corner corner Homeland - A fictional memoir

Homeland - A fictional memoir
by Betty BIRSKYS | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by STILLDREAMING of Caloundra, Queensland Australia on 6/14/2005

status (set by 9moons): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by STILLDREAMING from Caloundra, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Homeland was on the short list of three for the prestigious Queensland Premiers Emerging Award in 2004 - not bad for an old lady of 79!
It tells of the coming of the first Dispalced Person immigrants in the late 40s and their intermingling over fifty years into mainstream Angloeltic society. At one level it is an analogy for the creation of our multicultural society, at a more personal level it is a poignant love story told, unusually, from the point of view of the Anglo-eltic partner in a long 'mixed marriage'.
Comments the author has received: "a moving study of cross-culture marriage and migrant life... a familiar but often untold urban story.."; :a story that needed to be told, and than k God this woman, wife, helpmate of a 'New Australian' has told it..."; "...this would be a great read for book clubs, it is one of our stories, a Brisbane that is both familiar and in parts foreign..." "...recaptures the flavour of the period excellently in all its small but precise details..."
A story for all Australians to read; it encapsulates how our 'tribe' evolved. After all, apart from the Aborigines, we or our ancestors all came from across the seas.
Read it, enjoy it, pass it on, and talk about it.

Journal Entry 2 by STILLDREAMING at Australian Bookcrossing Convention (2005) in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (6/23/2005 UTC) at Australian Bookcrossing Convention (2005) in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Journal Entry 3 by Bris-Con from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 22, 2005

This book arrived at BCAUS Convention bookshelf Wednesday 22 June 2005. Part of STILLDREAMING's prize contribution for the Convention Trivia night Saturday 25 June 2005.

Bris-Con

Thank you STILLDREAMING!

Journal Entry 4 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Monday, June 27, 2005

I was very lucky to win this during the trivia night at the convention. I think it was a Tom hanks question! I was the first with my hand up to answer in attempt to win this fantatstic book, I love australian fiction and will be reading this as soon as possible. It has ben requested that I pass it around the brisbane bookcrossing group so we can all enjoy it so this will be done with nessy being next after me.

Journal Entry 5 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Saturday, July 16, 2005

The thing I love best about Bookcrossing is how many booksI am reading that I would never have read before. I may not have even given this book a second look before. I really enjoyed this and got very involved in the story. the familiar places helped! Cloudland (which has been of great interest to me in the last few weeks), Golden Cirlce ( my hubby works there) and even Expo! Having a penpal who lives in Estonia gave me even more interest in the history of the Lithuanian immigrants. I am taking this to meetup tomorrow to share it with other brisbane bcers, who I hope will enjoy it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Picked up at July Bookcrossing Meetup Stones Corner Pub.
Thank you to Stilldreaming and Wombles for this book. I'm really looking forward to reading it. Immigrating was quite interesting for me so I'm always curious about other immigration stories :)

Neesy

Journal Entry 7 by Neesy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

This was certainly a page turner - once I started I couldn't stop. I was so intruged by the true descriptions and events. Yes, I also have a fascination with Cloudland!

What I found most interesting is the similarities between 'those times' and now. Being a migrant myself, I can identify with certain issues and situations - especially the issue of identity and 'fitting in' and of course inter-racial relationships. It is rewarding to see Australian authors who depict a real view of Australia as it creates a culture and identity for itself. I believe that all Australians, wherever their origins, are able to contribute to the emerging Australian culture. I pray that we are more tolerant everyday and that embrace our multiculturalism.

Looking forward to releasing this book tomorrow night at Betty's book launch. Way to go Betty! Thank you for a fantastic read!

Neesy

Journal Entry 8 by MadamMuck from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 20, 2005

Book was passed on to me from Neesy but after going to book launch at Coldrakes on Thursday night I have purchased a copy of my own and would like this to circulate the group now.

Betty has kindly autographed this book to our Brisbane bookcrossing group

Journal Entry 9 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, August 20, 2005

Picked up at Brisbane brookcrossers monthly meeting.

Journal Entry 10 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Sunday, August 21, 2005

Just making a note here so noone forgets, this copy of Homeland is not to be wild-released, its to be kept in the Brisbane Bookcrossers "Library" and to be enjoyed by any Brisbane members who have not read it yet.

