corner corner The Shipping News : A Novel

The Shipping News : A Novel
by Annie Proulx | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Earthdance of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 7/11/2005

status (set by kryan): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Earthdance from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, July 11, 2005

Will have read by tommorrow, for sure.

Am going to see if anyone is interested in this as a bookray...

1. cowgirl-up
2. Wyldewomin
3. Gooberguts
4. bookmaniac70
5. kryan

Bookray completed!

Journal Entry 2 by Earthdance at on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/21/2005 UTC) at

Journal Entry 3 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Friday, September 30, 2005

Received in the mail today. Looks like a great read! I have a couple of rings in front of this one, but I'll get to it quickly and pass it along. Thanks for starting this ring Earthdance!

Journal Entry 4 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Friday, October 21, 2005

Wow! I really had no expectations when I started reading this book because I knew so little about the author and the plot. However, I was excited about what I found within the pages. The characters were likeable although I can't say I ever felt strongly about them emotionally. I absolutely loved the descriptions of Newfoundland. I could picture the places in my mind although I know little about the actual place.

I also really enjoyed the entanglement of different plots into a "knot." The author didn't really jump plots with each chapter, but rather had several different things going at the same time. Each plot was unique, but was also linked with the other characters and happenings.

I would recommend this one to other readers. I'm hoping to see the movie, but I'm sort of afraid I'll be disappointed after enjoying the book so well. Definetly an author I'll seek out in the future.

PMing wyldewomin to get an address.

Journal Entry 5 by cowgirl-up from Springfield, Ohio USA on Friday, October 28, 2005

Mailed today to wyldewomin. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Friday, November 25, 2005

got it! will try to get it out by the end of the week

Journal Entry 7 by wyldewomin from East Bridgewater, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Pretty good. Will put in a longer entry later. Sending on its way monday

Journal Entry 8 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Thursday, March 16, 2006

Received this book in the mail today. Will start it tomorrow at work!!

Journal Entry 9 by Gooberguts from Saint John, New Brunswick Canada on Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I finally finished reading this book on Monday at work. Sorry that it took me sooo long. Found it interesting, though at times a little confusing. Mailed it today to bookmanian70 today. Hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 10 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Arrived today-wow, what a fast shipping! Thank you,Gooberguts,for giving yourself the trouble of airmail, the speed was really impressing!:-))
I am reading for another bookring right now and shall try to start this one ASAP.

Journal Entry 11 by bookmaniac70 from София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, May 22, 2006

Ashamed,I confess that I`m going to give up this book. I tried to get into it and read the half of it but I don`t think I`m going to finish it.The characters and the plot didn`t interest me,I had also problem with the style of writing.Sorry for being so negative; I know many bookcrossers like the novel very much so probably it`s just me...
I shall PM the next participant but will ship the book at the end of the month because of tight finances.

Journal Entry 12 by bookmaniac70 at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 10, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (6/9/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

SENT TO KRYAN.

Journal Entry 13 by kryan from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The book arrived Monday. I started reading it Monday evening and completed it Tuesday evening. Shortly, I will be making arrangements to mail it onward.

While reading the book, I was constantly comparing with (a) the movie I saw a few years ago and (b) my own experiences of growing up in Newfoundland. Both are a little blurry with time. :-)

As often happens, the movie told a slightly different story (with slightly different characters) than the book. Still, having seen the movie, it probably helped me push through any slow points in the book and feel more attached to the characters.

It also helped that I didn't need a specialized dictionary to translate dialect. The patterns of speech and most of the words were familiar enough to me. It was also easy for me to visualize the settings.

One thing I noticed was that, while heavy with superstition, the book was light on religion. There was almost no mention of religion, which seemed unnatural. Also, the "pirate" history doesn't ring true to me - partly because I know the real story behind the houses moved off the smaller islands.

However, what does sound familiar:
* people having a second home (a "summer camp") further away from the town
* the seasonal activities of fishing, hunting, wood cutting, berry picking, knitting
* the regular occurrences of drownings and other misfortunes

There were also times when I wondered if the author understood the significance of her choices. For example, there is a scene when buttered toast and jam is provided to houseguests. The fact that the jam was made from bakeapples struck me. Bakeapples are the most prized berries, making what might otherwise seem a humble meal much more hospitable.

Journal Entry 14 by kryan at -- Controlled Release in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 01, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/1/2006 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Sorry. I forgot to do the release notes for this back at the end of June. This book was released to my sister. I'll remind her to journal it soon.