corner corner Buddies

Buddies
by Ethan Mordden | Gay & Lesbian
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 8/21/2005

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, August 21, 2005

This is the second book in Mordden's "Buddies" series, and mixes more tales of Bud, Dennis Savage, Little Kiwi, and friends with stories that focus on characters outside of the cycle. The stories touch on friendship, brotherhood, romance, desire, and just making one's way in the world, and as always the language is lyrical and the stories funny, poignant, and sometimes frightening. I love them!

There's too much quotable prose here, but for a sample: several characters have just had a quarrel - emotional things going on for several of them in different ways - and Bud-the-narrator retires to the deck with Martin Chuzzlewit to get out of the way. He muses "if Dickens had seen a gay American instead of the intolerant jackoff straight kind he did see, he might have had a better time here." [It helps if you've read Martin Chuzzlewit, in which Dickens tears the USA a new one {grin}.] Bud is being rather intolerant himself at this point, and gets called on it later by his friends, leading to a surprising discussion of belonging and what it means to be gay...

This is also the book in which we find out how Little Kiwi came by that name, but I'm not telling; you'll have to read the book.

The books in the series can each be read alone - the loosely-connected-story theme is carried on throughout - but if you do read the series in order, you can pick up on long-term character-development. The series:

I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore
Buddies
Everybody Loves You
Some Men Are Lookers
How's Your Romance

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, July 24, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (7/24/2017 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the LGBTQ+ bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Enjoy!