold of a comfortable old age when a calamitous cycling accident results in the amputation of a leg. Humiliated, his body truncated, his life circumscribed, he turns away from his friends. He hires a nurse named Marijana, with whom he has a European childhood in common: hers in Croatia, his in France. Tactfully and efficiently she ministers to his needs. But his feelings for her, and for her handsome teenage son, are complicated by the sudden arrival on his doorstep of the celebrated Australian novelist Elizabeth Costello, who threatens to take over the direction of his life and the affairs of his heart. Unflinching in its vision of suffering and generous in its portrayal of the spirit of care, Slow Man is a masterful work of fiction by one of the world's greatest writers.

About the Author
J M Coetzee:
J M Coetzee's work includes Waiting For The Barbarians, Life & Times of Michael K, Boyhood: Scenes From Provincial Life, Youth, Disgrace and, most recently, Elizabeth Costello. He was the first author to win the Booker Prize twice and was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2003.

Journal Entry 2 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 01, 2005

BookPrize Long list book ring

Xoddam - NSW
Goodthinkmax - NSW
Woosang - NSW
Ring Finished

Journal Entry 3 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ahhhhhh I am sticking my neck out again, and sending my lovely NEW unmarked book out to trustly friends....Please be kind and look after it. It found out today it didn't win......lol

Journal Entry 4 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Another shiny unread book from woosang! ("The Harmony Silk Factory" was the first one.) Thanks very much. I just have to finish reading the prize winner, "The Sea", and then I'll get stuck into this one.

Journal Entry 5 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 30, 2005

Pretty entertaining. This is the first Australian book (or set in Australia, at least) that I have read on the 2005 Booker longlist.
The first part of the book was great. Paul's self-pity didn't stop him from being appealing (unlike the "hero" of John Banville's "The Sea"). Things were going along well until about a third of the way through the book, when the "celebrated Australian novelist" showed up and things took a turn for the weird... it wasn't surprising that Paul was confused, (I was too,) but I would have thought that he still have had enough force left in him to do something more decisive about her.
I see that the author has written another book entitled "Elizabeth Costello". Perhaps her presence in this book would have made more sense if I had read the other.
Very satisfying, and not at all the morose story that I was expecting.

Journal Entry 6 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2005

I think you will find this author now calls AUSTRALIA home. In 2002 Coetzee emigrated to Australia. He lives with his partner Dorothy Driver in Adelaide, South Australia, where he holds an honorary position at the University of Adelaide.

Journal Entry 7 by Fleebo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2005

You're right of course, Woosang. I found this interesting article about the author, this book and how it follows on from his previous work. (Full of spoilers, though. Read it after the book. Sadly, the article is now in the archives, and you have to subscribe to access it. Sorry.)
Slow Man is now travelling to star-light.

Journal Entry 8 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Received today. I will probably start reading it next week.

Journal Entry 9 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, December 05, 2005

Interesting and thought-provoking. The start of the book gripped me immediately, but then my interest fell away until Elizabeth Costello arrived on the scene. I also got rather confused at this point but that's what got me interested in the book again. I kept reading to first to find out how Paul "came to her", and later to see how Paul would deal with her.

Highly philosophical - this book deals with questions of identity, leaving a legacy in the world, and living life to the full. This requires more brain power than I have at the moment, so I will file this book away in my mind and let these ideas trickle through my subconscious until I have time to think them through properly.

Have PM'ed puppymummy for instructions.

Updated 14 Dec 05: Posted to puppymummy.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpuppymummywing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, December 17, 2005

Arrived safely, still in excellent condition! I'm feeling a little overwhelmed again, but hopefully Christmas will mean lots of reading time (as soon as I've finished buying and wrapping presents, working out what food I'm serving, making sure I've bought it all.... aargh!)

Journal Entry 11 by wingpuppymummywing from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, January 21, 2006

I'm left very confused by this book, I'm sure it had a few good points, but I got to the end and turned the page to look for the next chapter - but it wasn't there! Possibly would make a lot more sense to me if I had read his other books, and I have to admit that the heat here is seriously interfering with my reading, I can't concentrate on much at all.
I am impressed by the author being Australian - do overseas authors make as many references to the settings and the suburbs etc, or do I just notice it more when I know what it refers to? Nope, that will require thought and it's too hot.
I need to check whether Viola7 is ready for this, but it should be mailed through the week.

Journal Entry 12 by Viola7 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, February 04, 2006

Received on Wednesday when I got back. Thank you PuppyMummy!

I vowed never to read another Coetze book because I thought Disgrace was very depressing and too politically correct, but I've started this. I like this one much more than Disgrace so far although it is depressing as well. (Why are hardly any of the novels listed for the Booker Prize actually HAPPY?)

