corner corner Swimming Upstream

Swimming Upstream
by Anthony Fingleton | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by bookworm-BNE of Brisbane, Queensland Australia on 7/16/2005

status (set by rarsberry): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 16, 2005

The true story of Tony Fingleton's figh to become a champion.
Set in Brisbane in the fifties.
Made into a movie starring Geoffrey Rush and Judy Davis.
Released to fellow bookcrosser at Brisbane meetup.

Journal Entry 2 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 17, 2005

I love books that are set in brisbane, will read this soon, I haven't seen the movie I won tickets to see it but couldn't get there. Picked up today at meetup at Stones Corner. Thanks

Journal Entry 3 by wombles at Bookcrossing Convention 2006 in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Sunday, February 12, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (2/17/2006 UTC) at Bookcrossing Convention 2006 in Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

at dinner trivia night

Journal Entry 4 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, February 20, 2006

I got to the book dip table and thought about it.
Saw this wrapped in a box, lovely silver paper and bow, so I had to have it, even just for the box!!
Will read the book sometime, maybe see if I can find the movie to see after.

Journal Entry 5 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I started this book this afternoon. (Thursday 6 April)

Journal Entry 6 by rarsberry from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, April 06, 2006

I finished this book last night.
It was a very quick read.
Very interesting to find out about Tony's life, he had such a hard life growing up, with such an abusive father.
Luckily he had siblings and a great mother.
He was determined enough to achieve his goals without help from his father.
It was sad to see that many of the kids were looking to their father for praise and hardly ever got it.
I would love to see the movie of it, now that I have read the book.

I will take this to our next Meetup.