corner corner Fatal Voyage

Fatal Voyage
by Kathy Reichs | Journals
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, September 23, 2005

status (set by Toadee): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Friday, September 23, 2005

FROM THE PUBLISHER
A commercial Jetliner disaster has brought Tempe Brennan to the North Carolina mountains as a member of the investigative agency DMORT. As bomb theories abound, Tempe soon discovers a jarring piece of evidence that raises dangerous questions -- and gets her thrown from the DMORT team. Relentless in her pursuit of its significance, Tempe uncovers a shocking, multilayered tale of deceit and depravity as she probes her way into frightening territory -- where someone wants her stopped in her tracks.

This is the first book of Kathy Reichs I have read (though I know for a fact we have one of hers on a shelf somewhere.) I was pleasantly surprised. I have read a lot of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta novels, and wonder if the two forensic females ever run into each other. After all, North Carolina and Virginia are neighboring states, and the professional pool of experts just can't be that huge.

One of the things I especially liked was that this book took place in an area I know quite well and love dearly. The mountains of North Carolina are beautiful. At the point where North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia come together is an area the czuk family retreats to for replenishment of spirit.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Saturday, September 24, 2005

Sending to the New Zealand Convention...a book taking place in North Carolina (one state over from South Carolina where the 2007 Convention will be! Come on over!!!)

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Caught for the m-bag going to our friends in New Zealand.

I'm including a picture of the "Aspen turning", a particularly Colorado thing to see. This was taken on a quick drive my husband and I took up into the mountains. This is how my part of this country looks at this time of year :)

Journal Entry 4 by NZ-2006-Con from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Another book out of the bag.
Someone will enjoy reading this book.

Thank you bookczuk for sending this to us for our convention.

Journal Entry 5 by boreal from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Monday, January 23, 2006

Pulled this out of the box the other morning when I felt like reading something lightish. I have read several books by this author before and find them good page turners even if sometimes the plot is a bit too full of coincidences. Anyway this was another great read, there was perhaps a bit of an overuse of acronyms which can be a bit annoying. With the author being a forensic pathologist herself you know that all the scientific procedures described are going to be very realistic. Actually a few years back when Kathy Reich's was in NZ promoting a book she was asked to investigate some human bones that had been washed up on a South Island beach.
Back into the convention box it goes -thanks for sending it Bookczuk!

Journal Entry 6 by Cathietay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, February 20, 2006

Picked up in my goodie bag and really looking forward to sinking my teeth into it.

Journal Entry 7 by daveytay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, November 06, 2006

A very good and memorable book with some very vivid scenes. A detective novel that moves along well. I will enjoy more of this genre if they come my way.

Journal Entry 8 by Cathietay from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, November 06, 2006

Yes Daveytay I am journaling, note for future releases – ask me to journal before making the release notes. The problems with sharing TBR piles – the can get muddled.
Back to the novel – it’s a passable forensic novel with less plot holes than if it was a Made for TV Movie. Passed the time.

Journal Entry 9 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Picked up at tonight's meetup. Hi bookczuk!

=+=

Journal Entry 10 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, November 20, 2006

I probably wouldn't have picked up this book normally, but Cathietay and daveytay recommended it (and pointed out it was a bookczuk book all the way from Charleston, so of course I had to read it then :-)). And I'm really glad I did read it - it was completely different to what I expected from the cover (yes, I know, judging books by their covers is a bad thing, but we all do it...) - a riveting mystery (though I agree with boreal that coincidence was a bit overused), and a fascinating look at forensic anthropology (I didn't realise until about half way through that the author is actually a forensic anthropologist herself - I kept thinking that she must have done a lot of research to be able to write about it so well!)

I think I'll be looking out for more books by this author.

=+=

Journal Entry 11 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, November 25, 2006

Given to DiscoveryLover - Happy 21st Birthday!

=+=

Journal Entry 12 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from -- Somewhere in the UK!, -- Trains, Tube, Metro, Buses -- United Kingdom on Sunday, November 26, 2006

I recieved this book from Futurecat for my birthday, who was visiting Sherlockfan this last weekend. I started it on Sunday, and am now on page 303, and am REALLY enjoying it!!!

Journal Entry 13 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from -- Somewhere in the UK!, -- Trains, Tube, Metro, Buses -- United Kingdom on Friday, December 08, 2006

I really enjoyed this book. The only thing I didn't enjoy that much was there were parts that were almost completely jargon, which makes for hard reading, especially if you don't want to read all the explanation of the jargon as well! But overall, a good book! Thanks again to all who have passed it on!

I will probably see if Sherlockfan wants this on tuesday, when we have our meet up, or if she doesn't, I will send it to Krazyblonde.

Journal Entry 14 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Blend Cafe and Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, December 11, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (12/12/2006 UTC) at Blend Cafe and Bar in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

At the meetup tonight!

Journal Entry 15 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from -- Somewhere in the UK!, -- Trains, Tube, Metro, Buses -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I took this book to our meet up last night in the hopes that Sherlockfan would want it, but she declined on the excuse that her Mt. TBR is already far to high! So I am going to send it on to Krazyblondeone!

Journal Entry 16 by KrazyBlonde from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 04, 2007

Received this as part of my Christmas pressie, thanks dl. I have already read this one but I know someone who would love to read it. Will send it on soon.

Journal Entry 17 by KrazyBlonde from Auckland, Auckland Province New Zealand on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sending to Toadee as part of his birthday parcel. Happy Birthday (((((((Toadee))))))))). Sorry it's later (as always).

Journal Entry 18 by Toadee from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A bithday gift, thank you KB!