corner corner The Lovely Bones

The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold | Literature & Fiction
Registered by CandyDarling of Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, August 01, 2005

status (set by CandyDarling): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by CandyDarling from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, August 01, 2005

'My name was Salmon, like the fish, first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. My murderer was a man from our neighborhood. My mother liked his border flowers, and my father talked to him once about fertilizer'

This is Susie Salmon, speaking to us from heaven. It looks a lot like her school playground, with the good kind of swing sets. There are counsellors to help newcomers to adjust, and friends to room with. Everything she wants appears as soon as she thinks of it - except the thing she wants most: to be back with the people she loved on earth.

From heaven, Susie watches. She sees her happy suburban family implode after her death, as each member tries to come to terms with the terrible loss. Over the years, her friends and siblings grow up, fall in love, do all the things she never had the chance to do herself. But life is not quite finished with Susie yet.

The Lovely Bones is a luminous and astonishing novel about life and death, forgiveness and vengeance, memory and forgetting. It is, above all, a novel which finds light in the darkest of places, and shows how even when that light seems to be utterly extinguished, it is still there, waiting to be rekindled.

Journal Entry 2 by CandyDarling at Kampin terminaalin kierrätyshylly in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/17/2012 UTC) at Kampin terminaalin kierrätyshylly in Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland

If you're reading this, you've caught a book! Congratulations, and welcome to BookCrossing. You've come to a friendly place. Hope you enjoy the book, and the free no-spam website. Please make a short note to let me know what you thought of the book, then feel free to keep it or set it free to continue its journey. If you choose to join BookCrossing, you'll be able to see where the book goes on its travels!

Happy Reading!