corner corner Without Reservations : The Travels of an Independent Woman - Bookray

Journal Entry 1 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

This book was nice. I don't hate Alice Steinback quite as much as I hate Frances Mayes (she is living the life that was meant to be mine!) but I am very jealous of her voyage. I really respect her ability to travel alone and meet the most interesting people. She has recently written a new memoir called Educating Alice: Adventures of a Curious Woman. I'll have to pick that one up too.

Maybe someday I'll be able to take a year off and travel around Europe. I don't see it happening any time soon though. I said I was curious about Freya Stark's memoir, The Valley of the Assassins, that she often quotes and dschinny RABCKed it to me. If anyone else wants to read it let me know.

From the back cover:
"In many ways, I was an independent woman," writes Pulitzer Prizewinning journalist Alice Steinback. "For years I'd made my own choices, paid my own bills, shoveled my own snow." But somehow she had become dependent in quite another way. "I had fallen into the habit... of defining myself in terms of who I was to other people and what they expected of me." But who was she away from the people and things that defined her? In this exquisite book, Steinbach searches for the answer to this question in some of the most beautiful and exciting places in the world: Paris, where she finds a soul mate; Oxford, where she takes a course on the English village; Milan, where she befriends a young woman about to be married. Beautifully illustrated with postcards from her journeys, this revealing and witty book transports you into a fascinating inner and outer journey, and unforgettable voyage of discovery.

Journal Entry 2 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I bought this book to replace my stuck ray. I don't want to buy a third copy so please keep this one moving! :) Please journal when you receive this book so we know where it is. Try to read it in 4 weeks after receiving it. Then, tell us what you thought of it in a journal entry. PM the next person on the list for their address and send it on in a timely manner. Make sure to let us know when you sent it in a journal entry. Enjoy!!!

Here are the participants and the order it will be shipped...
1. dschinny (Germany)
11. schmetterling (NC)*
12. hotflash (AZ)*
13. Ilios (FL) US/Canada
14. Tiredngrumpy (FL)*
15. meganh (Australia)* (put near end)
16. jackiea (Australia)* - skipped
17. maupi (Netherlands) Europe (put near end) - skipped
18. redhouse (UK)* (put near end) - skipped
19. Auglaise (UK) Europe
20. Brujula (France) Europe

It seems appropriate to let this book travel where it may. :) I'm so excited so many people from all over the world have signed up! The ray has ended now but the book is still traveling. Have fun little book!!!

Journal Entry 3 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Friday, June 24, 2005

Sent to labmomnm today to complete it's journey. I am so sorry for the delay. I hope you all enjoy the book!!!

Journal Entry 4 by winglabmomnmwing from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Sunday, July 03, 2005

Arrived in yesterday's mail - thanks! (Really spiffy BC bookplate, by the way)

11 July '05 - I finished reading this yesterday and really enjoyed it! I've already bought a copy to keep, and plan to get more to give away :-)

I think the thing I liked best about Alice was the way she was able to allow herself to be open to life, even when she had to convince herself that this would be best for her. I was talking to a co-worker last week who was saying she'd missed an annual art show (that she *loves* to attend) last year because her husband was out of town. I asked why not go on her own, and her response was, "I don't like to talk to people". I wanted to shake her! (She's one of the people I plan to give a copy of this book.) I know too many women who are like that - afraid to go anywhere on their own, not just because of some perceived danger of a lone woman, but also (and maybe even more) because of what people will think. I was sooooo not raised that way.

Thanks for sharing this, fizzfred!

17 July '05 - mailed to sgscliff

Journal Entry 5 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I just received the book and read a little while on the bus. I think this book arrived at the right time for me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Friday, September 09, 2005

I just finished and enjoyed it. I am abit younger then Alice, but am trying to rediscover who I am. I am using a book called "You Can Do It: a Big Girls Merit badge book" to rediscover me. So this book came at a good time.

I am pming NWPassage for mailing address.

