corner corner Stir-Fry (Copy #2)

Stir-Fry (Copy #2)
by Emma Donoghue | Gay & Lesbian
Registered by gaysocialworker of Chicago, Illinois USA on 7/31/2005

status (set by froggirlwendy): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, July 31, 2005

From bn.com...

Donoghue's wry and tender debut tackles the interconnected themes of coming-out and coming-of-age. Strong-willed, shy and filled with vague feminist sentiments, 17-year-old Maria has left her small town to begin college--and what she hopes will be a thrilling life replete with romance--in contemporary Dublin. Seeking an inexpensive place to live, she responds to a notecard tacked on the bulletin board in the Students' Union and meets her future roommates, Jael and Ruth, two ``Mature Students'' in their 20s, occupants of a shabby but cozy Georgian flat. Though unworldly Maria does not at first grasp that the two are lovers, it doesn't take her long to realize that swaggering Jael and earnest, sweet-natured Ruth are just the sort of friends she has always longed for. As she comes to grips with her new friends' relationship, Maria gradually unearths the truth about her own sexuality. Eschewing dogma and offering no pat answers, this intimate, highly readable tale ends on a hopeful, love-affirming note as Maria makes a choice that is at once surprising, inevitable and very right for her. Described with wicked, hilarious accuracy, campus life (from women's-group meetings to boozy theatrical shindigs) provides a vivid backdrop to Maria's inner searchings

Journal Entry 2 by gaysocialworker from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sent in FLstarfish's LGBT bookbox. There was another copy of the same book in the box that I received-- sort of funny that I was reading my copy at the same time. So I traded copies...

The other copy is going on to garnetfairy in Texas. This copy will go in the box. :)

The other copy:

Journal Entry 3 by FLstarfish from San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, September 15, 2005

I looooove Emma Donoghue. Her stories tend to stick with me, and I think back to them often. I particularly like her novel Hood and her collection of newly interpreted fairy tales, Kissing the Witch. Looking forward to reading this one! Thanks for sending it my way in the GLBT bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by FLstarfish from San Francisco, California USA on Thursday, November 24, 2005

Sigh. Lovely. I zipped through this one, even though I should be studying for exams. As Donoghue's first novel, it's not her best (lots of adverbs!) but the characters are well developed, and I found myself really interested in what was going to happen to them. Also, Donoghue's books are so decidedly Irish, which I love.

Journal Entry 5 by FLstarfish from San Francisco, California USA on Friday, September 08, 2006

Slowly on its way to froggirlwendy, through my International Literacy Day RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 23, 2006

Another wonderful RABCK all the way from FLstarfish in USA. Thankyou - on my TBR list for now. Hugs.

Journal Entry 7 by froggirlwendy at park bench along Sandgate waterfront in Sandgate, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (1/10/2017 UTC) at park bench along Sandgate waterfront in Sandgate, Queensland Australia

book culling time - with a bunch of books released a various locations around Sandgate and Shorncliffe