corner corner Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate

Not on the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate
by Felicity Lawrence | Nonfiction
Registered by Normy of Morecambe, Lancashire United Kingdom on 7/15/2005

status (set by angellica): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Normy from Morecambe, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, July 15, 2005

Subtitled 'What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate'. This book was interesting, enlightening, and thought-provoking. If I wasn't already vegetarian I'd have gone right off chicken though. The chapter titles are:
*Chicken
*Salad
*Beans
*Bread
*Apples & Bananas
*Coffee & Prawns
*The Ready Meal

It goes into the labour issues as well as the food issues.

My only complaints were that the Bean chapter didn't have a lot to do with beans, and that it seemed a bit samey after a while, though that could be easily remedied by reading chapters between other books. This is the sort of book you end up talking about. Highly recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by Normy from Morecambe, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 04, 2005

BOOKRAY

Being released as a Bookray - I'll try to get it posted off by the weekend:

The usual Bookray rules apply. Please try to pass it to the next person within a month. If you need to change your position or leave the bookray, just PM me and let me know. Make a JOURNAL ENTRY when you receive the book to say you've got it, and make another JOURNAL ENTRY when you finish it and send it on. You are responsible for getting the address of the next person on the list. Please give them a reasonable amount of time to reply with their address but if you have to wait more than a week, contact the next person. ALWAYS check with the next person on the list before you post the book, even if you think you already have their address - they may have moved, or may want to drop out of the ray. Last one in the ray gets to choose what to do with the book next!

Here is the current reading order:
*detailista (UK)
*spacecadetlv426
*abrokenstarr (UK)
*angellica (UK)
*callmjj (US)

Journal Entry 3 by Normy from Morecambe, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, August 08, 2005

Posted to detailista today.

Journal Entry 4 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thankyou so very much for my first book-ring book, shall read and forward quickly :) provided I don't starve in the meantime..the chapters seem to cover all my favourite foods!

Journal Entry 5 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, September 02, 2005

Wow! What a read!

My eating and buying habits have been changed even further. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years but shall aim for organic and local as much as possible.

This was much easier reading than I anticipated, I loved the very evocative accounts of people and places - added weight to the accademic arguements and made it less repetative.

Reading this has prompted me to make other changes I'd procrastinated about.

Thanks for the read Normy :) I loved my first bookring. Shall post to wilksie today.

Journal Entry 6 by wilksie from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 03, 2005

This was waiting for me when I arrived home this morning. Thank you detailista - and a big thank you for the choccie too, it quite cheered me up after a tough morning :-)
The book certainly looks interesting and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wilksie from Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 22, 2005

An interesting book. Yes, I've gone right off chicken too!
Thought the writing was a bit dull though, it took me a long time to read, in between fiction books, sorry.

On to parsleyraisin.

Journal Entry 8 by parsleyraisin from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Received safely, thank you - and thanks for the chocolate!

Journal Entry 9 by parsleyraisin from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, November 20, 2005

On it's way to Jenatleisure asap.

Journal Entry 10 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, February 17, 2006

Just had this in the post from Jenatleisure (thanks for the chocolates!). I have one book ahead of in the ring TBR pile, so I'll get on to it soon.

Journal Entry 11 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 28, 2006

After reading Eric Schlosser's 'Fast Food Nation' (very highly recommmended) five or six years ago, I gave up eating burgers which turned out to be the first step in becoming a vegetarian a year or so later.

I found Not On The Label to be a book in similar vein to Fast Food Nation. It's confirmed some of my suspicions, drawn to my attention to some things that I wasn't previously aware of and shown me how I'm involved with them and how the choices I make can, even to a small extent, influence things for better or worse.

I don't suppose that I am going to just give up shopping in supermarkets, but I going to be thinking carefully about how and what I eat and how I can make changes to those to eat more healthily while reinforcing what I see as positive outcomes for both myself and society.

I'll be posting the book on to Fire-Dragon in the next day or two. Meanwhile I've ordered my own copy for re-reading. Thanks to Normy for sending this out.

