corner corner Puberty Blues

Puberty Blues
by Gabrielle Carey | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wombles of Caboolture, Queensland Australia on 5/25/2005

status (set by NZ-2006-Con): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wombles from Caboolture, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I think I read this a long long time ago! Its a quick read so may read it before I release it!

Journal Entry 2 by wombles at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia on Thursday, June 16, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (6/18/2005 UTC) at Stones Corner Cafe and Bar in Stones Corner, Queensland Australia

Journal Entry 3 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, June 19, 2005

Picked up at the Sunday meetup at Stones Corner pub today. I was a surfie chick in Sydney back in the 70s. Maybe this is my life?

Journal Entry 4 by jawin from Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Sunday, July 17, 2005

Well, not too far off, I have to say. The authors are about three years younger than me and spent their time on Sydney's southern beaches, whereas I grew up on the northern beaches. Otherwise, it all sounded pretty familiar.

"Puberty Blues" can be read in a few hours. It's a short novel, written in simple, yet clever teenage prose byt the two 18 year old protagnonists - who went on to become well known Aussie writers (Kathy Lette, who is fmaous for being married to Geoffrey Robertson, and Gabrielle Carey). The Aussie vernacular used in this book is hilarious, and Sydney-siders will definitely relate to its setting (Cronulla). Two 13 year old chicks, Deb and Sue, seek to get out of "Dickheadland" and into the Greenhill gang who are cool and respected. Puberty Blues marks the journey of 2 girls from "nerd" to "cool", and speaks in detail about the sacrifices they make to get there. They manage to snare cool boyfriends, but they must go to desperate lengths to keep them around and not get "dropped". The girls experiment with drugs, sex and relationships throughout the book. Watching them willingly subordinate themselves to their older boyfriends is tough for someone who has been there. In fact, much of the journey of these precocious girls is familiar and therefore absolutely relevant to adolescent females everywhere, especially Australia. It's like the feminized answer to J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye". The ending is satisfying and ultimately life-affirming. Overall, a thoroughly worthwhile book.

Journal Entry 5 by cackleberry on Saturday, December 03, 2005

Paperback. 120 pages. Published 1980.

Collected this book from jawin for inclusion in the "OZ Box-o'-Books" destined for the NZ Bookcrossing Convention...

Journal Entry 6 by cackleberry at Sherwood Post Office in Sherwood, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Released 11 yrs ago (12/7/2005 UTC) at Sherwood Post Office in Sherwood, Queensland Australia

Posted this book to boreal in New Zealand as part of cackleberry's contribution for the 2006 New Zealand Bookcrossing Convention to be held at Dunedin 17-19 February 2006.

Together with 19 other books; mailed at the Post Office Sherwood Road Sherwood Brisbane Queensland Australia at 2.00pm Thursday 08 December 2005.

Journal Entry 7 by NZ-2006-Con from Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Wednesday, December 21, 2005

This book and many of its friends arrived today. Thanks for sending it everyone, your contribution is greatly appreciated.