corner corner Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, Book 5)

Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, Book 5)
by Kelley Armstrong | Horror
Registered by CheriePie of Campbell, California USA on 6/6/2005

status (set by CheriePie): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, June 06, 2005

I'm willing to LEND books from my Personal Collection (PC) to RESPONSIBLE individuals, on the condition that you return them to me when you're done. Please see my profile for details.

The Afterlife isn't all it's cracked up to be....

In this thrilling new novel from the author of Industrial Magic, a rebellious—and formally deceased—witch must cross into the darkest dimensions to stop a killer from destroying everything she loves... for all time.

Haunted

Former supernatural superpower Eve Levine has broken all the rules. But she's never broken a promise--not even during the three years she's spent in the afterworld. So when the Fates call in a debt she gave her word she'd pay, she has no choice but to comply.

For centuries one of the ghost world's wickedest creatures has been loosed on humanity, thwarting every attempt to retrieve her. Now it has fallen to Eve to capture this demi-demon known as the Nix, who inhabits the bodies of would-be killers, compelling them to complete their deadly acts. It's a mission that becomes all too personal when the Nix targets those Eve loves most--including Savannah, the daughter she left on earth. But can a renegade witch succeed where a host of angels have failed?

Journal Entry 2 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Monday, January 23, 2006

I didn't like this, Kelley's 5th novel in her Women of the Otherworld series, nearly as much as the first four. This book centers on Eve, and unlike previous stories, has little to do with any of the other characters I've grown to know and love.

Eve is Savannah's mother, and a ghost in the afterlife. She's unsettled and is having a difficult time leaving her mortal life behind and embracing her new "afterlife" with Kristof Nash, Savannah's father whom we met in Dime Store Magic. Even though Eve cannot manifest to interact with Savannah, she still obsesses about a way to make that happen, despite Kris's attempts to convince her to move on.

The afterlife contains various dimensions, with the one inhabited by Eve and Kris specifically for supernaturals. In many cases, these worlds are very much like the world of the living, though they're often stuck in the time of their heydey, think 1920's Chicago, etc. The Fates govern this particular dimension, and decide to send Eve on a quest to hunt and banish an evil demi-demon Nix who has been taking up residence in the bodies of various women and inducing them to kill for the last hundred years. The three previous seekers they've sent have all failed, in one way or another, and the Fates are hoping that Eve can succeed where they have failed. She's assigned an angel partner, Trsiel, who can bring the Nix to justice once Eve has found her, and Kris lends a hand as well.

Eve's quest to find the Nix is the basic premise of the book, and thus very few characters from the previous book are here. Only Paige, Lucas, and Savannah come into play a little, but not nearly enough. Perhaps that's one of the greatest reasons I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others. Still, Kelley's a talented writer, and it was good to find out more about Eve and what makes her tick.