corner corner Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Edith Grossman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by abrokenstarr of Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on 6/10/2005

status (set by brewski): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 10, 2005

From the blurb -

A man with the soul of a poet and the patience of a saint, Florentino Ariza has waited more than half a century for the beautiful and haughty Fermina Daza, who revoked her promise to be his wife and instead married the wealthy Dr. Juvenal Urbino. Florentino Ariza's unrequited love survives fifty-one years, nine months, and four days, a time filled with encounters and travels, births, deaths and poetry. As Fermina Daza and Dr. Urbino build their life together, Florentino Ariza creates his own life, remaining loyal to Fermina in his heart while succumbing to 622 "long-term liaisons." But it is only when Dr. Urbino dies that Florentino Ariza's life really begins.

Journal Entry 2 by abrokenstarr from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 25, 2005

I offered this up on bookrelay.com to force me to read it. The book was accepted, but it took me nearly a month to read. Aie Aie Aie, I just didn't care enough about the characters. When I read the information I thought I would be hooked, but it was a real struggle for me to push through it.

This will be on its way to Alectoness and New Zealand this afternoon.

Journal Entry 3 by Alectoness from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thanks abrokenstarr for offering this as a bookrelay, it arrived in my post box today. I've read it before, but I think it's a book that will improve on a second reading. I'll let you know ;o)

Unfortunately I won't be able to start it until I hand in my university reading journal on the 31st of August. But it's sitting near the top of Mount To-Be-Read for then.

Journal Entry 4 by Alectoness from Geelong, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 13, 2005

Okay, I ended up reading this one again early because I wanted to talk about it in my reading journal. It was good to have a copy of the book that I could quote from, so many thanks to abrokenstarr for sending it.

I did like it more on a second reading. I found that I wasn't so much worried about the storyline - who was the main character, who was important - and therefore I could focus more on the beauty of the language and the moments of humour. However, I did still feel that there was too much book-space devoted to the fifty-one years, nine months, and four days between Fermina's rejections of Florentino Ariza.

Anyway, this copy has been 'bookrelayed' again, and will be sent off to RayneQueen early next week.

Journal Entry 5 by Alectoness at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 14, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (8/14/2005 UTC) at By Mail in Sent to a fellow BookCrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Book was sent off to the USA this morning. May take up to 20 days to arrive.

Journal Entry 6 by RayneQueen from Binghamton, New York USA on Friday, August 26, 2005

Received today, thanks so much!

Journal Entry 7 by RayneQueen from Binghamton, New York USA on Friday, December 29, 2006

I've been working on this for at least a month now, and I finally finished. I agree that way too much of the book was devoted to the time between rejections. I wasn't interested in that part of the story at all, but I liked the last part, after the husband finally died, much better.

Journal Entry 8 by RayneQueen from Binghamton, New York USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Sending to brewski as part of a relay. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Thanks RayneQueen, the book arrived safe and sound in my mailbox today.

Journal Entry 10 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This was me second crack at reading this book since the first attempt had me thinking this was on the list of 1001 books that all masochists should read.

Well the second time around was much better, but I have to confess that if I wasn't reading it for the 2009 KTMC Challenge, I might have given up. But, I did finish it, and what I can say is that the writing is beautiful, but the story really was not that interesting to me.

Journal Entry 11 by brewski at Inaski Shores Cottages in Kawartha Lakes, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (3/24/2009 UTC) at Inaski Shores Cottages in Kawartha Lakes, Ontario Canada

Left amongst the many books in the bookshelf in Cottage #1.

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, brewski, as your referring member.