corner corner The Grenadillo Box

The Grenadillo Box
by Janet Gleeson | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by E-J-V of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 9/24/2005

status (set by AnonymousFinder): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by E-J-V from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, September 24, 2005

From the back:

It is New Year's Day 1755 and young Nathaniel Hopson, journeyman to celebrated cabinetmaker Thomas Chippendale, is installing a magnificent library on the country seat of Lord Montfort. During dinner a shot rings out and Montfort is discovered dead in his new library, a pistol at his side and leeches on his face. The immediate conclusion is that he must have taken his own life. Nathaniel, however, is not convinced. The gun suggests suicide, but what of the blood on the windowsill and the confusion of footprints on the library floor? And there is another strange detail: the small, elaborately carved box clutched in the aristocrat's lifeless hand.

When another body is found in a pond, frozen and strangely mutilated, Nathaniel's detachment is shattered. For this man was his friend. Now Hopson finds himself on the trail of a killer who will stop at nothing to keep a dark and chilling secret from being revealed...

A nice whodunnit which makes you think of many different suspects with every clue found and gets you into the era of Chippendale. Scary at times, but beautifully written.

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, February 02, 2006

Received this book from E-J-V as a trade. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 22, 2006

I loved this book, even though it took me literally weeks to finish it. It has everything I like in a historical murder mystery: characters who seem to come alive, enough cruelty to make me shiver sometimes, a detailed description of the surroundings and way of life in said time period, some love interests and such. I suspected everybody of everything, and the last pages were a surprise.

I highly recommend this book.

Journal Entry 4 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Gereserveerd voor mel723.

Journal Entry 5 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 30, 2006

Dankjewel!

Journal Entry 6 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Good story, but a bit long and slow at times. I did enjoy it though :)

Journal Entry 7 by mel723 at Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (8/8/2006 UTC) at Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

In the 'Freedomgarden'.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, January 08, 2007

Strolling through the amazing & confronting Apartheid Museum, I found this book by the demonstrative prison cells.

Good book.

Carefully placed in Italian cafe (La Dolce Vita) in tourist centre of Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal.

CAUGHT IN JOHANNESBURG GAUTENG SOUTH AFRICA