corner corner Fumblerules

Fumblerules
by William Safire | Reference
Registered by BlueAmazon of Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on 8/8/2005

status (set by FriarTuck): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Monday, August 08, 2005

A lovely grammar guide, to replace the one gone astray in antof9's ring.

Journal Entry 2 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

for all the drama involved in getting this book, I thought i might be longer... but here are the things I particularly enjoyed.

p. 114
Tourist seeking a fish restaurant in Boston gets into a cab and says to the cabbie, "Say, do you know where I can get scrod?" Cabbie replies admiringly, " Mister, I've been asked that a thousand times but never before in the pluperfect subjunctive." who doesn't love a pluperfect joke?

P. 142
But we can resist the trend towards 'very unique'.....
I fear myself that Mr. Safire spoke too soon. It seems that everywhere I turn these days someone is saying some version of "very unique". Drives me and the bluemunchkin crazy.

Journal Entry 3 by BlueAmazon from Gaithersburg, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

book is off to mlbish. I've enclosed a postcard, as I know that antof9 had postcards inside her book for all of us. Maybe we can get that going too?

Journal Entry 4 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Blue -- thank you SO much for getting this book to revive my first-ever bookring (and first-ever stall)! That was really kind of you :) I'm thrilled that you were able to find a copy of this out-of-print book, and I think it's so sweet that you included a post card! Thanks :)

To read the journal entries on the original ring, click here.

Bishy -- enjoy the book (I bet you forgot you signed up for it!)

And for administration purposes, here is the original bookring order:

labmomnm -- New Mexico/US
bookczuk -- South Carolina/US
wyldanthem -- Virginia/US
MarciNYC -- New Jersey/US
TaterTotsMother (dorks rule!) -- Michigan/US
BlueAmazon (she has a copy of "Eats Shoots and Leaves" she's thinking of ringing) -- California/US
mlbish (Word Nerds of the World -- Unite!) -- Illinois/US
newk (a late entry, cause we love him, and here's part of his PM to me: "pretty please can I still fit in. I plead limited internet access for late request.") -- Australia
FriarTuck -- England/UK visiting the friar!
Metropolitan (I’m scared that I can’t think what abbreviation should go after “Brazil”) -- Brazil
Joanthro (you'll smile at her opening paragraph and pic on her profile) -- Colorado/US
Antof9 -- a Colorado hand-off?!
jessibud -- Ontario/Canada
Back to the wonderful BlueAmazon :)

Journal Entry 5 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Caught! Thank you, BlueAmazon and Ant!

I already started this clever book, so I should have it moving shortly. I didn't forget about it, Ant. I've been looking forward to it all this time!

Journal Entry 6 by mlbish from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, October 14, 2005

This is one playful book! I finished it about two weeks ago, but it has had an awfully good time these past weeks playing hide and seek with me. I finally discovered it lurking in a dresser drawer (I suspect MrBish was in on the game), and have now sent it out in the post.

It was a delightful book. I loved the light tone and the 'fumblerules' at the beginning of each chapter cracked me up. I think my favorite, though, is the one Mr. Safire mentions in the introduction about planning ahead. The idea that the words 'plan ahead' would be scrunched up on the side of the poster because the artist ran out of room is just so funny!

Ahh, grammar with an attitude. I can't get enough!

Posted to FriarTuck today.

Journal Entry 7 by FriarTuck from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Received this book safe and sound. Might be a little while until I get to it, but will make it a priority.