corner corner The Undomestic Goddess

by Sophie Kinsella | Humor
Registered by LeighBCD on 9/4/2005

status (set by LeighBCD): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by LeighBCD on Sunday, September 04, 2005

I bought this book to read on a flight from Chicago to London. I do not normally read "chick lit" books but a very good friend said I should read it because it was hilarious and the main character, Samantha, is a banking lawyer in a big City law firm who gives it all up for a slower pace of life. Well... this was so close to my own life that I had to read it.

This book did not disappoint - my favourite scene, because it struck so close to home, was where Sam decides to buy a new vacuum cleaner because she does not know how or where to buy vacuuum cleaner bags and buying a new cleaner would just be easier because the bags would come with it!! Now I never did anything like that, but I understand the sentiment behind such thinking, I used to do stuff like that myself. The first 50 pages were brilliant and perceptive - the rest of the book turned into sugary chick lit rom-com fare which I found less enthralling, but as these kinds of books go, this was a good one and I read it super quickly.

I left the book in an airport somewhere so it is not available for trade or releasing.