corner corner What BC Is To Me Journal

What BC Is To Me Journal
by Bookcrossers | Journals
Registered by guinaveve of Mason, Ohio USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

status (set by guinaveve): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I am putting together this journal to allow other Bookcrossers to share in.

It is my 1000th registerd and 1000th released book since joining bookcrossing a little over 1 1/2 years ago.

What BC Is To Me? Journal- This would contain how you relate to BC, your favorite way of using it (trading, wild releasing, RABCKing, whatever). You could include how it has changed your reading habits, book buying habits, online time, or life.
You could put in tips for better BCing that have worked for you. Pointers you may have about wild releasing, bookrings, bookrays, bookboxes, challenges, ect.
Or include your favorite BC forum to hang out in and why.
Someone also mentioned including the experience of meeting other BCers. You could write about a meet-up you went to, or meeting an individual, or virtual meetings (in the forum, private message boards, instant message, ect).
Tell about your experiences with BC related sites (Cliff's wish list or Casualreader's bookrelay for example).
Taping stuff inside, such as examples of your BC labels, bookmarks, quotes, stickers, scrapbook type stuff is welcome also. Include photos, stickers, doodlings, small works of art, ect.
This is really anything you want it to be about how BC relates to you and you to BC. You don't have to be a writer, just contribute however you feel comfortable. This will be international. I would like to send it back around to everyone after it is completed.

Please try to mail this off within 2 weeks, a month at the most, of receiving it so that everyone can enjoy it.

PARTICIPANT LIST
Lucinda (US)
BigJohnLefty (US)
jessibud (Canada)
Bookgirrl
AnglersRest (UK shipping, preferred)
Hellie (in England)
caffcaff (in England)
Tipperary (Europe shipping only)
eatsletters(Germany)
nice-cup-of-tea (Switzerland)
back to me Guinaveve (USA)
HOORAY! THIS JOURNAL HAS MADE IT HOME!!!

Journal Entry 2 by guinaveve at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (8/30/2005 UTC) at Fellow BookCrosser in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Lucinda.

Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 3 by Lucinda from Ventura, California USA on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Received last week. Mom is visiting this week, so I won't be able to get to it until next week, then I'll send it on. Thanks, Guinaveve!

Journal Entry 4 by Lucinda from Ventura, California USA on Friday, October 21, 2005

I finally got this finished and sent off to Big John Lefty this afternoon. I was pleased to be able to participate in such an historic journal! Thanks, Guinaveve!

Journal Entry 5 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Thursday, November 03, 2005

Wow, what a far-out idea! I've been so gungho on this journal thing, I'm glad to get one somebody else started!
I don't know how much I'll write in it, but I do want to get it sent on soon.

Journal Entry 6 by BigJohnLefty at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (11/29/2005 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sending this on to next person, in Canada.

Journal Entry 7 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, November 29, 2005

This is such a great idea - I'm sorry I didn't write as much as I wanted to in it! The questions for prompting were a good point of departure.

Journal Entry 8 by wingjessibudwing from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 19, 2005

Arrived today and I can't wait to climb into bed tonight and read through it so far! I only wish I wasn't so close to the beginning, so there would be more to read!

I love creative journals and this subject is especially close to my heart (as it is for all of us, obviously)

I have 4 more days until vacation begins so I will wait until then to begin my own contribution. In the meantime, I will read, enjoy and think...!

Thanks for including me in this illustrious company! Stay tuned.....

Journal Entry 9 by wingjessibudwing from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I enjoyed participating in this journal. Handed it over to Bookgirrl this evening at our local meetup and she will continue its journey by sending it on afterwords. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Bookgirrl from Acton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Well, this was SO MUCH FUN ! Jessibud passed this journal to me at last Toronto meetup a few weeks ago. How appropriate ! She was the one who got me into BC'ing in the first place.....thru a wild release at a hardware store about one year ago.

I hope AnglersRest that you will have fun with the journal - it should be arriving there ANY minute, if not there already.

While reading this journal, I felt like I was making new friends. Really enjoyed the essays, and accompanying visuals .

Bookcrossing continues to be a rewarding adventure....

By the way, there was a BOOKMARK in the journal that made me smile. The character is a mouse, and I read a book about her several years ago, called Julius, the Baby of the World....I never laffed so hard at a kids book, my kids laughed too. I assumed Jessibud put it in the journal....but she didn't. Which one of you is the fan of this author and can you tell me if there are other books in the series? And, the author's name?

Madeleine - aka Bookgirrl

Journal Entry 11 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, February 16, 2006

Hello everyone, oh my, postie delivered 6 packs today, three from eBay and three were book rings, this one included.

I am really looking forward to reading all the previous journal entries and making my entries in the Journal.

Journal Entry 12 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, March 02, 2006

I have really enjoyed writing and adding to the journal. I hope I haven't rambled too much!

As soon as I have located Hellie's address (buried under a pile of papers on my desk) the journal will be on its way once more, early next week.

Journal Entry 13 by Hellie from South Shields, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, March 11, 2006

This arrived today...I've flicked thru and what can I say but wow!!!

I have some ideas as to things I can stick in and am really looking forward to contributing.What a great idea!!

