corner corner The Dogs of Babel: A Novel

The Dogs of Babel: A Novel
by Carolyn Parkhurst, Erik Singer | Literature & Fiction
Registered by jessibud of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 6/2/2005

status (set by Brendalc57): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, June 02, 2005

I have become addicted to audiobooks lately. At first, I'd borrow them from the library to listen to on long road trips. Then, I started listening to them on my way to work, in my car. I find that it helps me feel like I'm not wasting precious time, and that I can catch up with some of the mountains of reading I always seem to have.....

When a story is well-written, it is a pleasure to listen to it being read. But when the narrator has a wonderful voice, and is a perfect fit, to the character, then this is an extra special treat and can become nothing less than a magical experience. Among many which were ok, or satisying enough, I have had the good fortune of listening to two such perfect audiobooks books over the last few months. Just yesterday, I started a third and before side one was halfway over, I knew this one was extraordinary.

Dogs of Babel, by Carolyn Parkhurst, is a story of deep grief, of deep love and of how the two intertwine. The language is delicious; exquisite, really. The reader is Erik Singer and his voice is at once calm and passionate. It is difficult to separate the voice of the reader from the voice of the writer, so seamlessly do they blend, and the way in which this story unfolds is equally funny, poignant and heartbreaking. I found myself laughing out loud at some parts, and aching with his pain, at others.

The premise of the story is one I won't reveal here except to say that if you are a dog-lover, this will resonate deep within you, no matter how far-fetched it may initially seem. The writer uses language to surprise us, to embrace us and to illuminate parts of our hearts and souls we didn't know were there. I have only one more cassette to go before I'm finished (it is unabridged, on 5 cassettes) and I simply don't want it to end.

This is one story that I will be thinking about long after I'm done.....And I already have a tentative list of bookcrossing friends I think may love this. It seems destined to become a bookring....

Journal Entry 2 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I'm finished!

Have you ever felt so overcome and so engulfed with emotion, after reading a book, that you just needed time and space to ponder it all, to think about it and revisit it, to turn it over and over inside your head and heart for awhile, before you can even consider picking up the next book...

It happens rarely, thank goodness, but it has happened again to me today. I am often a chain-reader, (like a chain smoker); I can finish one book and pick up the next one right away. But not today; I can't get this one out of my head, I can't get my head out of the space this story has me wrapped in.

More than once, I found myself sitting, listening, my mouth open in surprise and awe. I was so caught up in the unfolding of this mystery, in the peeling back of the layers of Paul's pain, trying to peer into the hidden corners of his mind and heart. Each time I thought I knew, or understood, what was about to happen, I was surprised. As I listened to the final side of the final tape this morning, on my drive to work, the tears were streaming down my face. I had to sit and compose myself before I could get out of my car and go face my day. This is NOT the kind of book to finish before facing a classroom of 7 year-olds.

I would like to start this one on a bookring or ray and will post a list here of participants, if anyone is interested. PM me if you are.

Journal Entry 3 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 12, 2005

Ok, the list is short but I have decided to make this a bookRAY, so hopefully, once it reaches its final destination, it will continue to find new homes. After some tweaking, here is the final shipping order (but still open to adjustments, if necessary):

Dogs of Babel

1 - SillySilhouette - Akron Ohio
2 - Graubart - Texas
3 - Drutt - Scotland
4 - Sujie - Malaysia -asked to be skipped
5 - Hellie - England - asked to be skipped
6 - Brendacl57 - California -- here

Journal Entry 4 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Ok, it's on its way! I mailed this off today to SillySilhouette! Thanks, all, for your patience and flexibility in getting the list organized. No worries about how long it takes to get through it; just enjoy. I am making this a bookRAY so it does not have to come home to me. I hope it has a long, happy journey.

Journal Entry 5 by SillySilhouette from Akron, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I just received these tapes in the mail today. I am anxious to start listening to them tomorrow!

Thanks jessibud!

Journal Entry 6 by SillySilhouette from Akron, Ohio USA on Saturday, June 25, 2005

Wow!! I finished listening to this last night and I could not help from bawling my eyes out.

Beautifully written and read, this poignant story is one of love, life, and loss that I never wanted to end.

My soul was touched deeply. I was taken to a place where I hardly dare to venture on my own. It's a place of emptiness, sorrow, and loss. A place where I wonder about my purpose on earth and about the meaning of life.

I wept for the frailty and the depravity of our human condition and the unconscionable things that some people do to animals and to one another.

I could relate to Lexy. In my younger days, at times, I have acted indifferent towards my boyfriends (who had loved me). This story showed me the male's perspective. -I'm not sure what my problem was as a youth. Maybe I was afraid of intimacy and was pushing them away. Regardless, I didn't seem to be able to change. Now, I'm glad that I'm older and that I don't foolishly act out like I used to (although I am still far from perfect)!

Thank you so much for offering and including me in your bookray!

Mailed to JennyO on 6/29/05.

Journal Entry 7 by Graubart from Glen Rose, Texas USA on Friday, July 22, 2005

I received the tapes a couple of days ago and will get on them soon.

Journal Entry 8 by Graubart from Glen Rose, Texas USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2005

First, understand that I am a crappy reviewer.

Once I got started on these tapes, it took only a few days to finish. I almost passed on listening after reading jessibud's and SS's entries. I am not usually all that enthusiastic about books that others promise will bring me to tears. (It's a guy thing).

So, it took some time (and encouragement from jessibud) to get started. I will say though, that as sad as it was in parts, it truly was something that I couldn't stop listening to.

These tapes will be off to Drutt in a day or two.

Journal Entry 9 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2005

The tapes are here and I'll start listening to them this weekend. Thank you, jessibud, for the recommendation and the opportunity to discover an author I didn't know.

Journal Entry 10 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 15, 2005

I moved house in the last couple of weeks and my time, outside of work, has largely been taken up by packing, moving, unpacking and cleaning.

I just wanted to reassure you that the tapes are safe in my hands and not forgotten. I'm about half way through and enjoying the telling of the story immensely. The narrator was a wonderful choice.

I'm hoping to get the audiobook on its way in the next week or so.

Journal Entry 11 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 30, 2005

I don't want to say too much about this for fear of giving anything away. Thank you, jessibud, for sharing this audiobook. The way the story unravelled was wonderful and addictive yet heartbreaking.

Jessibud, you were absolutely right about it being one of those books that stay with you. I think this one will haunt me for a while.

I'll send it on to Hellie just as soon as I get her postal details.

Journal Entry 12 by drutt from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 12, 2005

This is now on its way to brendalc57

Journal Entry 13 by Brendalc57 from Sacramento, California USA on Friday, November 18, 2005

Thanks drutt...it made it here safe and sound. I hope to listen to the tapes on a trip I am planning in December to go see my parents in Arizona. It will be a good time to take the time to listen to them.

It is incredible these audio tapes have come and gone half way around the world! Thanks Jessibud for making it possible for all of us to have had the opportunity enjoy this book through these audio tapes.

Will journal again once I have finished them.

brendalc57