corner corner Cloud of Sparrows

Cloud of Sparrows
by Takashi Matsuoka | Literature & Fiction
Registered by scotsbookie of Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on 7/11/2005

status (set by katayoun): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, July 11, 2005

This & Autumn Bridge go together.

From the back of the book:
Into a realm of samuri & geishas, ninjas & zen masters comes a man & a woman from the west.

And the destiny of a nation that has been closed to the outside world for 250 yrs will change forever.

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 2 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Plan to spiral this with Autumn Bridge when it comes back from MissyZ.

Journal Entry 3 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 01, 2007

Offering this as spiral along with Autumn Bridge

Rules:

Please:
1. Journal entry on receiving book
2. Journal entry when read book
3. PM next person on list for address
4. Try to read within a month, let me know if your going to be longer.
5. But most of all ENJOY!

marie-therese UK (ship anywhere)
Heaven-ali UK (ship anywhere)
quak GER (ships Europe)
soffitta1 UK/CZECK REP (ships anywhere)
KateKintail US (prefers US can do Intl if needed)<---- it's here
lauraloo29 CAN (prefer to ship anywhere BUT canada)
katayoun IRAN (ship anywhere)

.... & back to me.

Journal Entry 4 by scotsbookie at post office in Mailed to first BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, November 09, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (11/10/2007 UTC) at post office in Mailed to first BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Journal Entry 5 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Arrived safely today, thanks for sharing scotsbookie :o) In the middle of another ring book at the moment but this will be next, looking forward to it.

Journal Entry 6 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, November 25, 2007

Wow this really is quite a book! A love story intermingled with bloody violence, death and destruction. I truly felt transported to Japan and the world of ninjas, samurais, warlords and geishas. There was a lot of graphic detail of battle scenes and all I can say is I am so glad not to have lived at that place and time, neither my nerves nor my stomach could've coped! Thanks to scotsbookie for introducing me to this book, I'm now looking forward to reading the sequel, although unfortunately have another 3 rings to get through first.

Well now PM Heaven-ali for her address.

Journal Entry 7 by marie-therese at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, November 30, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (11/30/2007 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Eventually got around to posting this today. Sorry for the delay I've been chasing my tail all week!

Journal Entry 8 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Arrived yesterday - will read after my current read which is another bookring book.

Journal Entry 9 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 10, 2007

Well in many ways this is not my kind of book - and had I just seen the cover and nothing else I would have sworn I'd hate it - but I didn't, I really rather enjoyed it. Some of the fighty bits - got a bit much, and the violence was horrendous really. However I was fascinated by the story of Emily Gibson and Mathew Stark, although their back stories were pretty awful too. I learned a lot about Japanese culture of this time, which was brutal in the extreme. I am sure I will enjoy the next book as well although I can't see me reading many other books set in the world of the Samuri.

will send on soon - thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 10 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2007

quak has asked that I don't send the book untill the New Year as she is away. So it will be moving again in about three weeks : )

Journal Entry 11 by Heaven-Ali at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 04, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (1/4/2008 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

finally on its way today.

Journal Entry 12 by quak from München, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Arrived today. Thanks for sending it, Heaven-Ali. I'm looking forward to reading the book, but it will have to wait for a while.

Update 12.02.2008: I loved the book and I'm looking forward to read its successor.
It was a bit hard to get into the story in the beginning as there were a lot of characters being introduced. Besides I was not used to the way of storytelling (also with a lot of jumps in time and space). But soon I enjoyed that storytelling and appreciated it a lot.
I do have a spleen with samurai culture, so I liked the insights I got in the book. It was also very interesting to read about this time when Japan had to open itself to the western world. The differences that back then existed between japanese and western world outlook. I have been in Japan for half a year and so it is also exciting to compare japanese way of life back at that time with what it is today.
I liked the characters in the story very much - even if I could not understand all of their motivations (especially with the japanese characters that is sometimes quite difficult).
Thanks for sharing this wonderful novel!

I already asked for the next address and hope to post the book within this week.

Journal Entry 13 by wingsoffitta1wing from Dovercourt, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 08, 2008

This arrived today from Germany, vielen Dank!

Like Heaven-Ali, I probably would have passed on this book if I had seen it in a bookshop, but have really enjoyed it. The characters were well written and provided interesting contrasts / conflicts. I look forward to the next book.

Posted 28 March.

Journal Entry 14 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 05, 2008

Got this in the mail today! Thanks so much! I've been wanting to read this ever since I listed to Autumn Bridge on audio. I'll start it right away!

Journal Entry 15 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

It's absurd how long it took me to finish this book. Excuses abound, but I am incredibly sorry regardless.

I listened to the second book first on abridged audio, so it was fascinating to read the first book and get to know these characters properly from the start. But I've got to say, there were times I probably would have been confused if I hadn't read the second book already (since the second book jumps through time and explains so very much more).

Some of the battles dragged for me, and I don't know why. I guess I'd just read so many similar types of scenes. My favorite scene was easily Emily and Genji out in the snow (I'm such a sucker for hurt/comfort). But it was great to see so much background of Stark's and Emily's (especially Emily) and watch relationships develop among the different characters. I really enjoyed getting to know Hide, too.

There are so many small, beautiful moments throughout. And there are some terrible and exciting ones as well. I love the author's style of jumping around in points of views to follow different characters, but it was confusing a few times (maybe because it took me a while to read and get into it each time though). I love so many of the word choices that really paint pictures quite beautifully. I really felt like I was right there in the book with them, absorbed in their drama and their culture. Just gorgeous. But I think I still prefer the second book (which I'm going to read quite quickly since I've heard most of it on audiobook already).

I already asked for lauraloo29's address, so I plan to send this right off this week.

Journal Entry 16 by wingKateKintailwing at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Monday, November 10, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (11/11/2008 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Sending off to lauraloo29 in Canada to continue the bookring.

Journal Entry 17 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, November 20, 2008

Arrived safe and sound today. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with bookrings, but I'll muddle through them. :) Thank you!

Journal Entry 18 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 22, 2008

I've been struggling with this book. I was sure that as soon as I had some quiet time I would be able to get into it.

Today, I sat on a freezing bus for over an hour on a freeway parking lot (bad accident). I did not read, instead I played solitaire on my cell phone...... I'll be sending both books on their way to katayoun after Christmas.

Thank you for the opportunity to read these books. Always a little sad when I can't get into one. :(

Journal Entry 19 by wingkatayounwing from Tehran, Tehran Iran on Saturday, May 02, 2009

thanks lauraloo29 and scotsbookie, the books are here, got here last week. have got one book on hand and then i am going to start with these/