Journal Entry 7 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Monday, September 26, 2005

Book arrived today! First off: fizzfred, what a BEAUTIFUL label you designed for this book!!! Absolutely gorgeous! I will finish the novel I'm currently reading quickly and start this ASAP. Thanks so much for including me in this ring! :)

Journal Entry 8 by nwpassage from Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Confession: a while ago, when I was looking at all the rings I'd signed up for in my burst of ring-newbie excitement, I started feeling a little overwhelmed and decided to drop out of a few. I seriously thought about dropping this one, but some little voice told me no. I'm so glad I listened, because this was one of the best books I've read in a long time.

Steinback's prose is beautiful and insightful. This is a delicious book, one that I want to buy for my PC, plus buy copies for all the women I know, especially the single ones. I am also going to be looking for the other travel book by Steinbach.

This book also reminded me somewhat of one of my favorite books of all time, "Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World" by Rita Golden Gelman.

I should also mention that this travel book got in some extra travel with me. I had to take the Greyhound bus to my hometown of Fort St. John (8 hours each way) this past week, to attend my great-grandmother's funeral. This book kept me company all the way. I started it on the trip up, but was too full of thoughts to get much read. On the trip back Sunday, I finished the section on Paris as the bus pulled into Chetwynd, and the section on London as we pulled into Mackenzie. After taking a day to reconnect with my honey, I finished the book this morning.

I really can't recommend this book enough! It really reignited my traveling itch. Thanks so much for including me fizzfred, and for going to all the extra trouble of buying a second copy when the ring got stuck.

I'm going to take a few notes of "places to see", then I'll package this up and get it in the mail to Jessibud, hopefully later this afternoon.

Journal Entry 9 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 22, 2005

This book arrived yesterday. Today is a rainy and cold day, just perfect for hunkering down under a blanket on the couch, with a book and a cup of hot chocolate!

Although I have a couple of other books I am committed to at the moment, I may sneak this one in anyhow, and not make it wait its turn!

Stay tuned...

Journal Entry 10 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 20, 2005

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying this book. I am over my head right now with school work, so I've been slowed down a bit but hopefully, I'll have it finished by the end of this week. I will PM for Rrrcaron's addy, so I'll be ready.

Journal Entry 11 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 04, 2005

What a great book! I liked it so much, I went out and bought my own copy, just so that I can mark the passages I loved; I got tired of copying them out into my *Favourite Passages* file, lol! And of course, while at the bookstore yesterday, I saw her follow-up book, "Educating Alice - Adventures of a Curious Woman" and -- you guessed it! -- I had to buy that one, too. A little present to myself!

I will leave you with one of my favourite passages:

"Going back to school is like going back in time. Immediately, for better or for worse, you must give up a little piece of your autonomy in order to become part of the group. And every group, of course, has its hierarchies and rules -- spoken and unspoken. It is like learning to live once again in a family -- which, of course, is the setting where all learning begins."

Ok, one more:

"Perhaps," this companion - whose name was Insecurity - whispered to me, "you're just not as smart as the others."...
At such times I reminded myself that life was not a test and no one was grading me. Except my own superego, of course...
I loved it. All of it. I loved being back in a learning situation surrounded by opinionated, smart and complex people. I loved the political arguments that started at dinner and ended hours later in a pub on the High Street. I loved the rumours and the gossip. I even loved watching the way in which small circles formed and broke away from the group. I saw it as a valuable lesson in the psychology of how people select -- often after an initial mis-selection -- the company they prefer to keep."

Hehe, not unlike Bookcrossing, lol! ;-)

Oh, there are way too many other gems and nuggets of insight sprinkled throughout the book for me to copy here. Just read on and enjoy!!

Thanks for including me in this bookring. Mailed off today to Rrrcaron

Journal Entry 12 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 18, 2005

I received this book in the mail a few days ago. I hope to get to it soon.
Ruth

Journal Entry 13 by Rrrcaron from Lancaster, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, May 13, 2006

Sending this off to maryzee via priority mail on Monday. Life got in the way, so I didn't get a cahnce to read this one. Maybe I'll catch it later on when things are quite so hectic. Sorry for the hold up!
Ruth

Journal Entry 14 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Received in the mail today. I'll get started on this soon.

5/23/06 - Starting on this today.

Journal Entry 15 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 28, 2006

What a lovely book! I'd heard good things about this one, and was eagerly awaiting my turn to read it. I wasn't disappointed; I felt like I was traveling right along with Ms. Steinbach. I've never been to Europe, but now I feel like I've visited (although vicariously it was).

Thanks so much for sharing this one Fizzfred. Mailed to Schmetterling on 6/2/06.

Journal Entry 16 by schmetterling from Durham, North Carolina USA on Saturday, July 01, 2006

Greetings, fellow BookCrossers! I received this book the week that I was moving, so it's been hidden away in an unmarked box for a few weeks. Sorry! I have just started it and am so far enjoying it quite a bit.

Journal Entry 17 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, August 05, 2006

Finally, I get a shot at reading this one. My turn came up last summer when I knew I couldn't promise to complete a bookring book in a timely manner, so I passed. I was in the midst of a family medical crises, which was consuming all my time and enery. I am so pleased to be able to jump back in now and take my turn. Thanks for moving me down the list and keeping me in the ring. Will finish my current book in a day or so and will then immediately begin reading this one !

Journal Entry 18 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, August 20, 2006

An absolute, unequivocal 10 .
What a remarkable memoir – what a remarkable woman !! One of my favorite observations is that “being alone” is different from “being on my own”.
Oh how I wish I had the adventurous spirit and spontaneity of Alice Steinbach. I wish I could morph into an independent woman, perfectly at ease travelling around Europe and Great Britain on my own. I so admire this woman: everything from her talent for falling easily into friendships and conversations with the strangers she met on her travels, to her poetic and thoughtful observations of the world around her.

This is wonderful: …beauty and history that hangs like a bridal veil over the city of Paris ; and this poignant statement, ...people and places and cats that were lost to me. I had been thinking a lot about that lately—the inevitability of separation, in one form or another, from all those we love and, in a different way, from ourselves as we were in the past. I love Steinbach's ability to rediscover and to celebrate who she is now rather than mourning who she was at 25.

This quote from Frey’s writing (my ignorance of this writer is sending me to the Web for a search), seemed to be the grand finale to all of Steinbach’s remarks about learning not to let life beat her down, to continue to move forward: “The unexpectedness of life, waiting around every corner, catches even wise women unawares…. “to avoid corners altogether is, after all, to refuse to live life”. I wish I had read this about 30 years ago.

I loved this book. I could write pages ...but instead I will PM the next reader and get this wonderful memoir on its way again.

Journal Entry 19 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, August 21, 2006

This marvellous book will be on its way again tomorrow. Received Ilios's address today. Enjoy !

Picture taken in 2002, in England, the village of Corfe -- the remains of Corfe Castle in the background. Corfe is near Bournemouth, in SE England
This is as far as my non-aventureous spirit has travelled: to England to visit my family and one of my closest friends.

Journal Entry 20 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Just got this in the mail! This is great timing, as I am finishing my last ring. I will update this entry as soon as I a done. Thanks for sharing!

PS: I loved the label, fizzfred! It's wonderful!

9/15/06

I finished this book a few days ago and had a wonderful time traveling through Europe with Ms. Steinbach. She did a wonderful job at combining descriptions and historical information from the places she visited and her own personal experiences witht the people she met along the way. Her approach was very open and it was a pleasure to catch a ride with her.

Having been raised in Paris and traveled trhough Europe myself in my late teens, this book really made me long for the places, foods, adventures that are bound to happen when you have time in your hands and a willingness to really know new places.

I will definitely keep an eye out for other books from this author. This read was well worth it.

PS: I sent a second PM to Tiredngrumpy today. I hope to get an answer soon so that this book can travel again.

Journal Entry 21 by Ilios at post office in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (9/19/2006 UTC) at post office in BOOKRAY, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Tiredngrumpy declined to receive the ray, so I am sending it back to fizzfred so that this book can start its overseas journey.

Journal Entry 22 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I was out of town and found this waiting for me when I returned home. I will PM meganh to get this rolling again soon. Thanks to labmomnm, sgscarcliff, nwpassage, jessibud, Rrrcaron, MaryZee, schmetterling, hotflash and Ilios for helping this ray run so smoothly!

Journal Entry 23 by fizzfred from Sacramento, California USA on Thursday, November 30, 2006

I FINALLY got it in the mail to meganh. I am so sorry for the delay. I goofed and thought I had mailed it ages ago. :( I hope the rest of the readers enjoy it. Thanks for your patience.

Journal Entry 24 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Monday, January 29, 2007

This well travelled book has finally arrived downunder - just a week before I moved! Thank you fizzfred for persisting with this ray, I look forward to reading this book which has captivated all it's readers. Thank you also for the RABCK "Gilead" - I have crossed two books off my wish list in one go. I love your work - the beautiful bookmarks travelling with the ray and the book label - you are very creative!

Journal Entry 25 by wingmeganhwing from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I joined this bookray way back when I was very much an independent woman myself and had just returned from 5 weeks in France and Sweden. Since then, I have met a new partner and in a few months we are heading off to Italy to live and travel for about a year.
After reading this book, I now look forward to spending time in Asolo as well as Siena and Ravello, some of the Italian towns which Alice loved so much.
I enjoyed the way she wrote about the people she met wherever she went. I liked the way that people, places and events reminded her of her family and friends particularly her long dead father and grandmother. I loved how she knew and visited places where famous writers had frequented. I enjoyed her visit to Pere La Chaise Cimitiere in Paris where I had once spent many pleasant hours (photo attached of Edith Piaf's grave).
Although her adventures were bland compared to those of Freya Stark whose adventures she enjoyed reading, she enjoyed wonderful experiences and wrote about them beautifully.
Off to jackiea next.
9/2/07 jackiea no longer has PMs enabled (she has become inactive).
10/2/07 maupi is overwhelmed and wishes to pass.
I will PM redhouse next -
12/2/07 she has also declined as her TBR books have taken over her bookcase. PM'd Auglaise; here's hoping we have a new reader.

Journal Entry 26 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 05, 2007

I'm really excited about reading this one; It arrived today. And thank you for the bookmark!

Journal Entry 27 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 09, 2007

I loved this book. As I was reading it, I found myself back traveling around Europe for two months with a friend of mine when I was 19 and still lived in the States. I'm definately going to be buying this one! Thanks so much for having the ring, and I'll pass it on as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 28 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, April 20, 2007

Being sent off today!

Journal Entry 29 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

This book arrived safely in Belfort sometime last week, and I found it in the mail when I came back from vacation.

Thank you Auglaise by sending it on!

Journal Entry 30 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Friday, May 25, 2007

A very relaxing read, well written, of a slowpaced and long trip to several european cities.
I wish I could take several months to make such a trip!
Thanks for this ring!
Pming Hellie for his/her adress.

Journal Entry 31 by Brujula from Valenciennes, Nord-Pas-de-Calais France on Saturday, September 08, 2007

Mailed to Kanapoutz this morning.
Sorry it's taken me so long.

Journal Entry 32 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, September 10, 2007

Got the book, thanks!
Will read soon...

Journal Entry 33 by KanaPoutz from Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, October 29, 2007

I didn't think much of the writing, but I liked the book. It's quite inspiring, because of course like many of you, I would love to travel like that for a number of months! Sometimes I could not really relate to the author because of our age difference.
There are some really nice places in that book that I would love to visit!
Thanks for the ray, I'm sending it to Icila now.

Journal Entry 34 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, November 05, 2007

Got this morning. Thanks for the perfumed calendar ! :)

Journal Entry 35 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, October 13, 2013

I don't know how I didn't read this sooner.
I think I'm well traveled and I totally approve of Alice Steinbach views on the thing. Do a planning but be open to follow your mood about a street name, a view... You need a map and a solid sense of direction, forget the GPS device. ;)
I think you have to be a certain age to understand her meanings.
The think is to be optimistic and take chances without fearing the future. Easier said than done.
I didn't know anything about Freya Stark but I intend to read about her voyages.
And surely I want to read Educating Alice.

Journal Entry 36 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I chose this one for the 1st leg of the 2015 roundabout.

1. Fifna
2. Lamilla
3. Dark-draco
4. elstaplador1.
5. earthcaroleanne
Back to Icila

Journal Entry 37 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (1/13/2016 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to The Netherlands. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 38 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Arrived safely today, thank you Icila! This looks like something I will enjoy.

Journal Entry 39 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, March 05, 2016

With me now. For such a travelled book it is in extremely good shape!

ETA: I was eager to start reading to compare travel experience. In the end, I left the book unfinished. The content would fit the blog of medium interest, I was surprised to find it published as the proper book

Journal Entry 40 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/29/2016 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

Sent further

Journal Entry 41 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 07, 2016

Received yesterday - thank you :)

Journal Entry 42 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I'm sort of interested in this kind of book - I mean, I don't seek them out, but when one falls in my path, I usually give it a go. My favourite author of the 'genre' is Bill Bryson, whose witty outlook on his travels is what makes my want to read about what are, essentially, his holidays!

Alice Steinbach is a good writer - but she isn't witty. There were a few moments that made me smile (namely trying to get out of an airport!), but on the whole she comes across as a very serious, and sometimes quite sombre, person. However, it is the writing that kept me reading - her style is easy to read and enjoyable - her turn of phrase can be very clever and I liked some of the descriptive passages a lot. On the negative side, there is a lot of jumping around, especially towards the end of the book, where it seemed her homesickness made her turn to the more enjoyable moments in her travels rather than face up to her sadness. She seemed to easily meet nice people ... I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy, but maybe the more horrible ones she didn't want to immortalise in her book?

Anyway, a good enough read - entertaining and great to pick up in small amounts. But not as live changing for the reader as it obviously was for the author!

Journal Entry 43 by dark-draco at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, May 23, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (5/21/2016 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted off to the next participant of the Favourite Book of 2015 Roundabout.

Journal Entry 44 by elstaplador at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 27, 2016

Safely received in the Favourites book roundabout.

Journal Entry 45 by elstaplador at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Wow - what a well-travelled book! By this point it must have travelled many thousands more miles than the author.

I found this a pleasant and readable account of what would have been called a 'Grand Tour' two hundred years ago, though I felt that it took itself more seriously than was really warranted. It's interesting reading about locations that are familiar to me from a stranger's perspective, though my feelings were mixed on that score. The Oxford section in particular set off my 'resident in a tourist spot' cringe reaction - I don't know Oxford well, but I live in Cambridge. Where I was less familiar with the scenery, however, I enjoyed coming along for the ride.

Journal Entry 46 by elstaplador at by post, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/7/2016 UTC) at by post, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Sending on to the next participant in the Favourites roundabout.

Journal Entry 47 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, June 10, 2016

Arrived today - with another bookray, of course!

Journal Entry 48 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, July 15, 2016

I was slightly worried about this book because it reminded me of Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and i hated that. Fortunately Alice Steinbach is much more likeable. What also helped was I have recently had holidays in Paris and Venice and of course the Convention in Oxford plus a long ago memory of Monet's Garden. Sometimes her travels seemed too good to be true and in a horrible way I was pleased she had problems in Rome. However I'm completely jealous of her visits to buildings designed by Palladio. I love Scottish architecture and much of Edinburgh New Town is built on Palladio's principles. So glad you sent this out for the roundabout.

Journal Entry 49 by wingearthcaroleannewing at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, August 04, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/5/2016 UTC) at La Chapelle-sur-Erdre, Pays de la Loire France

Sending on in the favourites roundabout.

Journal Entry 50 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The book is now with me again. Thank you.