corner corner Blackberry Wine

Blackberry Wine
by Joanne Harris | Literature & Fiction
Registered by CrazyTabasco of Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

status (set by StormWarning): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Book Description
As a boy, writer Jay Mackintosh spent three golden summers in the ramshackle home of "Jackapple Joe" Cox. A lonely child, he found solace in Old Joe's simple wisdom and folk charms. The magic was lost, however, when Joe disappeared without warning one fall.

Years later, Jay's life is stalled with regret and ennui. His bestselling novel, Jackapple Joe, was published ten years earlier and he has written nothing since. Impulsively, he decides to leave his urban life in London and, sight unseen, purchases a farmhouse in the remote French village of Lansquenet. There, in that strange and yet strangely familiar place, Jay hopes to re-create the magic of those golden childhood summers. And while the spirit of Joe is calling to him, it is actually a similarly haunted, reclusive woman who will ultimately help Jay find himself again.

About the Author
Joanne Harris is the author of five critically acclaimed novels and a cookbook/memoir, My French Kitchen. Half French and half British, she lives in England.

Book details
Paperback: 334 pages; Publisher: Black Swan (April 2, 2001); ISBN: 0552998001

Journal Entry 2 by CrazyTabasco from Tuttlingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005

I started an international BookRay with this book.

BookRay participants:
7. apila (Finland)
8. ISANDRE (Switzerland/France)
9. LastMango (Canada)
10. Free release...

Journal Entry 3 by CrazyTabasco at an Bookcrosser / Freund(in) / Interessierte in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (8/19/2005 UTC) at an Bookcrosser / Freund(in) / Interessierte in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

I delivered the book face-to-face to lightblue100. Enjoy it...

CU... CT

Journal Entry 4 by lightblue100 from Konstanz, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Friday, August 19, 2005

werde berichten, sobald ich es gelesen habe. bin gespannt...

Journal Entry 5 by lightblue100 at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, October 01, 2005

Released 9 yrs ago (10/4/2005 UTC) at BookRay in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Hi Ana,

Thanks for sending me your address. I will send the book next Tuesday to you. Enjoy it!

Regards, Diana

Journal Entry 6 by APSC on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Received it just yesterday. I'll try not to keep it for too long. Thnaks CrazyTabasco and lightblue100/Diana.

Journal Entry 7 by APSC on Friday, October 28, 2005

How wonderfully written!! I just couldn't put it down!! I think I'm in love with Joanne Harris' writting. I had seen the movie "Chocolat" with Juliette Binoche and found it beautifull and charming, but now I see that beauty came from the book. Thank You, CT, for this oportunity!!!

I've already sent PM to Guadi to make sure she can receive the book.

04/11: Only today will be sent to Guadi.

Journal Entry 8 by Guadi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Just arrived, safe and sound. Thanx everyone.

Journal Entry 9 by Guadi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Friday, December 02, 2005

I'm send it in a few minutes to bestfriends.
Thanx for charing this book.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 06, 2005

book arrived today in good condition. Thanks Guadi and CrazyTabasco.

Will read it and send it on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbestfriendswing from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Friday, December 30, 2005

I liked all the books by Joanne Harris I read so far. This one would come after "Chocolat" and "Five Quarters of the Orange" though.

Sent to Semming in Finland today.

Journal Entry 12 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Arrived today, thank you. :) I've read Harris' Jigs and Reels and loved it, and also enjoyed the movie Chocolat (but haven't read the book). I've got one small book to finish before starting on this, but I think this one should be a quick read.

Journal Entry 13 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Saturday, January 28, 2006

Finished this last night. A bit of a disappointment, since I'd really enjoyed Harris' short stories (Jigs and reels) and this one started slowly. The first half of the book was slow tempoed and the chapters were too short for going back and forth all the time. The ending seemed a bit rushed, as if the author had taken all her time with the beginning and then suddenly noticed the deadline, and some of the characters, such as Jay's ex, were not believable. However, this was an entertaining book and I'll certainly read more from Harris whenever I get a chance. I loved the garden bits and the descriptions of the social life of the village and Joe's dialect was wonderfully familiar to read.

I'm planning to give this to Apila at the next Helsinki meet-up.

Journal Entry 14 by apila from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I received this book today from Semming at BC-meeting in Helsinki. I will read it in near future.

Journal Entry 15 by apila from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dispite of all the efforts I didn't find time to finish the book. The life, specially the two girls of mine, have kept me too busy. Isandre wanted to skip the ray, so the book began today it's journey over the sea to Canada.

Journal Entry 16 by LastMango from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 10, 2006

This arrived today from Finland. Thank you for passing it along.

Journal Entry 17 by LastMango from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 30, 2006

I finished this late last night. It was very good but I found it a litte difficult to get into at first. Joanne Harris always seems to write a good book.

Journal Entry 18 by LastMango from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 06, 2006

My sister hasn't read any of Joanne Harris' books so I'm passing this one along to her.

Journal Entry 19 by StormWarning from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Saturday, July 29, 2006

Received this one from Last Mango but have not started to read it yet.

Journal Entry 20 by StormWarning at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (8/9/2006 UTC) at Tunnel Mountain Campground in Banff, Alberta Canada

I dropped this book off in the Ladies Shower Room. I picked it up several times but just could not get into it. I hope someone else enjoys it.