corner corner Ethan Frome

Ethan Frome
by Edith Wharton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jennannej of Coronado, California USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

status (set by booksponge): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I picked this up, starting to fall apart a bit, from the Novel Idea free box. I patched it up and read this book for the first time since I became an Edith Wharton fan.

I'm pretty sure we read this book in high school, but I sure didn't remember it. I have to say, for all the hype, this has been my LEAST favorite Wharton book so far. THere's no redemptive quality about the end, only desolation.

Journal Entry 2 by jennannej at -- Wild, somewhere in Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (8/30/2005 UTC) at -- Wild, somewhere in Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska USA

Someone took "The Citizen"'s reading material yesterday. I guess I will have to provide him with more today! :)

Journal Entry 3 by booksponge from Lincoln, Nebraska USA on Friday, October 21, 2005

I loved finding the book and reading the sticky note that said "I'm not lost... I'm free" and found it next to a sculpture of a seated portly man, in the Haymarket area in Lincoln,NE. Since it is a classic and hadn't ever read it, it was an opportunity.

Just wanted to thank you, jennannej, for leaving the book. Interestingly enough, my mother gave me the tape form of the book that same week (coincidence???)so I knew for some reason that I had to "read" it. I had already started the book, and completed it by listening to the tapes in the car and then read the afterword after listening to the tape. It was a desolate book with starkness I am unaccustomed to, but still interesting. I had watched the movie "The House of Mirth"(Wharton)with Jillian Anderson, and found that to be without levity as well, but worthy.

I will put it by "The Watchful Citizen" today as I liked that place of retrieval.
Best regards, blessings abound!