corner corner Brideshead Revisited: Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder (Penguin Modern Classics)

by Evelyn Waugh | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Cosh5 of Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

status (set by octoberskye): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Cosh5 from Nottingham, not specified not specified on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The most nostalgic and reflective of Evelyn Waugh's novels.

Journal Entry 2 by wingPookledowing from Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 06, 2005

I picked this up from the Quackers OBCZ. I have noticed that it is on lots of wishlists so am offering this up as a bookray.

If anyone wants to be added to the ray, please PM me :o)

.oliveoyle(UK, will post to the UK)
.skribble (UK)
.chas04 (UK)

Griete (Switzerland)

Journal Entry 3 by wingPookledowing at n/a in Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 07, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2005 UTC) at n/a in Bookray, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Oliveoyle for the start of the bookray.

Journal Entry 4 by oliveoyle from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 14, 2005

Yey! I got this yesterday! Can't wait to read it. My boss has lent me a book which I guess I'll have to read first, but it's only a short one so hopefully it won't be too long until I get on to this. Thanks pookledoo!

Journal Entry 5 by oliveoyle from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 24, 2005

I just couldn't get in to this, I'm afraid. I've got about 100 pages in but it's just not speaking to me, so I'm going to give in (which fills me with ridiculous guilt) and pass it on to the next person. Thanks for the opportunity, though, Pookledoo!

I've PMed skribble and will post this on when I've the address.

Journal Entry 6 by oliveoyle at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (10/25/2005 UTC) at Post Office in By Mail, A Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

On its way to skribble! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 27, 2005

It arrived yesterday - with another bookring!
Thanks Pookledo and oliveoyle

Journal Entry 8 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, November 20, 2005

This took some reading - but was worthwhile. It was different from my expectations, I thought the book was more about Sebastian than Charles.

There is so much in this book, I know it would benefit from a second read, but can't see me ever getting round to it. I would love to see the TV adaptation.

Will send to chas04 as soon as I get their address.

Journal Entry 9 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Thank you for the book, I'll get on to it ASAP.

25.12.05
I really enjoyed it. I hadn't seen the tv programme but all anyone could tell me was that a grown man wanders around with a teddy bear. In fact, that only features in the first few chapters of the book. Strange what people remember.

It's a bit of a strange story about Charles Ryder and his relationship with various members of the Flyte family. Religion and homosexuality are the underlying themes, although the latter is only hinted at really.

An interesting insight into the British upper classes before the second world war.

Journal Entry 10 by chas04 from Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 02, 2006

Released to Griete in Switzerland

Journal Entry 11 by Griete from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, January 08, 2006

Thanks, I just got it and will start reading it as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 12 by Griete from Bern, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I finished it today and feel it deserves a second reading, which I hope I will be able to do at some point in my lifetime. For now, I am letting it free.
I did enjoy it and was moved by parts of it, although it was not what I expected and it took a surprising turn towards the final chapters.

Journal Entry 13 by octoberskye from Norwood, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, January 28, 2007

Just arrived-thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by octoberskye from Norwood, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 17, 2007

Couldn't get into it and it looks like the ray is done so I released it via PaperBackSwap.