corner corner The Greek for Love

The Greek for Love
by James Chatto | Travel
Registered by pepita-di-Corfu of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on 9/15/2006

status (set by gillykins): available

Journal Entry 1 by pepita-di-Corfu from Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki Greece on Friday, September 15, 2006

Taken from the back cover:
"The two-line ad in the Sunday Times for Villa Parginos in Corfu conjured an image of long afternoons drinking wine on a marble patio shaded by a grape arbour, looking out over an impossibly blue Greek sea.
Instead James Chatto and his wife Wendy got a deteriorating bungalow in need of conversion, a buzzing fluorescent light and a patio separated from the village's main street by a wire fence.
Yet Corfu delivered so much more than their wildest fantasy had suggested. There was the intoxicating warmth of the sun, walks along sage-bordered byways and swimming naked off an idyllic beach. There were olive trees that dropped their fruit into nets, as well as fresh apricots, grilled sardines, marinated lamb and long evenings of storytelling at the local taverna. The couple arrived as young tourists - new to each other and in love - and were captivated by the way the islandersembraced them. It was their deep connection to Corfu and its people that later sustained them through the darkest tragedy, just as it had carried them into the most wonderful love."

Journal Entry 2 by pepita-di-Corfu at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 04, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (11/5/2007 UTC) at international BCing in by post, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

the book is heading off to wornoutcowboy in far away Laos (or else Lao People's Democratic Republic), after he accepted to help me with my lifelong project to send at least one book to every country of the world. I hope you'll enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wornoutcowboy from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Friday, November 16, 2007

Well, I can't believe it! A book all the way from Greece and it arrived in record time yet. Also included was a great post card and a book mark. Never mind the great stamps on the package.
Thanks for thinking of me. I will start it shortly. The book that is.
Oh, the security guard in my apartment building has his eyes on the stamps from Greece. I don't think he has ever seen one before. I even had to learn how to say Greece in Lao to explain where they came from.. If you are interested it is called "Greece". Ha! Should I be nice and give them to him. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 4 by wornoutcowboy from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Well, what a great book this one turned out to be. At first I thought I was starting a ChickLit book and it quickly turned into something else. It was interesting watching the life of the writer and his wife change as they navigated their lives in a new country.

I just passed tthe book on to fellow bookcrosser MAC2007 who presently is sitting next to me in this internet cafe. Let's see where it ends up.

Journal Entry 5 by mac2007 from dumaguete, Negros Oriental Philippines on Monday, November 26, 2007

A very tirering reading until chapter 9. Than you are just happy that you nearly finished the whole book. Enjoy the 2 last chapters of the story...

Journal Entry 6 by mac2007 at internet cafe across from asian pavillion hotel in Vientiane, Vientiane Prefecture Laos on Monday, November 26, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (11/26/2007 UTC) at internet cafe across from asian pavillion hotel in Vientiane, Vientiane Prefecture Laos

Journal Entry 7 by wornoutcowboy from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Saturday, July 05, 2008

Dear Pepita,
Just to give you an update on one of your books. I was over at the used book shop today and yours was sitting on the shelf. Damn, I guess it was sold. The problem with wild releases in this part of the world. It appears to be rather happy on its shelf so I guess it could have had a worse fate. Never mind the US$6 dollar price tag on it. Hope you are well.

Journal Entry 8 by emily888 from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 06, 2008

The Greek For Love...has arrived in Sydney, Australia. (It also had a nice journey through Laos and Thailand).
The book was abit slow to start however once i got into it i really enjoyed it. The author writes in a way that you can really imagine what everything he describes looks like, i felt like i was in Corfu! I too fell in love with the village, the island of Corfu and their gorgeous little house. It really made me feel like packing up and doing the same thing! (as most travel books do!). I was not expecting the ending though (Nibby), what a terrible thing to happen in a time of such bliss. I have been to Corfu, however, i wasnt there long enough to do much exploring.
I found the book in a recycled book exchange in Laos, took one look at the cover and bought it for about $6 without noticing the bookcrossing sticker until i got back to my guesthouse. What a great idea!
I really want to keep this book on my bookshelf but will promise to release it after my Mum has read it!

Journal Entry 9 by gillykins from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 14, 2008

I really loved this book and the Chatto family.Having made a new start in a new country. My daughter found the book in Laos and brought it to Australia for me to read.