corner corner The Catcher in the Rye.

The Catcher in the Rye.
by Jerome D. Salinger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Qantaqa of Dachau, Bayern Germany on 9/6/2005

status (set by bacicoline): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A quick read - and that's about the only good thing I can say about this book :o). Maybe I didn't get it...

Journal Entry 2 by Qantaqa from Dachau, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I'm going to turn this book into an international bookring - I hope some of you will appreciate the book more than I did!

Bookring order so far:
(subject to change to accommodate shipping preferences)

1. kinedi (UK)
2. tabbystripes (UK)
3. molekilby (UK)
4. bacicoline (France)
5. MCLANDRY (Canada)
6. BuzzyBuzzina (USA)
6. cwoods (UK)

possibly Teacher-Trudy (Australia, ships to Australia only)

Last. KittyNic (UK)

Journal Entry 3 by Qantaqa at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, September 12, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (9/12/2005 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to kinedi - I hope you'll all enjoy the book :o)!

Journal Entry 4 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, September 29, 2005

Here it is finally - slight delay in the post so I'll get stuck in straight away.Thanks Qantanga !

Journal Entry 5 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Well, I mainly signed up for this bookring because we had to read 'Catcher in the Rye' in school many many years ago and I thought it would be interesting to see what I make of it now. To be honest, I found the book far too bleak and weary to read, lots of ''angry young man'' which of course at the time was new and lead to the book being banned in many places. Nowadays though it may not strike as shocking anymore. I am glad I reread though and keep thinking I should maybe do that with more books that were pressed on me in schooldays.The book is ready to move on to tabbystripes now.

Journal Entry 6 by wingkinediwing at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Released 13 yrs ago (10/25/2005 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Will be posted out to tabbystripes today. Happy reading

Journal Entry 7 by tabbystripes on Friday, October 28, 2005

This was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. Thanks Kinedi!

I've read quite a bit of it already and I'm really enjoying it. Holden Caulfield is an obnoxious, little pain in the butt but he's also very funny! I can see I'm going to love this book.

Journal Entry 8 by tabbystripes on Thursday, November 17, 2005

"If you want to know the truth..."
I seem to be in the minority here because I enjoyed this book. It's completely different from anything else I've read recently. I loved all of Holden's funny little phrases and observations and now I find myself noticing, "the phonies" too!
Thanks Qantaqa for introducing me to this book! Good luck with the rest of your book-ring.

Now this book is off to molekilby. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, November 26, 2005

Received today with one other bookray. So it may be a full month to finish. I will let you know what I think at the end. Thanks to Qantaqa for hosting and tabbystripes for sending.

Journal Entry 10 by molekilby from Brithdir, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, December 11, 2005

Before I read this book I asked myself two questions, Would I rave about it like so many?, Would I be able to see the point of the book?

The first is easy, I enjoyed the book, it was well written, but no I do not rave about it.

The second I don't know. Tabbystripes describes Holden Caulfield as "an obnoxious, little pain in the butt" and I agree he was but there was a change in him by the end. This book takes us through the change from being high and haughty to him being humbled.

I believe the reason for his anger was to do with Allie. It's theme that keeps repeating throughout the book.

In the post to France.

Journal Entry 11 by bacicoline from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, December 29, 2005

many books in my mail box when I came back from holiday yesterday evening.

I have wanted to read this bookk for many many years now
I hope I will not be disappointed...