corner corner The Night, They Say, Was Made for Love: Plus My Sexual Scrapbook

Journal Entry 1 by countedx58 from San Francisco, California USA on Friday, July 08, 2005

Politically incorrect humor by quadriplegic cartoonist John Callahan.

Journal Entry 2 by countedx58 from San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Passed on to Calif-booklover at this evening's meeting.

Journal Entry 3 by Calif-BookLover from Union City, California USA on Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Some funny bits in this book... a fun, quick read. Book to be released at the September TriValley BookCrossing meeting. Thank you, countedx58!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, August 14, 2005

Enjoyed this book more than other collection of cartoons.

CAUGHT IN UNION CITY CALIFORNIA USA

Journal Entry 5 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Yeah, I'm feeling the same anticipation as when I found a book of Peyton Place while babysitting years ago!

As soon as I saw these John Callahan books, I had a memory the deal was - I'd trade my two for yours! Unfortunately, I offered these up - on a book relay or paperbackswap.com - where they were instantly snapped up!

My apologies if that was the case...

Thanks Calif-Booklover!
I'll plan to take these to our next meet-up - for anyone else who'd like to enjoy them!

Journal Entry 6 by lisaxiii from Pleasanton, California USA on Monday, December 19, 2005

Picked up at last week's meetup. I'll give it a read and pass them along next month.

Journal Entry 7 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I grew up on his cartoons and I'm looking forward to rereading them. Afterwards, I plan to send them off to my friend in Wales who has a similar sense of humor. :)

Reserved for Spike1972

Journal Entry 8 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Couldn't resist waiting. I read it tonight and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 9 by caligula03 at on Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (3/2/2006 UTC) at

RABCKing to Spike1972.

Journal Entry 10 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 22, 2006

Oopsy, apoligies as this arrived a couple of days ago, and MuppetSpike forgot to journal... Thank You ;o)

Journal Entry 11 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, April 23, 2006

I enjoyed reading this. Some of the jokes went way over my head, and others brought a giggle from me. Others I had to think about, and then giggled.

It was nice to see some of the more usually taboo subjects being tackled in a humorous way.

Having said that, because of that same content, I probably won't Wild Release this (for fear of kids find of it), so I'll probably take it to the up-coming Cardiff Meet if nobody wants it before then.

Journal Entry 12 by spike1972 at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (4/29/2006 UTC) at Pen and Wig pub OBCZ in Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Taking to today's Meet-up

Journal Entry 13 by wingMolyneuxwing from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 01, 2006

Caught at the meet-up in Cardiff - will read then release in Rosie O'Grady's Irish pub in Oxford, where I'm sure it will be appreciated! Cheers for bringing this along, Spike - and it was lovely to meet you at last!! :)

Update: I went to the Winchester meet before Rosies in Oxford!

Journal Entry 14 by wingMolyneuxwing at Cart & Horses pub, Kings Worthy in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 04, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (5/4/2006 UTC) at Cart & Horses pub, Kings Worthy in Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom

at the Winchester meet this evening

Journal Entry 15 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, May 05, 2006

Oh i might have known that this one had passed through Spikey's hands lol

Will read it then take it to another meet.....

Journal Entry 16 by AngelChild from Otham, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A quick litttle read...bit corny in places and very funny in others :o)

Journal Entry 17 by AngelChild at Unconvention 2006 in Birmingham, West Midlands -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 15, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/1/2006 UTC) at Unconvention 2006 in Birmingham, West Midlands -- Controlled Releases

This book will be going with me to the BCUK UnConvention. I will leave it on the book table there and if it doesnt go home with someone i will nab it back as its probably not appropriate to wild release.....

Journal Entry 18 by celticstar from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Thursday, August 31, 2006

Wow lots of lovely journal entries for this book.

caffcaff wrapped this up and put it in the 'Never Judge a Book' bookbox with the sentance from the first cartoon "The following program contains language which may be offensive enough to knock a buzzard off a shit-wagon" so I don't know why I chose this book out of the box ;)

Like Spike1972 I had to think about some of the cartoons but overall it's a quick funny read.

Journal Entry 19 by OddballDave from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I am sure that John Callahan has an inside track to the darker parts of my mind!

An excellent collection of totally incorrect cartoons.

