corner corner Razzle

Razzle
by Ellen Wittlinger | Teens
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 9/20/2005

status (set by EllyMae58): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2005

From Publishers Weekly
When his parents retire, Kenyon, the 15-year-old narrator of Wittlinger's (Hard Love) uneven new book, begrudgingly moves with them from Boston to the Cape Cod beach community, where they plan to renovate and run a cottage colony for tourists. He meets eccentric (and equally lonely) Razzle at the Truro town dump where she works. While their relationship develops smoothly and realistically, other characters and plot points come off as flat. As Ken gets more involved in Razzle's chaotic life, she teaches him not to be a "perwin" ("person without imagination") and instead to be someone visible. He also learns though a little late the value of loyalty. Some of the plotting is spot on (for example, when Ken, a budding photographer, is manipulated by a loose local knockout to showcase cheesy photos of her along with his soulful shots of Razzle at the end-of-the-summer art show). Readers will also relate to the strained relationship he has with his parents, especially his mother who raised him on "automatic pilot." Other points are less successful, such as Razzle's alcoholic mother's dramatic confession about what happened to the father of her children, and a few supporting characters, including a gay plumber and an old artist who stays at the cottages, seem too scripted. Ages 12-up.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I found myself not being able to put it down at the end.

I'm sending this one off to rexuar as a surprise along with some other books I promised him

Journal Entry 3 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mailing off to rexuar today

Journal Entry 4 by rexuar from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, October 27, 2006

This morning I got a HUGE box including this book! thanks Alsgal

Journal Entry 5 by rexuar at in a VBB in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Friday, December 01, 2006

Released 10 yrs ago (11/30/2006 UTC) at in a VBB in to another bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases

passed on via the teen vbb

Journal Entry 6 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, January 12, 2007

This came in the mail while I was on "vacation." Looks great! Thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 01, 2007

This was a good story...good beach reading, which I used it for, in part. Kenyon's confusion about where his loyalties lie, while disappointing, is all too realistic. I loved following Ken and Razzle's relationship as it developed and seeing the contrast between the real love he seemed to feel for her and his shallow "love" for Harley. A good, quick read.

Next to ellymae58 who grabbed it from the Teen VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by EllyMae58 from San Diego, California USA on Thursday, June 21, 2007

I had forgotten about this one. LOL Thanks yourotherleft!
Boy, this one sure went the long way to get back to San Diego! :)

Hi Patti & Rex! *waves*

Journal Entry 9 by EllyMae58 at -- somewhere in San Diego -- in San Diego, California USA on Sunday, September 09, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (9/9/2012 UTC) at -- somewhere in San Diego -- in San Diego, California USA

Where it ends up, nobody knows!