corner corner The State of Poetry (Pocket Penguins)

The State of Poetry (Pocket Penguins)
by roger mcgough | Poetry
Registered by STP-921375 on 7/15/2005

status (set by Safrolistics): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by STP-921375 on Friday, July 15, 2005

Poetry is not really my thing, but this was quite funny.

Children's Writer

Mummy in the kitchen
Washing and wiping

Daddy in the study
Stereotyping.

"In May 2005 Penguin will publish 70 unique titles to celebrate the company's 70th birthday. The titles in the Pocket Penguins series are emblematic of the renowned breadth of quality of the Penguin list and will hark back to Penguin founder Allen Lane's vision of good books for all'. Roger McGough made his name in The Mersey Sound: Penguin Modern Poets 10, published in 1967 and a bestseller ever since. Over the years, McGough has continued to delight readers with his short, playful and comic verses, and in The State of Poetry he displays the range and the wit that continues to make him one of the leading lights of British poetry. "

Journal Entry 2 by STP-921375 at mail release in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 03, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (10/4/2005 UTC) at mail release in RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Pookledo for her OBCZ.

Journal Entry 3 by Pookledo from Loughborough, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, October 17, 2005

What a great book! It was meant to go to the OBCZ but it was just too tempting, especially as it was so thin. It was begging to be read. I could hear it's little voice telling me to read it. So I did.

kaapiovuohi (who never seems to get round to journalling books he has read) loved reading it to.

Now's it's off on a travel to someone else who will appreciate it. Hope you don't mind the change of plan Pennywhistler.

Journal Entry 4 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, October 20, 2005

Thank you! This looks like something i can just dip into every so often, and i will :o)

Journal Entry 5 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, November 10, 2007

Just discovered this in storage, where its been languishing for far too long..... Will add it to mount toobie and get to it asap :o)

Journal Entry 6 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Saturday, November 24, 2007

Really enjoyed this one, quite funny in places :o)

My favourites? "Whoops" (def one i sniggered at!) and.....

"Away From You"

Away from you
I feel a great emptiness
a gnawing loneliness

With you
I get that reassuring feeling
of wanting to escape.

Will make sure this one gets passed on asap :o)

Journal Entry 7 by Safrolistics from Newbiggin-By-The-Sea, Northumberland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 22, 2007

Thankyou, received this today, along with a couple more books, the most fantastic Xmas card EVER! and a humungus box of chocolate liquers....mmmmmm, my VERY favourite type of choccy!

March 02 2008
Totally forgot to journal that I had read this book! Silly me.

I really enjoyed this book, and shall be sharing a couple of the poems with the Thursday night poetry group in Liquid, coventry.

Journal Entry 8 by Safrolistics at Liquid, Coventry City Arcade in Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, March 02, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/2/2008 UTC) at Liquid, Coventry City Arcade in Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Going to be released on Thursday, at the Poetry Group