To be released while I hunt for more.

Journal Entry 20 by celticstar from Telford, Shropshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I will hold on to this while I think of a good home for it to go to

Journal Entry 21 by celticstar at The Village Hotel in Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, September 15, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (9/16/2006 UTC) at The Village Hotel in Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom

Taking to the meet at the Hotel but if nobody takes it home I'll bring it back with me rather than leave it on the OBCZ shelves.

Journal Entry 22 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 16, 2006

Passed to me today by Tracey, and I started chuckling over it immediately - I expect it'll keep me amused this week alongside my serious read. I will release it again next week at the Birmingham meet.

edit 21/9/06
Some very funny things in this book, and some not so, but still very entertaining.

Journal Entry 23 by Heaven-Ali at Hudsons Coffee shop Colmore Row in Birmingham, Birmingham's OBCZ - Hudsons Coffee Shop -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 22, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (9/23/2006 UTC) at Hudsons Coffee shop Colmore Row in Birmingham, Birmingham's OBCZ - Hudsons Coffee Shop -- Controlled Releases

Will be passed to another Birmingham bookcrosser at the meet up tomorrow.

Journal Entry 24 by wyldetwo from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

Picked this up at this afternoon's meet-up, read it while sipping a glass of white wine and then released it to the person sitting next to me ..... look out for more JEs coming soon everyone!

Journal Entry 25 by birmingham-rose from Burntwood, Staffordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

I read this today at the Birmingham meeting, along with everyone else!! It was very amusing and did appeal to my sense of humour, there were several of the cartoons that I found hilarious and a few others that went over my head. One of the cartoons that sticks in my mind was the "calf implants" ROFL!!!!

Journal Entry 26 by nordie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

passed around at today's meet, got to read the cartoons, some made me laugh, some were just amusing, and some were not funny at all

Journal Entry 27 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

Well, now I know who beat me home from this afternoon's meet! (It took daddyhuggy and I over half an hour to get out of Moat Street car park.)

I too read it in Birmingham & passed it on as part of our attempt at the world's fastest bookring. My favourite was the food heading straight for someone's thighs ...

Little unsure what to set as status, think it went back with HeavenAli & is heading for Cambridge in a fortnight ...

Journal Entry 28 by Karen-H from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 23, 2006

I think the calf implants were my favourite too. Read at today's meetup and passed on to the next table.

Journal Entry 29 by AlmarnaTiaam from Innsbruck, Tirol Austria on Saturday, September 23, 2006

Also read it this afternoon. Some cartoons made me laugh, but some I did not get. But it was very funny to see the book going from hand to hand during the meet.

Journal Entry 30 by Mastulela from Nuneaton, Warwickshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2006

Read it at the B'ham meeting. Most did not appeal to my sense of humour, but there were a couple of very funny cartoons. I liked the calf implants. Passed it onto another Bxer.

Journal Entry 31 by beckydore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2006

Read at the Birmingham meet yesterday. Some v funny, some bits v. distasteful.

Journal Entry 32 by countedx58 from San Francisco, California USA on Sunday, September 24, 2006

Love your idea about the "world's fastest bookring" -- if we'd done that here in California, this book would already be on the leader board! (I just checked -- three more journalers are needed to get it up there.)

Beckydore, the "distasteful" ones are exactly what Callahan is aiming for when thumbing his nose at political correctness. He knows that he only gets away with it because he himself is disabled. (As the parent of a disabled son, I can appreciate that you can either laugh or cry -- and IMO political correctness often goes way too far.)

Journal Entry 33 by ratwoman from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, September 24, 2006

hey it was great to take part in such a fun ring, I liked the flatulent nun and the early bird that catches the worm story - he he, wish I could remember it verbatim so I could use it as an excuse for always being late!

Journal Entry 34 by juliako from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

I too liked the calf inplants - and was glad I wasn't the only one who didn't get them all!

The Brindley Drive Car Park is quite useful for getting to Hudsons - £2.30 for 3 hours, plenty of spaces and a quick get away!

Journal Entry 35 by wingLyzzyBeewing from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

I liked the Calf Implants and the Snoopy Grave - v amusing! Fun to pass this among all of us at the meetup, although I have to admit I lost the little slip of paper with the BCID in (will no doubt turn up as papier-mache in the washing machine!) and had to be bailed out by wyldtwo.