Journal Entry 12 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 04, 2006

This arrived in yesterday's post. Thank you UrbanSpaceman and thank you Normy for organising the ray. I have recently read Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation, which I highly recommend, and look forward to reading something more specifically focused on the UK. I will try to read this as quickly as I can but I have a few books on my plate at the moment and a couple of bookrings have converged at once so it might take slightly longer than usual. I hope that's not a problem.

Journal Entry 13 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 15, 2006

I have finished the book and will be contacting lady-mondegreen to get it moving straight after Easter. I do recommend it - it's interesting, informative and thought provoking. However, it is sometimes a bit pedestrian in style - it's certainly not as good as Fast Food Nation.

The first couple of chapters - on chicken and then on salad - were really interesting but overall, I knew a lot of the information already. It's good to have that reinforced though.

The really interesting thing to me is that between receiving the book and finishing the book, I was offered the opportunity to visit coffee plantations in Uganda. I have just got back from an amazing week (I will write about it soon on my blog www.caitlininlondon.blogspot.com). I went out to small villages and visited farms but also spent a lot of time with people from a coffee exporting company. Learning about how coffee is grown, exported, traded, roasted and how all the certifications such as organic and fair trade work was absolutely fascinating.

By sheer coincidence I was reading this book on the plane and arrived at the chapter on coffee in Uganda (which I didn't even know was in the book) as the plane landed in Entebbe. I don't think I agree with everything that Lawrence has to say about coffee in Uganda but it certainly added another perspective to what I saw on the ground.

Journal Entry 14 by Fire-Dragon from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 22, 2006

Lady-Mondegreen has asked to be skipped so this is shipping out to Sunflowergirl early next week.

Journal Entry 15 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Thursday, April 27, 2006

This book has just arrived here, thank you.

I've been really good in recent months and only signed up to books that were on my wishlist. So how come 7 books have arrived through my letter box in the last three days?! I'm now drowning in rings and rays! I promise I'll get to this book as soon as I can and I'll journal it again once I've read it.

Journal Entry 16 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Thursday, June 01, 2006

Just journalling to apologise for being slow with this book. :o( I've got exams coming up and am snowed under with revision so reading is on the back burner at the moment. I will read this book soon though. Spacecadetlv426 is next on the list and he is my boyfriend so between us we will read the book and pass it on in the next few weeks. Hope this is ok.

Journal Entry 17 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I am sooooo very sorry, I've just realised that I still have this book here. I feel terrible to have had it so long. I'm going to check with spacecadetlv426 whether he has time to read it and then will pass it on soon.

Journal Entry 18 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Friday, July 14, 2006

I PM'd abrokenstarr yesterday for their address. Once I have it I'll send the book on.

Sorry for inconveniencing people by holding this book up, I've been very ill and due to this I've been slow to get through books. I hope people will understand.

Journal Entry 19 by sunflowergirl from Carlisle, Cumbria United Kingdom on Saturday, July 22, 2006

I got an address for abrokenstarr yesterday and have posted the book to her today by 2nd class post so it should get there soon.

Journal Entry 20 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I was convinced I had posted to say that I had this, but obviously not, my sincerest apologies.

It is next up on my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 21 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A quick read - started Monday night, finished this evening.

Can't sleep so thought I would journal. BF wants to read quickly (it will take him a couple of days) and then I will post on to Angellica - already have her address which helps.

An interesting combination with Fast Food Nation which I read last week. Singing from the same hymn sheet, but focusing on different elements. Very anti-supermarket.

I'm already on a vegetable box scheme, which makes me feel a little smug, but now I am determined to never have salad bags again.

Journal Entry 22 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 18, 2006

Posted second class to Angellica today.

Journal Entry 23 by angellica from Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 24, 2006

Arrived safely :)

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 24 by angellica from Worksop, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I've been dipping in and out of these between books and when I could stomach it.

Very thought provoking.

Will contact callmjj and get this moving again soon.

Journal Entry 25 by angellica at Cafe in the Woods OBCZ in Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 26, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (1/26/2008 UTC) at Cafe in the Woods OBCZ in Wendover Woods, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom