corner corner Amsterdam

Amsterdam
by Ian McEwan | Literature & Fiction
Registered by detailista of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on 8/12/2005

status (set by gauloise-noire): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, August 12, 2005

To be read, eventually, delighted to loan or bookring in the meantime :)

Journal Entry 2 by detailista at N/A in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 11, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/12/2005 UTC) at N/A in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Just had this on loan from Detailista, hence the reserved status. Meantime, on to the TBR shelf with it...

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, March 11, 2006

Now part of my Man Booker Prize Winners Reading Project.

Journal Entry 5 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 09, 2006

In Amsterdam McEwan demonstrates his usual incomporable style and the plot keeps the pages turning. I feel, though, that this book could have been so much more and certainly doesn't compare with other books of his that I have read. In particular I found the ending entirely unconvincing both in terms of the actions of the two main protagonists and also in what is supposedly possible in Amsterdam. Frankly, I'm surprised this won the Booker in 1998. Irrespective of this, I'd like to thank Detailista for lending me this. I'll get it in the post in the next day or two.

Journal Entry 6 by detailista at Unconvention 2006 in Birmingham, West Midlands -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 23, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/30/2006 UTC) at Unconvention 2006 in Birmingham, West Midlands -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 7 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006

Picked up at the Uncon in Birmingham yesterday.

Journal Entry 8 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 22, 2006

Ditto to UrbanSpaceman's comments - the ending was just too far-fetched and the book wasn't a patch on Atonement, which is the only other McEwan novel I have read. Still, it was a fast-moving and enjoyable read and I'm definitely going to look out for more of his work.

6 October 2006
To be taken to the Cambridge meet up tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by gauloise-noire from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 07, 2006

Picked up from table whilst meeting Brum lot. Have wanted to read for a while. You never know, I might get round to it one day!

Journal Entry 10 by gauloise-noire at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 03, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (2/4/2008 UTC) at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

I will be releasing this along with some other books durin my lunch break. I will release them around Helmore building and the library. Happy hunting!