Journal Entry 14 by Dinkie from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I haven't written in a journal in quite a while and have really enjoyed contributing to this one. At first I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say but once I started... Thanks Guinaveve for giving me the opportunity to participate and share my thoughts.

Sorry about the delay on sending it on, but the journal is now travelling on it's way to Caffcaff.

Journal Entry 15 by AngelChild from Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Arrived this morning....

Wow, this journal is looking lovely :o) I'm gunna sit down with a cup of tea and have a read through, then compile my entry.....

Journal Entry 16 by AngelChild at on Sunday, May 21, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (5/21/2006 UTC) at

This journal will now be continuing its journey :o)

Journal Entry 17 by Tipperary from Chiari, Lombardia Italy on Monday, August 07, 2006

It's safe in my hands!! This journal is great.. I'm trying to find something nice to stick in it and to write a brief of my bc life.

Journal Entry 18 by eatsletters on Friday, August 18, 2006

ohhh, I have really been looking forward to this one!

And I still have some exposures left on the film in my camera, so maybe I will try to do something with pictures...

What I really loved:

the journal was really well wrapped and there was a note to the postman INSIDE, that is sooo cool (brightened up my day) so I think I will share it (Tipperary, I hope that is OK):

I put a spell on this journal the TutanTipperary spell. Here in Italy some unpleasant post office clerks are used to open parcels and steal their content... well hope it's eatsletters opening this package! (yes it is)if not, sorry, man but I got you! You're spending at least an enchanted month at the toilet.

And then sonething in Italian that I didn't understand.

I think that is a great idea. What a horrible thing to steal other people's parcels!

But this one is here and I look forward to it.

Journal Entry 19 by eatsletters on Thursday, September 28, 2006

wow wow wow. I am so impressed by how creative the others have been...

I just need to add one postcard of the place I live, then the book can travel on. I enjoyed it very much!

(And I realized how different people's handwriting can be... and how from the same letters handwriting is totally different for example in the US and other English speaking countries. The letters seem to be written in slightly different ways. Fascinating.)

Journal Entry 20 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Saturday, October 14, 2006

This BC Journal arrived this week in Zürich - thanks to eatsletters for sending it to me! I will add my entry soon and then post back to guinaveve!

Journal Entry 21 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, October 22, 2006

What a fantastic booko! I was very honoured to be the last on the list - it meant I could read everyone else's entries :-) I wanted to scan all the pages and make an electronic book, but sadly couldn't get access to a scanner... I really wanted all the earlier participants to see how "their book" turned out!

Guinaveve, the book is now on its way back to you - happy reading!

Journal Entry 22 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Thursday, November 09, 2006

I am so excited that this journal has arrived home today! I intended to jump online and journal immediately, but I got intrigued looking through it and ended up sitting down and reading the whole thing. It is wonderful. Everyone's contributions are great. I love the postcards, print outs, labels, inserts, clippings, pictures, ect. I loved to reading all of the accounts of how folks felt about BC and found the ones regarding finding friends both IRL and online the most touching.

-Lucinda, I enjoyed reading about your scavenger hunt in West Chester, OH. I was surprised to have unintentionally set that up myself by releasing lots of books in the area for my BC anniversary.
-BigJohnLefty it was nice to see you contributing to the journal. I have heard that you enjoy participating in the journals, so it was nice to see your writing in mine.
-Jessibud, I love the 2 page spread you did with all the "BC words."
-Bookgirrl, the story of how you joined BC is neat. I like to read about those that join after finding a book. And thank you for including the article that you wrote.
-Lyzzybee I enjoyed reading about the magazine you work for and seeing the original cover and the anniversary cover from 25 years later. And the "Word on the Street" sounds fabulous!
-AnglersRest the story about the Secret Santa sending you cake from a recipe used in the household of the Queen of England along with books and other goodies is neat.
-Hellie the quotes you included are wonderful and some are pretty funny, especially the Grocho Marx quote "Outide of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
-Dinkie, the story of how you started your love of reading around age 12 is was nice to read.
-Caffcaff, I loved the pic of the BC M&Ms. Reading about the conventions and meetings was great too. Coincidentally, I read Whiteraven's book while this journal was circulating and read about her website www.markeroni.com so it was pretty cool to see that you included a Markeroni bookmark.
-Tipperary your "spell" that you put on the book to ensure the postal folks didn't steal it must have worked! I enjoyed reading about your BC meetings.
-Eatsletters your story about finding friends and getting a job tip that led to new employment in a new city was great. Your look beautiful in your picture. And I loved the postcards with the before and after the Wall pictures from Berlin.
-nice-cup-of-tea your card is so cute! How lovely that your friend designed it. Thank you also for including the articles, pics, and labels.

I am thrilled to have this back. Since sending it out, 2 BCers in my area have become active. I see one of them every 2 weeks or so since she works at the place I get my son's haircut. Anyway, I am hoping to initiate a local BC meet up since we have newer active members and this journal would be perfect to bring and share there. I am sure other local BCers might like to contribute to it and there is room in it. After that is done, I will look into sending it back around.

Thank you all for sharing in this with me!!!