corner corner Astonishing Splashes Of Colour :

Astonishing Splashes Of Colour :
by Clare Morrall | Literature & Fiction
Registered by detailista of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on 7/9/2005

status (set by lostbookisland): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, July 09, 2005

The book is is about a woman with synaesthesia - a condition in
which emotions are seen as colours. This was shortlisted for The
Man Booker Prize in 2005. It's set in Birmingham. I think it may
appeal to anyone who enjoyed The Curious Incident of The Dog in The
Nightime. The blurb says

'Kitty Wellington, the narrator ...has been brought up in a large
family by her painter father. Surrounded by older brothers, she has
no real recollection of either her mother, who was killed in a car
crash, or her sister who ran away from home'

'Fresh, frightening and raw. There's nothing in the least depressing
about this nevertheless sad story, certainly nothing remotely
sentimental'

It has echoes of JM Barrie and has a particular emphasis on missing
mothers and "lost boys"

Journal Entry 2 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 06, 2005

This book is being offered on a ring. Please mail me if you'd like to join in.

Current running order-

Cloggy - read
Catrionamoore - read

Lost in the post sometime at the end of 2005. I've replaced it, new journal entries continue here

LaFontaine
flannerstheflan
teachie
cats-eye

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Got it! Arrived back from holiday to find the book on my desk. Can't wait to read it.

CAUGHT IN LONDON UK

Journal Entry 4 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I first heard about this book back in 2003 when it was short-listed for the Booker prize. It was in and out of my hands quite a few times, whenever I was browsing through the 3 for 2 at Waterstone's, but it never quite tempted me enough to buy it. Not sure why that was. Domething about the cover and not knowing what the book was actually about, meant that I kept putting it back on the pile.

Then Detailista offered it on a ring and I thought: I really ought to read it. However, when it turned up, its cover turned me off again and I put the book slightly to the side of my desk, as I read another Bookring book first. When I finished that, Astonishing Splashes of Colour looked at me accusingly. I had to read it and send it on to the next person. So I put it in my bag to take it home.

Waiting for the Waterloo & City line, I took it out of my bag to pass the time. I read the first page and liked it, read the next few pages as the train turned up, read another few more...... and was completely wrong-footed by the author. My first impressions of the main character turned out to be wrong and a tentalising glimpse of what this book was about showed its little head from between the words. I was hooked.

By the time I was on the train back the next day, I'd read half the book. And felt guilty that I had skipped over this wonderful book for so long. And that I didn't buy it in the first place. Even though the book lost a little of its magic towards the last third, I'll make a promise to Clare Morrall: I'll buy your next novel as soon as you've written it.

Journal Entry 5 by cloggy from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 29, 2005

It is in the post to Catrionamoore

Journal Entry 6 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2005

Arrived safely today along with a smelly present, which unusually smells nice on me! I shall have to hide my present from my "foo-foo" obssessed daughter.

The book has gone straight in at #3 on Mt Tbr and I hope to get to it fairly soon after A Long Way Down by Nick Horby and The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Euginides.

Journal Entry 7 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, November 04, 2005

First of all, my sincere apologies for holding on to this book for so long. I had read it and requested LaFontaine’s address, then my husband decided to decorate our dining room and all my books became muddled up in a few huge piles under dust sheets and there they have sat until we got ourselves straight again.

This is an absolutely brilliant book. I’m really glad that I signed up to the bookring for this one. The characters were so refreshingly normal because of their differences. Adele Parks could really learn a thing or two from this promising new author. Not every character has to be a vacuously perfect, rich thirty-something to make a book readable. The idea of the obsessively compulsive husband living in the flat next door to his untidy wife really tickled me. It seems like a very sensible set up, can’t live with each other, and can’t live with out either.

Families are dysfunctional. There are secrets, hidden in the depths of time. There is grief and joy, sadness and love. This book has all of these elements, and so many more. Clare Morrall is definitely on my wish list!

Journal Entry 8 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, January 02, 2006

I've just noticed that I am still the last person to have journalled this book.

I did send it on to LaFontaine. I shall have a search through my old Post Office receipts for the proof of postage just in case it has gone AWOL.

Journal Entry 9 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, January 27, 2006

Catrionamoore is going to contact La Fontaine to see if he has the book, if not then I'll replace it asap.

Journal Entry 10 by appletreen from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 28, 2006

I have contacted LaFontaine and it appears that the book has gone AWOL. Perhaps it has gone on holiday with a couple of my missing rings to Lost Book Island!

Journal Entry 11 by detailista from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, February 03, 2006

I've replaced the book and there's a link in the second journal entry to the new BCID if you'd like to follow the progress.

Will post to La Fontaine tomorrow.

Journal Entry 12 by lostbookisland on Sunday, February 12, 2006

Another case of the postal system losing a BookCrossing book is what seems to have happened in this case. With BookCrossers on either end in communication it is wondered just where this book is hiding out. Luckily the slow boat that it was on passed right by the Lost Book Island where it could hop off to join the crowd of other lost books that make up our ranks.

Here the books will get plenty of opportunities to snack at the all-you-can-eat buffet and enjoy cool drinks in the shade of palms or work off excess energy in our fabulous air conditioned fitness center. Of course, this is only one of many activities to enjoy here on the island.

Like all books that have come to the Lost Book Island Resort this book desires a new journal entry that will allow BookCrossers the world over to continue to track its journey. Perhaps one day this book will give up its lost status and get the chance to delight new readers.