corner corner Lucia Lucia : A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

Lucia Lucia : A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
by Adriana Trigiani | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Villette of Victoria, British Columbia Canada on 7/14/2005

status (set by dirtmother): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Villette from Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 14, 2005

This is going to be read on a flight from YVR to LHR and subsequently bookcrossed to a fellow member.

Journal Entry 2 by Villette from Victoria, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 28, 2005

I enjoyed this story of an Italian family which focuses on a dutiful daughter who would rather have a career than marry a man she does not find exciting.
Now beign sent by post to Dirtmother

Journal Entry 3 by dirtmother from Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 07, 2005

A book I was wanting to read

Journal Entry 4 by dirtmother from Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 25, 2005

Received from Villette, this book will now travel to Ireland as she was not able to do as planned, and I will read and release there.

Journal Entry 5 by dirtmother from Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 05, 2005

I'm not recording this book as released in the wild as The Old Stone Barn isn't exactly a public place, but a really wonderful place we rented for a holiday.

It was interesting to read this book whilst on a family holiday with my sister and her family and my brother as well as my own immediate family given the subject matter of families and the choices women of previous generations had to make about careers, relationships and children. I read the book mostly sitting in the hot tub looking out over glorious views of the West Cork countryside (since the book is set in New York City, quite a contrast)

I've read two other Trigliani's and I find her a clever writer. I'm not greatly interested in fashion but her descriptions of Lucia's work in the couture department drew me in and she knows how to get the saliva flowing with her descriptions of food, including recipes. Never a difficult read but not a book you read simply to pass the time pleasantly. Just a whiff of a slightly too conveniently happy ending, but only a whiff.

The Old Stone Barn was supplied with a small collection of books which I had either read or would have liked to read. Lucia, Lucia joins them on their windowsill looking out over a splendid view and I hope others who are privileged to stay here take her on more travels. Given the story and that it was given to me by someone who hoped to come to Ireland but was prevented by circumstance, it would be only fitting.

www.theoldstonebarn.com is the place.