corner corner THE DEAD ZONE

THE DEAD ZONE
by Stephen King | Horror
Registered by SheWhoReads of Athens, Georgia USA on Monday, August 29, 2005

status (set by SheWhoReads): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Monday, August 29, 2005

Reserved for the Banned Books Month Challenge.

#83 on the ALA's list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000.

In my local library, I found a wonderful series of books about banned books. On page 83 of Literature Suppressed on Social Grounds by Dawn B. Sova (published by Facts on File, Inc, copyright 1998), it says:

In 1992, parents complained to the school superintendent in Peru, Indiana, that [Cujo] and two other King novels, The Dead Zone and Christine, contained "filthy language" and were "not suitable for high school students," and they asked for its removal. The superintendent recommended to the school board that the novels be kept in the school library and made available to students who had parental permission. The school board refused to consider the suggestion and voted 5-1 to ban the books entirely from the high school library.

...In 1994, a local minister and a school board member in Bismark, North Dakota, claimed that Cujo and eight other King novels (Carrie, Christine, The Dead Zone, The Drawing of the Three, The Eyes of the Dragon, Pet Sematary, The Shining, and Thinner) should be removed from the school libraries. They challenged the novel[s] on grounds of "age appropriateness."

Journal Entry 2 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Monday, August 29, 2005

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

I received this book via FrugalReader.com in order to wild release it. I haven't read it yet, but I'm a big fan of the television show, so I'm looking forward to reading it before I release it!

Book Description:
John Smith awakens from an interminable coma with an accursed power-the power to see the future and the terrible fate awaiting mankind in...the dead zone.

Journal Entry 3 by SheWhoReads from Athens, Georgia USA on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I really thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's the first Stephen King I've ever read -- and, wow, can he write. Very absorbing, satisfying, and interesting. I was fascinated by the development of Johnny Smith's character: from a rather happy-go-lucky, charming, normal guy to somone with psychic powers. I found the way Johnny coped with both recovering from his coma and with his newfound abilities compelling. This was good stuff.

I also really liked the ending, even though it was a bit bittersweet. Johnny stopped Greg Stillson without having to become a murderer -- the best of all possible worlds. And, yikes, was Stillson one crazy dude! Very scary. I loved the way he shot himself in the foot at the end, though -- that was just classic.

As a fan of the television show, I also enjoyed seeing the similarites and differences between the two universes.

This was a great read! I recommend it!

Journal Entry 4 by SheWhoReads at Panera Bread on Atlanta Hwy (old Damon's bldg) in Athens, Georgia USA on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (9/6/2005 UTC) at Panera Bread on Atlanta Hwy (old Damon's bldg) in Athens, Georgia USA

I left this book on a table inside Panera Bread.