corner corner INCONCEIVABLE

INCONCEIVABLE
by Ben Elton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by TheWhiteLion of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005

status (set by wilksie): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by TheWhiteLion from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 26, 2005

Picked up this book by the famous Ben Elton in a charity shop for next to nothing. Am keen to read my first Ben Elton book!

Journal Entry 2 by TheWhiteLion from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

"Inconceivable" is the story of a married couple who is desperate to have a baby. While their story is very much focussed on the baby-making process, they also have to deal with everyday things, like stresses at work and their relationship.

The story is told in the form of diary entries - Sam and Lucy both keep diaries to express their feelings and thoughts throughout their struggle to conceive a child.

I enjoyed the book. I laughed out loud several times within the first 10 pages, and that set the tone for the rest of the book. I was always eager to find our what was going to happen next, and had to fight the urge to read ahead. Although the book may not be a literary masterpiece, I found it to be a good, light read, and very entertaining. The book definitely gave me an insight into the world of couples dealing with infertility problems. If you enjoyed British comedy movies like "Notting Hill", "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Love Actually", then this book is a must-read.

On the critical side, the book is very much written from a male's perspective, and most males that I know would have handled most of the issues raised with more sensitivity. The author overstates the male and female points of view, to generate the comedy in the story.

Although I tend to disregard the reviews of book critics shown in the front of the book (as the bad reviews are never shown), there was one review that struck me. The reviewer from The Natal Witness simply said,

"It's funny, it's sad, it's unputdownable."

And so it is.

Journal Entry 3 by TheWhiteLion from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 01, 2006

After lying on my bookshelf for yonks, this book is finally off on a travelling adventure - it's going to the winner of the Bookcrossing UK Sweepstake! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wilksie from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 03, 2006

This arrived today along with 4 other packages, thus confirming my suspicions that I have won the sweepstake! Oh dear ..... but how exciting!!

Thank you very much TheWhiteLion.

My son is a Ben Elton fan so I will ask him if he has read this.....but I haven't read any Ben Elton.....and it does look interesting so I think it might have to be added to Mt TBR for a little while before I release it.

Journal Entry 5 by wilksie at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 26, 2012

This has come back to me from my son who has found it on his bookshelves. He enjoyed it but isn't a bookcrosser so hasn't made a journal entry himself. I'll make it available and hope to release it in the near future.

Journal Entry 6 by wilksie at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 03, 2013

Wild released on Crosby Beach Merseyside, Monday 29th April.
Lovely sunny day (but cold wind!) and lots of walkers about so I hope this book has been picked up.