Journal Entry 11 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, September 05, 2005

I really enjoyed reading this book for several reasons. It tells a personal and sometimes engaging story that, being a migrant as well, I can sometimes relate to. The lack of shared experiences and culture is sometimes isolating.
It was nice to be able to follow them around the very familiar environment of Brisbane, I even used to dance tango in the Lithuanian hall on Gladstone Rd!

Setting this book aside to take back to the Brisbane group next time.

Journal Entry 12 by bookworm-BNE at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia on Friday, September 16, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (9/17/2005 UTC) at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia

Bringing to Brisbane BX meetup.

Journal Entry 13 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, September 18, 2005

Just love local authors AND stories with a cultural context, so couldn't go past this book.

Journal Entry 14 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, November 17, 2005

What a wonderful story! I know that it says on the back that it is a fictional memoir, but I'm sure that a lot of the experiences are those of the author. She has a wonderful ability to convey the sense of feelings that Vito and Beryl experience throughout the story, and the experiences of the Lithuanian, Polish and German immigrants.

I could also relate to a lot of the Brisbane icons ie Cloudland (what memories that invokes!), tramrides, the German Club (my father used to play in a band there), Expo88 (came back from a year overseas to the last week of this - an experience which has changed Brisbane forever) ... The one that I had forgotten about but holds many memories is Mama Luigi's Spaghetti house at Spring Hill (university days for me).

I'm going to lend this to my mother, who grew up in Brisbane with many immigrant friends, before I return this book to the Brisbane BC group at the December meet-up.

Journal Entry 15 by aleonblue from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Received this book back from my mother today to return to the Brisbane BookCrossing group. This journal is made on her behalf. She thouroughly enjoyed this book and loved the stories told by the author. She felt that the descriptions of Brisbane at the time were so well described that it took her back to that time and to those places described in Brisbane. She al;so empathised with the migrant men and what they went through being separated from their homeland, and the mixed emotions they felt on returning home for a vist. Having friends who came from Eastern Germany around the same time, and understanding their experiences on returning in the 80/s/90's to visit, she felt that the book really went to the heart of how those people felt. She rated it a 9 out of 10!

Journal Entry 16 by aleonblue at Mary Ryan's Paddington in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (12/17/2005 UTC) at Mary Ryan's Paddington in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Book to be released back to the Brisbane BookCrossing group at the Xmas get-together, for the next interested person to read!! (Not to be Wild Released)

Journal Entry 17 by elisabethlily from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, December 18, 2005

Caught at the BC meeting- looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 18 by elisabethlily from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, January 02, 2006

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the descriptions of Brisbane and also the reality that it can be an unfriendly place for outsiders despite it's sunny disposition. I also enjoyed the honesty of the writing. While reading the book, I felt a strong desire to eat some meat, rye bread and pickles... I will have to go and do some delicatessan shopping soon! This is a great read and I will pass it onto another Brisbane bookcrosser in the future.

Journal Entry 19 by tiddley from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, January 15, 2006

Picked this one up at the Jan. meetup at Riverbend, half-way through reading it already and thoroughly enjoying it.

Journal Entry 20 by 9moons from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, April 30, 2006

Caught at the Stones Corner Pub MeetUp.
After reading through everyone's comments, I am fast-tracking this one to the top of the bedside pile!!

Journal Entry 21 by 9moons from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, May 04, 2006

I was so moved by this story.
Despite the gap of one - or even two - generations, this book really spoke to me. So many times I smiled in recognition of places, feelings, cultural nuances.
The last couple of chapters were particularly poignant for me, as Betty could have been writing about my own parents, whose return to their homeland after a 25 year absence changed them physically, mentally, and emotionally.
It's so personal and honest, and REAL. Thank you Betty for putting it in writing.

Journal Entry 22 by 9moons at A Friend in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (3/21/2007 UTC) at A Friend in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

I haven't been to a MeetUp in an eon, and this book is gathering dust on my desk, awaiting the day it will return to the fold...
In the meantime, I am lending this to a friend who's in an unhappy place right now, and I think (hope!) she will get something out of this story.