corner corner The Natural Superiority of the Left-hander

by James T.De Kay | Health, Mind & Body
Registered by rem_-JAFFA- on 9/21/2005

status (set by gussy916): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by rem_-JAFFA- on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A lighthearted look at the inside-out world of left-handedness, seeking to prove what left-handers have always suspected - they are not only different from everybody else, they are better. Drawing on NASA statistics and neurological surgical research, the book makes its points with sly good humour.

Journal Entry 2 by rem_-JAFFA- on Thursday, September 22, 2005

Luintaurien USA
jessibud Canada
DJgib UK
gussy916 India

Journal Entry 3 by rem_-JAFFA- at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 29, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/29/2005 UTC) at in the mail in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to sterile

Journal Entry 4 by Sterile from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 01, 2005

Caught this book today! It arrived a bit soggy in the post but is fine under the wrapping. Will read this weekend and post out to Pam99 on Monday.

Journal Entry 5 by Sterile at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, October 02, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (10/2/2005 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posting to Pam99 in the morning as promised. A few good points in this book of cartoons and stories. Particulaly how I look and interpret things differently from my husband who is Right handed.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpam99wing from Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Apologies, this arrived last week and I thought I'd already journaled it. An enjoyable book with some interesting facts... my brother and I are both left handers, with two right handed parents and no known left handers on either side. There's a Scots word for it as well - 'caurie-fistit', with various variations in spelling and pronuciation.

Will pm the next reader and get it on its way asap.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpam99wing from Ochiltree, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 15, 2005

mailing today to janey-canuck

Journal Entry 8 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 04, 2005

I couldn't help but read this the minute I opened the package up when I got home last night. This was an excellent book. It should be required reading in all elementary schools! I laughed and laughed and laughed while I read this and shared bits and pieces of it with friends. Truly an amazing book.

Am pm-ing for next address and will get off in mail soon.

Journal Entry 9 by janey-canuck from Guelph, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 05, 2005

A million and seven apologies for holding onto this so long. I took it to work with me one day to show a left-handed colleague and someone else asked if they could borrow it for the night. Unfortunately "night" turned into "month". But I've got it back now and I'm taking it to the post office this very minute.

Journal Entry 10 by heartsong2 on Monday, December 12, 2005

Arrived in post today! This will be fun!

Journal Entry 11 by heartsong2 on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

What a silly-fun book! My personal weirdest experience as a left-hander was when I assisted my right-handed-3-year-old daughter to put on her belt. I threaded it through her belt loops and buckled it up, next thing I know, she squawks at me, takes the belt off and re-threads it through her belt loops going the other way. Guess mommy doesn't always know best after all.

It was also weird going through nursing school, learning clinical techniques from right-handed instructors. Setting up an IV is stressful enough as it is. But when you're trying to translate right-handed moves into left-handed ones in front of a patient who knows they are at your mercy, that's total klutz time. Especially when your instructor doesn't comprehend that there's a difference.

Personally, I always blamed the fact that I suck at aiming sports (ie: archery, bowling, darts) on being left-handed.

What a laugh!

Posted to mrsordonez 12/14/05!

Journal Entry 12 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, December 18, 2005

Looks like a cute, fun, quick read. Jaffa -- Why did you drop out of my ring!!!! For all else on this ring, if you want to join **my** Lefties book bookring, PM me and I'll put you on it.

Lefties

I'll this pass on after vacation.

Journal Entry 13 by mrsordonez from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, December 25, 2005

Finished this quickly. It was cute, but didn't contain much information I hadn't come across before. I'll post this after returning from Christmas holiday.

My husband and father are both "confused" lefties, they were made to do some things right handed, but others feel more natural with the left. They aren't ambidextrous, can't choose, but can't seem to stick with one side or the other.

I guess the toughest thing for me, as a very dedicated leftie, is that I am right-eyed due to a very extreme left lazy eye. For sportsman, you should know that since I am right eyed, my aim is terrible if I use my left hand. I finally, reluctantly, gave in to using my right hand for archery and riflery (scary!) and found that now I am a much better shot.

Thanks for sharing!

By the way, the book featured in one of the illustrations in this book is "Sinister People" by Jack Fincher, the book I have a bookray for.... It's still not to late to join! A bit heavier reading, but very enjoyable.

Journal Entry 14 by Abecedarian from Clearwater, Kansas USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Just arrived today as part of Jaffa's bookring. Can't wait to get to it.

Journal Entry 15 by Abecedarian from Clearwater, Kansas USA on Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A very funny look at the wonders of being a lefty! Lots of fun. It is now on its way to monkeyflower..

Journal Entry 16 by monkeyflower from San Francisco, California USA on Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I received this. Thanks for sending it.

Journal Entry 17 by monkeyflower from San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, April 06, 2006

This is silly but fun. I enjoyed reading it with my right-handed husband. It went out in the mail this morning.

Journal Entry 18 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Sunday, April 16, 2006

Got it Saturday. Thank you. Will read and pass on ASAP.

Journal Entry 19 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Very interesting and entertaining. thanks for the chance to read it.

Journal Entry 20 by Luintaurien from York, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Good book with lots of ineresting little facts. Thanks for the chance to read it.

Journal Entry 21 by Luintaurien at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA on Monday, April 02, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (4/2/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/Ring, Rabck in York, Nebraska USA

Sent to Aramena for help with shipping.

Journal Entry 22 by wingAramenawing from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Headed out to Jessibud!

Journal Entry 23 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Wow! This book arrived today! Looks like a quick read so I will PM the next in line right away, so I get get it out as soon as I'm done.

Journal Entry 24 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 04, 2007

I'm done! This was a cute and very quick read. Mailed out on May 6

Journal Entry 25 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 14, 2007

Don't you just love it when bookrings creep up on you? I can vaguely remember being invited for this one but didn't see it coming at all. Lovely! It looks like a quick read so I'm sure I'll have it moving on soon. Thanks for sharing -JAFFA- and for sending it on jessibud.

Journal Entry 26 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hee hee, this was fun! You know, when I was a kid my life's ambition was to be an astronaut :-)

I'll pm the next person and send the book on asap.

Journal Entry 27 by DJgib from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Well it took a very long time, but I've now got an address for gussy916, who is now in Singapore! I'll post the book later this week.

Journal Entry 28 by gussy916 from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Its here! safe and sound - thank you so much for sending it Daniele :-)