corner corner This is Not a Novel

This is Not a Novel
by Jennifer Johnston | Literature & Fiction
Registered by over-the-moon of Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on 8/3/2005

status (set by ekaterin4luv): available

Journal Entry 1 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Cover painting is the House of Light by René Magritte; I saw the original, stunning, at an exhibition at the Hermitage, Lausanne.
This is one that "called to me" from the bookshelf of my local librairie, Ex Nihilo.

Pic. This is not an apple, by Magritte, which inspired the title of the book.

Journal Entry 2 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Halfway through, I wanted to write down some impressions. It seems that the basic theme is the social unit of a family, relationships between parents and children, raising and educating the children, wanting to decide their future, being disappointed by those that go away, and those that stay. The characters are a little shadowy, we see them through the eyes of Imogen, the daughter, and through old letters and snippets from diaries. Characteristics, events, impulsions are repeated from one generation to another, or jump a generation – something in the genes? Two houses play a role, the grandparents’ homes passed down. In my mind, the one in Lansdowne Road became my granddad’s house, the dark rooms, the piano in the parlour, the front door set back in an alcove, the staircase. I remembered lying in bed in the small front bedroom, watching the headlights of passing cars tracing yellow shafts that glided over the walls and ceiling, preventing me from going to sleep.

Echoes, across the bay. Echoes reverberating through the years.

Journal Entry 3 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Thursday, August 11, 2005

Below the surface, I could sense an undercurrent, something secret, and dangerous. It drew me to the end, but finally was predictable.

One thing struck me as odd, but is the hinge of the whole story : why did Sylvia leave her door open?

Journal Entry 4 by over-the-moon from Lausanne, Vaud Switzerland on Friday, April 21, 2006

this is going into the Big Yellow Bookbox

Journal Entry 5 by jellycat from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Sunday, May 28, 2006

Got the book out of my bookbox.

Journal Entry 6 by jellycat from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, October 05, 2006

It was an enjoyable read.

11.5.08 - This book will now continue its journey in daisyflower123's English Bookbox

Journal Entry 7 by ekaterin4luv from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Friday, January 02, 2009

I took it out of the box - I'm looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 8 by ekaterin4luv from Nürnberg, Bayern Germany on Thursday, February 19, 2009

Always The Child, never Imogen. That troubled me the most.
Otherwise it wasn't a very gripping novel, and yes, it is an novel all right. Not too gripping, but okay. Nice even, for all it's sadness. A broken picture of a family, like. But of course, I wouldn't stop either, it just flowed on and on.