corner corner The Light Fantastic (A Discworld Novel) - Bookring

The Light Fantastic (A Discworld Novel) - Bookring
by Terry Pratchett | Humor
Registered by Cayenne-UK of Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on 7/28/2005

status (set by Cayenne-UK): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by Cayenne-UK from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 28, 2005

This is one of Terry Pratchett's earliest Discworld books, so the style is a little different to his more recent books. It is none-the-less, an entertaining read. I like the cover illustration - one of the characters called Twoflower is described in the book as "four-eyes", referring to the fact he wears spectacles. The cover artist has drawn him literally with four eyes! :))

I've sent this book out on my first bookring. Participants so far are shown below. This seems the best route at the moment. If any of you would like to be moved up or down, please PM me.

Molyneux (UK)
Elsita (Portugal)
TanyaReed (Canada)
esperanza03 (USA)
loom91 (India)
!-This book has come home!

Journal Entry 2 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 18, 2005

This was passed to me last night at the Winchester meet to start the ring - thank you Cayenne-UK, it was good to meet you!

I have read no other Terry Pratchett Discworld books so I'm very curious about them - will be reading this one very soon!

Journal Entry 3 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 27, 2005

The first Pratchett novel I have tried...but I couldn't get on with it at all. Maybe I should have read The Colour Of Magicfirst, since this appears to be it's sequel.

I adore Jasper Fforde, so had expected to like this - but it is different, a magical world rather than one of fantasy and literature.

I know I'm in the minority here - maybe I was in the 'wrong' mood when I read this, so will have a go at The Colour of Magic sometime!

Sending on to Simmer on Tuesday

Journal Entry 4 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 08, 2006

This was a weird one for me. I've read some of the Discworld novels from the witches series and loved them, and even another one which centred around Rincewind and loved them all. This lacked a certain something for me - maybe because it's officially classed as a sequel to The Colour of Magic while the others all seem more independent. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it but I think I'll be looking for some of the later ones in future!

PMed elhamisabel for address.

Journal Entry 5 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, February 10, 2006

In the mail to elhamisabel.

Journal Entry 6 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

This book arrived today. I'm reading another ring at the moment but I'm going to start this right afterwards.

Let's see what the second Discworld novel all about. I didn't enjoy the first one as much as I did the third one so maybe the second is somewhere inbetween.

Journal Entry 7 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Saturday, February 18, 2006

Finished today.
Well, it is a true sequal to "The Colour of Magic". After reading the latter I felt it wasn't finished properly and now I know I was right. ;-)
No, "The Light Fantastic" isn't the best Discworld novel. I'm glad Terry Pratchett used it potential better in most of his later novels. But still, it wasn't bad.

I'll ask tearsong for mailing details right away.

EDIT on 27th March: I've tried to contact Tearsong to no avail.
I've asked ClonedAgain but still no answer to my pm. I'll try once more.

Journal Entry 8 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Monday, April 24, 2006

I wasn't able to contact ClonedAgain either and tried Elsita next. Apparently the pm system messed up once more. She only recieved one of my pms and I didn't recieve her answer with the address. I tried again today and she send me her address. I'll put this book in the mail today. :-)

Journal Entry 9 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Saturday, May 13, 2006

It's with me, now!
Thanks, elhamisabel!!

Journal Entry 10 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, June 12, 2006

Funny but didn't interested me much...
Going to next in the line!
Thanks for sharing, Cayenne-UK.

Journal Entry 11 by TanyaReed from Little River Harbour, Nova Scotia Canada on Saturday, July 29, 2006

This book was fun...It aslo had one of the funniest lines ever in it. I won't tell you what, though, so you'll be surprised. :)

Journal Entry 12 by esperanza03 from Murfreesboro, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I received the book over the weekend. I've heard a lot of good things about the Discworld novels, so I am excited about reading this one.

Journal Entry 13 by esperanza03 from Murfreesboro, Tennessee USA on Sunday, November 19, 2006

It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did I really liked it. The book is on its way to loom91 now.

Journal Entry 14 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Received the book today along with Shade's Children by Garth Nix. A brilliant time for the book to arrive, as I finished a set of exams yesterday. I'll be starting on it right away (in fact have already done so). While reading the first few pages, I discovered to my dismay that I had forgotten The Colour of Magic. I'm now trying to find a detailed synopsis.

Journal Entry 15 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Thursday, November 30, 2006

Funnier than The Colour of Magic! A good read. I still find Adams to be better by far than Pratchett, but apparently the first two Rincewinds are not Pratchett's best. I'll be looking forward to his other works.

Thanks to everyone in the ring for sharing and passing on. PMing Caynne-UK for address.

Journal Entry 16 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Monday, December 11, 2006

Sent to Caynne-UK by surface mail last friday.

Journal Entry 17 by Cayenne-UK from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This was the first book I sent out as a bookring. Perhaps it is not the best choice out of the whole Discworld series as it is IMHO not anywhere near as good as the more recent works. But it is the first, so in a way it is appropriate. Anyway, today it arrived home from India after a two year journey. It was wrapped in brown(ish) paper, and tied up with string. It's a good job the string was there, because the packaging was ripped to shreds. It was only the string which was keeping the books and the wrapping paper (and the address) together.

As the first bookring, I put a lot of effort into sending it out. I included with it, a small notebook to act as a sort of visitors book. I wrote a few pages about myself, and invited each reader to do likewise. I quite expected this to get lost on its travels, but to my delight and mild surprise, it too arrived home intact and completed. It has some lovely entries and makes this book very special for me now. I wonder if I can ever bear to part with it again. Perhaps I should sent it out an another ring?

Thanks Loom91 for sending it back - and having the forsight to tie it up with string!