corner corner The Vanishing Princess

The Vanishing Princess
by Jenny Diski | Literature & Fiction
Registered by UrbanSpaceman of Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/24/2005

status (set by BookGroupMan): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Welcome to The Vanishing Princess Book Ray

This started as a ring on 16 June 2005, but I changed it to a ray in May 2006.

Jenny Diski

Jenny Diski was born in London in 1947. She was educated at University College, London, and worked as a teacher during the 1970s and early 1980s. She is a regular contributor to The Observer and the London Review of Books.

Her novels include Nothing Natural (1986), Rainforest (1987), Then Again (1990), Happily Ever After (1991) and The Dream Mistress (1996). She has also written a number of other books and essays.

Member/Location

PatchworkPerson, Milton Keynes
GlitterLover, Farncombe

... and then who knows?

How it works

- If you wish to be added to the list, please PM me with your details.
- We will kick off once we have 5(ish) members.
- You will be sending the book to the person who appears after you in the list, so you need to PM them to get their address.
- It's not a race, but please read and send the book on as speedily as you can, other people are dying to read it too.
- Please journal the book once you have received it (so we all know where it currently is) and again when you have read it (so we know what you thought of it).
- If you're the last person on the list, then please release it/pass it on.

Journal Entry 2 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Although I have read Diski's two travelogue/biographies Strangers on A Train and Skating to Antarctica, this collection of short stories is the first of Diski's fictions that I have come across.

The stories are intelligent, witty and diverse covering contemporary themes, fairy tales, and some quasi-biographical topics as well (those the latter will only be obvious to readers of the books mentioned above). Some are deeply humorous, others darker and more disturbing.

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2005

Posted to PatchworkPerson yesterday.

Journal Entry 4 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 18, 2005

Came by post yesterday (17/06/05) from Urban Spaceman. Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 5 by PatchworkPerson from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 09, 2005

I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. On it's way to Glitter Lover today.

Journal Entry 6 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, July 18, 2005

received safe and well. I am pleased to say that I am on holiday for ages so I wil lbe reading this one and then back to you Mr Spaceman. Thanks for Ringing it. Look forward to the read.

Journal Entry 7 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006

My attitude to books has changed a bit over the last year, so I'm converting this from a ring to a ray and it can fly free when Glitterlover is done with it.

Journal Entry 8 by GlitterLover from Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, July 09, 2006

Oh the embarassment, she disappeared indeed for a while.
I shall ray her onwards via the Forum.

Journal Entry 9 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, December 21, 2006

Taken from Glitterlovers bookbox

Journal Entry 10 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Oh how could I be so late in making a journal entry.
It was only when I decided to move this book on that I realised I hadn't journalled it after reading. Hangs head in shame.

I loved this brilliant colection of short stories. They are so diverse you never know what is coming next. Witty and entertaining and totally original.

I'm putting this into BookGroupMans 3rd Birthday Bookbox, because I think he will like it.

Journal Entry 11 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2007

Part of my returning birthday book box. Thank you :-)

This is just the sort of book that I hoped to find, an introduction to a new author for me, 'Jenny Diski's short stories are dark and diverting.'

Journal Entry 12 by BookGroupMan at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 11, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2009 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taken along to today's Ipswich meet-up.

If you find this, welcome to BookCrossing, please write a journal here to let us know what happens to the book :)