Have we broken a record yet? Have we? Have we?

Journal Entry 36 by carocharlton from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2006

Read this on Saturday at Birmingham meetup. Had to skim through it really quickly as people were queueing up to make the World's Fastest Bookring!

Appears that the cartoonist is American, raised Catholic, and paraplegic, so lots of Catholic and wheelchair jokes. Good for him! although the Sexual Scrapbook would have made me cry if I'd read it at home...

Journal Entry 37 by Heaven-Ali at Caffe Nero, King's Parade OBCZ in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 06, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/7/2006 UTC) at Caffe Nero, King's Parade OBCZ in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

After an attempt at the worlds fastest book ring at the Birmingham meet up I'm taking this to Cambridge - where I may actally manage to get rid of this book : )

Journal Entry 38 by gauloise-noire from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 07, 2006

Read as part of Fastest Book Ring whilst sitting in Caffe Nero, Heffers, Trinity Street. It was rubbish. Am glad I had the chance to swiftly pass it on.

Journal Entry 39 by dododumpling from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 07, 2006

Read at the Cambridge meet up this afternoon.

Some cartoons were funny, others weren't. I wish I could remember examples but I read it very quickly and can't!

Journal Entry 40 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Thursday, October 12, 2006

was given this to pass around at meetups in Germany.
I liked some of them, others I didn't. And there where those I didn't even get.
I think my favourite was the "LA funeral" (p.80). So true! :-D

Journal Entry 41 by LindyB28 from Acocks Green, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I read this at the Cambridge meet on 7th October and (to be honest) I didn't think it was very funny!

Journal Entry 42 by FuzzysBooks from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I browsed through the book at the meet-up today.

To be honest: I didn't understood every joke, because of the lack of vocabulary, or some missing "insider-information". But still there were many cartoons, which made me laugh. And yes, most of them were "politically incorrect"...

Journal Entry 43 by BLu177 from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Caught it at the Frankfurt Meet Up and immediately released it again...
I loved it, some of the cartons were just wonderful.
So enjoy, who ever is next...........
BLu177

Journal Entry 44 by MrBennet from Darmstadt, Hessen Germany on Thursday, November 16, 2006

I liked most of the cartoons - I was astonished how juicy they could be (I love juicy jokes), for one of my favourite prejudices is: "All Americans are really prude". There seems to be at least one exception... I couldn't understand some of the cartoons because I don't know enough about US everyday cultural specials. But there was still enough to be amused. I left the book to the other MeetUp participants.

Journal Entry 45 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, December 06, 2006

If anyone wonders where it is at the moment: in my possession.
I'm still going to give it around at meetups, next one will be Friday, I hope.

And here's the article to this:

Journal Entry 46 by tracyshannon from El Paso, Texas USA on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Lots of humor and irreverence in this book!

My favorite: "Are you comfortable speaking of the straw?"

LOL

Journal Entry 47 by Sternschnuppe28 from Flörsheim am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

well. what can you do, when a kind woman asks you politely to read this book (in the middle of a meet-up) and write a comment on it? You at least try. especially when the book offers such a challenging titel ("scrapbook on my sexual ..." what was it?!). That certainly caught my interest. Only found out later that this was only the title of a ten page additional edition, which was not so great at all.

The rest, one-side comics were ... special, a couple I did not understand at all, others were way too macabre, some really good. You will find my favourites on pages 30, 48, 62, 75 and 88. Best I liked the one with the birth control & birkenstock shoes.

Journal Entry 48 by Wasserseele from Hahnstätten, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Had to read this one at the Wiesbaden meetup today. Sort of funny, most of the cartoons. I think my favourite one is the dog cemetery. Have always been a big Snoopy fan. ;´-)

Journal Entry 49 by rem_BSM-942247 on Saturday, January 06, 2007

passed to me by elhamisabel in the coffee shop of the Chester Beatty Library,Dublin. It was a very quick read, but I did get a few laughs out of it. It's now with another member of BCIE so it can continue on it's journey :)

Journal Entry 50 by Gizmopuddy from Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Saturday, February 17, 2007

Some quite funny cartoons, the odd very funny one, some didn't quite hit the mark.