Anyway this one concerns Paul Rayment, a divorced middle-aged man who is hit by a car while riding his bicycle and has to have his leg amputated. Coetze describes his feelings upon discovering this very well. I'm up to the part where he has finally found a nurse that he likes, the Croatian Marijana, and he is comparing his life with hers in a very self-pitying way. (He is childless and unmarried; she is married with children...) He is starting to develop feelings for her so it will be interesting to find out where this will lead...

He has the thought that: "...in this country the one is as good as the other, Catholicism and nothing. Marijana may disapprove of people who marry and unmarry and never get around to having children, but she knows enough to keep her disapproval to herself." This is a bit strong, but has some element of truth to it and probably applies to most Christians, not just Catholics.

Journal Entry 13 by Viola7 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, February 08, 2006

This explains why all sick men fall in love with their nurses. Just kidding! I enjoyed this book, although it was a bit miserable, and there's certainly enough in there to fill a thesis. Coetze gives the reader a lot to think about - the nature of love, being alone, even religion.

The story concerns Paul Rayment, a middle-aged divorcee, who loses his leg when a careless driver runs into him. He doesn't like any of his nurses, with good reason, until the attractive Croatian Marijana cares for him. He falls in love with her but unfortunately she is happily married.

The book becomes a little strange when Elizabeth Costello, a novelist who wants to make Paul into a character for her book arrives on the scene. She seems to act almost like a psychologist, forcing Paul to examine his life.

This book is a new hard-back in lovely condition which made it a pleasure to read as well.

Journal Entry 14 by Alectoness from Wimbledon, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Arrived safely in New Zealand today - thanks Viola7. I'm going back to parttime study next week, so I'll try to read as much of this as possible before then.

Journal Entry 15 by Alectoness from Wimbledon, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, February 27, 2006

This was definitely a thought-provoking book - but think I would have been happier just to read Paul's story as he worked through his situation alone. While introducing an 'author' in Elizabeth Costello was an interesting concept to start with, I found her more and more annoying as the book progressed. For me, as well as Paul, she was an unwanted guest.

But as Fleebo said, maybe if I'd read "Elizabeth Costello" first, it would've all made better sense.

Have PM'd xoddam, and will get this book moving again soon.

Journal Entry 16 by Alectoness at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 27, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (2/27/2006 UTC) at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to xoddam this morning. Should be back across the Tasman in a couple of week's time.

Journal Entry 17 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, March 13, 2006

Arrived at my desk this morning in a pretty orange padded bag. Thanks Alectoness, much appreciated. We've all been feeling guilty about the international postage you've been incurring, and I'm sure you feel it too, but I've actually paid more to send a (somewhat larger) parcel of books across Sydney. I think maybe we Australians don't get a great deal on postage :-(

Thanks also of course to Woosang for contributing this book in the first place (see you tonight!) and all the other Booker-ringers for your reviews.

This is going on the bottom of the list of bookrings on my bookshelf page. I will not promise to read within thirty days ... the one at the top of the list is Beyond Black, which I've had for over two months now and still isn't my *next* book to read (some books are just easier to read ... and some other bookring owners get narky when you don't stick to the 30-day rule). On the other hand I've gradually stopped signing up to bookrings so they arrive more slowly now, and my drawn-out house move will officially be over tomorrow morning.

I promise that Slow Man will not be a Slow Bookring.

Journal Entry 18 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Monday, May 22, 2006

Okay, a slow-ish bookring. March, April, May. I found this an interesting read, but hardly compelling. I put it down at the first mention of Elizabeth Costello, half-thinking I should go and read her story first -- but bookrings kept arriving and I realised I have no chance of leisurely chasing down books I only *maybe* want to read if I want to stem the tide -- so I picked Slow Man back up.

Slow Man is a gentle story of man suppressing an inappropriate passion. There are no surprises after the first page. Thanks for sharing, Woosang.

I have PMed goodthinkingmax to pass it on.

Journal Entry 19 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Handed to goodthinkingmax in the park. Thanks for lunch; I owe you one!

Journal Entry 20 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 01, 2006

Received from xoddam at the Archibald Fountain. A yummy lunch too at Bodhi.

Slow Man has provoked some interesting journal entries so far. I should get to it next week.

Journal Entry 21 by goodthinkingmax from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I had a similar reaction to some other readers. I was engrossed in this until Elizabeth Costello appeared. I found the book interesting but remained at a distance from it, unable to become immersed in the cold characters and reactions. I have not given it another thought since I put it down.

This one is heading home to woosang now.

Journal Entry 22 by woosang from Picton, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 02, 2007

Hmm. I think I totally missed the point of the book. Paul falls in love with his nurse and wants to help her family. OK This I could cope with. BUT the arrival of Elizabeth Costello, wasa bit like saying the murderer of a book was someone who wasn't even in the book. Where did she come from? What was her link to Paul? Why did she want to stay and how did she know all the private things about Paul and his thoughts. I have Disgrace on my bookshelf, and I think maybe I won't get it. Is it I just don't 'Get' This author? Anyway I released the book on the train I finished it on.