corner corner Cut

Cut
by Patricia McCormick | Literature & Fiction
Registered by SandDanz of New Albany, Indiana USA on Saturday, August 20, 2005

status (set by intry): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Saturday, August 20, 2005

In this adaptation of McCormick's debut novel, Lewis (TV's Ellen) imbues her reading with the cynicism and pain of the book's troubled 15-year-old protagonist, Callie. Callie faces some difficult emotional hurdles as a "guest" at the residential treatment center where she has been sent because she cuts herself with sharp objects. In a flat, unaffected tone, befitting someone unhappy with her situation, Lewis's Callie explains the daily routines and schedules at Sea Pines, the facility dubbed "Sick Minds" by Callie's roommate. Though she doesn't speak to her fellow guests, or even her doctors at first, listeners are always privy to Callie's feelings and her impressions of her surroundings, be it what the anorexic guests don't eat or how the substance abuse guests cope. Details of her stressful, dysfunctional home life trickle out along the way; it's at these points that Lewis's vulnerable voice invites listeners to feel compassion for Callie. As Callie makes breakthroughs with her therapists and comes to better understand her behavior and its causes, Lewis meets the challenge of tearful scenes. Lewis never sounds phony, though, and conveys the hope in McCormick's ending, which suggests Callie's eventual recovery.

Journal Entry 2 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Thursday, September 08, 2005

This was a great book! It showed the progress of not only Callie's recovery, but some of the other girls in the story that had other problems that they were dealing with. I haven't read too many books involving depression, but I thought this was a great book for young adults to read in order to learn about these kinds of issues.

Books is now reserved for Miss October, Cosmic-Gin, of the Relay Groupies. :)

Journal Entry 3 by SandDanz at Sent via air mail at New Albany, IN post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 22, 2005

Released 8 yrs ago (9/23/2005 UTC) at Sent via air mail at New Albany, IN post office in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Cosmic-Gin, relay groupie of the month for October... hope I picked a good one off of your wishlist! ;)

Journal Entry 4 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, October 01, 2005

You sure did pick a great book for me Sand. Glad the book is a good read, I'm very interested in this type of depression. I don't grasp the concepts of 'cutting' but want to understand more about it to help a friend of mine. Image hosted by Photobucket.com so much I really appreciate it!

Journal Entry 5 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, November 20, 2005

I agree that this book would be great for young adults. It is a quick and easy read and brings a lot of issues to the foreground in a subtle way eg: depression, cutting, eating disorders, drug & alcohol addiction etc. Not as indepth as I would of liked (to help understand my friend) but definitely one for young adults to approach and understand some tough subjects.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to read this book!

Journal Entry 6 by cosmic-gin from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 28, 2006

Image hosted by Photobucket.com   sending to lmn60 for Melbourne's first OBCZ!!

Journal Entry 7 by winglmn60wing from Spotswood, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 06, 2006

Thanks so much for your generosity, cosmic-gin! Will take it to meetup on Tuesday and, if no one snaffles it there, on to the OBCZ...

Journal Entry 8 by winglmn60wing at Prahran Hotel in Prahran, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (5/9/2006 UTC) at Prahran Hotel in Prahran, Victoria Australia

Releasing at meetup tonight. It will either go to another bookcrosser, or head off to the OBCZ at the Kaleidoscope Cafe.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 10, 2006

This little book was grabbed by myself at the meetup - always happy to get a small book so my Mt TBR doen't get too high.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Monday, June 26, 2006

I chose this book mainly because it was short- when I discovered it was about self abuse (Callie deliberately cuts herself), I was disappointed because it was a topic I didn’t want to read about. However, there was very little emphasis on the physical abuse and more on the reasons for doing so and the healing which had to take place for Callie to stop doing damage to herself.
Callie is a 15 year old girl, who took the blame for her brother Sam’s illness and the subsequent breaking down of her parent’s marriage. She had to learn through the support of other troubled teenagers and a caring counselor that she was not a “bad” girl.
An interesting look at troubled teenagers.

Journal Entry 11 by intry from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Saturday, September 02, 2006

Book arrived this week to Finland. Thank you meganh for the RABCK!
Looks like a really interesting read.

Journal Entry 12 by intry at Någonstans i Stockholm in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, August 02, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (8/3/2012 UTC) at Någonstans i Stockholm in Stockholm, Stockholm Sweden

Will release the book by a sculpture in the city center or Marabouparken.