Going to send it on it's way again in Cork at the annual BCie day out

Journal Entry 51 by SirRoy from Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Sunday, February 18, 2007

This is just not funny. There are one or two exceptions. I like the tv warning which says "The following prorgram contains language which may be offensive enough to knock a buzzard off a shit-wagon" - and that's the first one. After that they descend into merely offensive and unitelligible. The calf implants was slightly amusing.

Anyway, I feel slightly under pressure now to move this on. I love the idea of this ring.

Journal Entry 52 by nut from Kilkenny City, Co. Kilkenny Ireland on Monday, February 19, 2007

Flipped through this on the BCie Cork day out. Too quickly it seems - I didn't see "the calf one". Spent too long on the sexual scrap book - that time could have been spent flipping through the rest of the book again. Nearly wild realsed it - it was just handed to me and I didn't know what the story was with it.

Journal Entry 53 by microsquid from Cobh, Co. Cork Ireland on Monday, February 19, 2007

There's something here to offend everyone, but plenty of laugh-out-loud moments too :)
Burned through it in 10 mins at the BCIE meetup in Cork.

Journal Entry 54 by nifferdoodle from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Monday, February 19, 2007

Pretty funny stuff. I enjoyed the first half the most I have to say.... highly enjoyed the horrible puns and such. I also enjoyed the idea of ones body exploding at the moment of orgasm. Good stuff. Read during the BCIE trip to Cork

Journal Entry 55 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 19, 2007

This was laugh out loud and I did (much to the amusement of others sitting at my table). Passed on to microsquid.

Journal Entry 56 by Celtic-Angel from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 19, 2007

Funny... an interesting way to put these thoughts into a book... leave it to SirRoy to bring a book like this to a meet up!!

Journal Entry 57 by SirRoy at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (9/19/2007 UTC) at The Long Stone Pub (OBCZ) in Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland

Released at our monthly BCie meetup.

Journal Entry 58 by davidg666 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, September 20, 2007

Read at high speed (not difficult) under direction from KiwiinEngland at the September 2007 BCie meetup in Dublin - now journalling as instructed. Was suitably amused - a novel component (amongst several) of a pretty good mothly meetup

Journal Entry 59 by Roxy4 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, September 21, 2007

picked this up at the Dublin monthly meet-up (agree with Davidg666...definitely a good one!) in the Long Stone Pub and subsequently read it on the train journey home. like other journallers, I laughed at some jokes, cringed at others and didn't get some (although I "got" more on a second reading). Definitely not politically correct but i think the world has gone overboard in this regard! There was an element of truth to most of the jokes.

Loved reading all the other journal entries. I'll pass it around to family members before bringing to the next meet up.

ps Is that a reference to Garp/Jenny (John Irvine) in the last few cartoons? Those who've read this book will know what I mean!

Journal Entry 60 by Number-22 from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, September 27, 2007

Given by my mother (Roxy4) and gonna give it back to her for her to pass on at the next bookcrossing meeting. Some funny jokes, others that I didnt quite get!

Journal Entry 61 by YokoSpungeon from Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The funniest thing about this book, is that I had exactly the same reaction as SirRoy. I feel guilty to admit that I really hated it. The drawings are awful, the humour not embellished or alternatively excused by his physical abilities. The most interesting part to me was the sequence of drawings at the end in which he illustrated his experience of his disability. The rest of it just wasn't funny. A smirk was perhaps elicited at one point, but that was about it.

Not what I was expecting. Ah well, you like some you loathe some, all part of the rich tapestry of BookCrossing! Thanks for the chance to read it anyway!

Will try to find someone to pass this onto asap, as seems to be the tradition with this book.

Journal Entry 62 by YokoSpungeon at On a release walk in Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland on Monday, September 08, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (9/9/2008 UTC) at On a release walk in Dunboyne, Co. Meath Ireland

Planned release in Dunboyne on a release walk.

Journal Entry 63 by wingmiketrollwing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A welcome surprise from those degenerates in Dunboyne. Thanks, guys!

This book takes bad taste to a new level. Love it! :)

Journal Entry 64 by wingmiketrollwing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (1/23/2013 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom