corner corner The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger | Literature & Fiction
Registered by UrbanSpaceman of Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on 6/18/2005

status (set by UrbanSpaceman): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 18, 2005

Joining my TBR pile. Part of three(!) of my reading projects: Observer 100 Greatest Novels, Time 100 Best Novels and Random House 100 Greatest Novels

Journal Entry 2 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 31, 2006

An interesting book that, in many ways, it could have been written nowadays. Set in the early 1950s, it tells the story of a few days in the confused life of teenager Holden Cauldfield after he has been thrown out yet another school for failure to perform academically. Rather than wait to return home to New York for Christmas, he leaves school early and embarks on a series of rather random and futile adventures. Holden spends much of the book condemning adults and their world as phony, while also being quite harsh on himself. He is, in many ways an archetypal teenager - superficially worldly but actually quite naive, boorish and insensitive to others while deep down looking for love and companionship.

"Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman at The Pottery , Park Road in Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, March 19, 2006

This book will be released at the next Kingston BookCrossing Meetup - Tuesday 28 March, 7-11 pm. All are welcome - we'll be sitting in the sofas and will have piles of books and a BookCrossing sign with us. For more information, please PM UrbanSpaceman.

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman at The Pottery , Park Road in Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, March 24, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (3/28/2006 UTC) at The Pottery , Park Road in Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom