corner corner Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values
by Robert M. Pirsig | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAntof9wing of Lakewood, Colorado USA on 7/17/2005

status (set by Antof9): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, July 17, 2005

The first time I heard of this book was when I was flipping channels and saw a character on "Will & Grace" talking about it. Since then I've heard lots of people talk about it, and couldn't believe my good fortune when I came across a copy for fifty cents at a thrift store :)

Journal Entry 2 by wingAntof9wing at Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, March 13, 2014

The stuff about Quality and not giving grades was fascinating. I'd have liked to have read more about Aristotle, too. It felt like he alluded to it and anyone who knows philosophy would "get" it, but the rest of us were in the dark -- for the most part -- about the supposed climax of the book.

All the Phaedrus stuff? So. Very. Weird. Reminded me oddly of "Coyote Blue."

Also a surprising amount of typos, given that this was a 25th anniversary edition. In this edition, the author notes 1 of the things he'd have changed was the meaning of the name Phaedrus; I'm forced to ask why there wasn't a simple fact checker or editor checking that singular thing.

I was also sadly disturbed by his relationship with his son. Certainly this tainted whatever "score" I'm going to give this book.

In the end, it was interesting -- partially -- but I truly only finished it because it was the only book on the plane (to and from NYC).

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing at airline personnel, A Potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Released 3 yrs ago (3/12/2014 UTC) at airline personnel, A Potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

If you are new to BookCrossing and find this book and this site; welcome! Enjoy the site, the book and hopefully the BookCrossing community. I hope you'll join BookCrossing (doesn't cost anything to join!) and if you do, please consider using any previous reader of this book, or me, Antof9, as the member who referred you. If you are an old hand at BookCrossing, thanks for picking up the book! Either way, I hope you'll journal so all the previous and future readers can track this book's journey. Thanks, and Happy Crossing!