corner corner Truth & Beauty - A Friendship

Truth & Beauty - A Friendship
by Ann Patchett | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by fizzfred of Sacramento, California USA on 7/5/2005

status (set by Katisha50): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I read this right after finishing Autobiography of a Face. That was an interesting book. This one, though... I can't put my finger on what the problem was. First of all, Ann Patchett is one of my favorite authors. I thought this book was supposed to celebrate her friendship with Lucy Grealy. Instead I felt like it was more of a justification of their friendship. Ann sounds like she'd be a great friend. Lucy though, what a nightmare. Maybe I would have had a different impression if I hadn't just read Lucy's book. She is just so needy and selfish and a little bit annoying. After reading these two books I feel so depressed. I need to go read something funny right now! :)

Journal Entry 2 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Friday, September 09, 2005

Sent to geishabird as a surprise RABCK because she wished for it and we both read Autobiography of a Face in a bookring.

Journal Entry 3 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Received today...thank you! I was very affected by Autobiography of a Face and am very interested in finding out more about Lucy, and also about Ann Patchett. I'm really intrigued by their relationship. Thank you, fizzfred, for your kindness. BookCrossers *are* the nicest people!

Journal Entry 4 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 12, 2006

I'm glad I finally took the opportunity to read this. It's a very sad book in many ways. It's a credit to Ann Patchett's writing as well as her commitment to her friendship with Lucy that she (Lucy) always comes across more as a wounded bird than an albatross around Ann's neck. Ann's love for her friend is evident, even during Lucy's most trying periods. It's a tragedy that Lucy's crippling depression couldn't have been diagnosed and treated early enough for her to avoided the downward spiral that ultimately brought about her premature death. Ann seems to view Lucy as a package deal, however. I understand that Lucy's family doesn't care too much for this book, but from what I've read, they seem more upset with the fact that there *is* a book rather than with its content. Another thing I particularly enjoyed was Ann's description of the writing process - particularly the exhilaration that comes when it's working.

Journal Entry 5 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 30, 2006

Came in the mail today. Glad I picked this up in the nonfic swap... it's been on my wish list for awhile. Thanks again! =D

Journal Entry 6 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, January 21, 2007

"I have the most extraordinary friends. I've never really understood why everyone has been so good to me, and now I can interview them, talk to them and see." Then she added as a gift, "I'll write a whole chapter about you."

"I could write a whole book about you," I said, and laughed.

I really enjoyed this book. Ann Patchett writes beautifully, and I often found myself wanting to slow down my reading to enjoy the writing more fully. Patchett does a fine job of rendering Lucy's big personality, her huge emotional presence (as opposed to her small physical one), and her tendency to pursue things both good and bad with a reckless passion. While it's true that many elements of Lucy's behavior are downright selfish and irritating...Patchett manages to show Lucy in a positive light that captures the great things that Lucy brought into Ann's life along with the not so great things. In some sense, everybody needs a spontaeous, passionate friend who will jolt them out of their comfort zone and help them live their life more fully, but as Patchett shows, having a friend like this, in Lucy, was certainly not all fun and games as Lucy was nearly as passionate about feeling bad as she was about feeling good.

There were so many things in this book I felt like I could relate to - for example being the one who is the ant to a friend's grasshopper. She also describes the feeling of that lull between being a success at school and being a success in the "real world" where you're wondering if you'll ever get to that place where you're a successful somebody. All in all, this was a fine read, I was completely caught up in the story of Ann and Lucy's friendship, and Ann's love for Lucy permeates the story...it's an honest tribute to their friendship that encompasses both its good and bad moments. Patchett shows us that friendship can be messy and can easily fall apart, but love is the glue that holds it all together.

Journal Entry 7 by yourotherleft at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (1/23/2007 UTC) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

It's off to camis, the winner of the Relay sweeps. Hope you enjoy (and that nobody else sends this to you! LOL)! =)

Journal Entry 8 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, March 09, 2007

Recieved safely today - thank you!

Journal Entry 9 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Well, this didn't hang about on Mount TBR for long! Having read 2 of Patchett's novels, I put this on my wishlist not actually realising it wasn't another novel! However, I'm glad I hadn't known as I may have passed this one by and it would have been a big shame.

I really enjoyed this - Patchett's love for her friend Lucy comes shining through, even through the really difficult times and even when Lucy doesn't seem appreciative of the friend she has.

Whilst I could not even begin to comprehend what Lucy endured in her life, I do think she was very lucky to have the friend that she did, as her behaviour certainly wasn't endearing all the time.

Thank you again for sending this - I am really pleased to have read it.

Journal Entry 10 by camis from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Friday, August 17, 2007

Sending to Juliako from a VBB.

Journal Entry 11 by juliako from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, August 26, 2007

This was waiting for me on my return from holiday - thank you very much!

Journal Entry 12 by juliako from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 02, 2009

This was interesting - and very well written. However, although the main thread was about their friendship, it was actually how they became authors which kept me reading because I'm afraid I struggled to stay sympathetic to Lucy, even though I can't begin to imagine how much she suffered and so obviously did feel for her plight.

Thanks for sharing this!

Journal Entry 13 by juliako at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 02, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/2/2010 UTC) at Hudson's, 122-124 Colmore Row in Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Meet the Birmingham Bookcrossers at Hudsons from 2-4pm

Journal Entry 14 by beckydore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Picked up at yesterdays meet of Birmingham bookcrossers.
I am taking this for Mum who previously enjoyed Bel Canto and Run.

Journal Entry 15 by beckydore at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, January 18, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (1/16/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Given to Mum.

Journal Entry 16 by jacquidore from Torpoint, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, January 28, 2010

This is about a long friendship of two friends and how lucy went through a series of operations to remodel her face following treatment for Cancer, Ann and various other friends frequently bailed her out financially and supported her in many other ways. I found aspects of this disturbing especially when she became hooked on painkillers and heroin. A tragic life for one so talented.

Journal Entry 17 by wingKatisha50wing at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Given to me by beckydore for releasing purposes. Was put in the Urban Coffee Co in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, but has now been taken.